Author Topic: This Weather - Crusher of Dreams  (Read 1038 times)

Offline billebob5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG
This Weather - Crusher of Dreams
« on: Feb 19, 2016, 11:38 AM »
So I have a guys trip planned to Indiana next weekend (2/26).  We had dreams of crushing big pike on tip ups, jigging up some of the areas finest gills and crappie, drinking famous amounts of Miller Lite and eating godlike portions of fried food and bacon, but mother nature apparently has other plans.

Anyone have any ideas on good ice north of the border in MI or even WI?  I'm game for anywhere within 5-6 hours of Aurora, IL.  I already had to cancel one ice fishing trip this year and I REFUSE to cancel another.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I've looked at Saginaw Bay, LBDN (I know that's not within my original range but still), Goebic, Houghton, and I've seen guys on here posting about Cadillac.

I'm desperate.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated!! 

For the record, I have no ATV/UTV or sled so I'd be walking in anywhere I go or relying on hiring a guide.  I'm sure as heck not driving on any lake any time soon with my own vehicle.

thank you for your consideration and ideas!
Clam Bigfoot 
Marcum
Jiffy Stealth
K-Drill!

Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: This Weather - Crusher of Dreams
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2016, 02:19 PM »
I lived in Michigan last year and fished the Saginaw River and the Bay, so I have been keeping tabs on ice conditions. Currently there is semi-safe ice. However, with the temps and winds that are here today and headed to MI tomorrow, it may not be good by the weekend. Check out Saginaw River Monsters on Facebook or michigansportsman.com->ice fishing forums-> saginaw bay and tributaries to see about ice as guys post constantly about conditions. I would say your luck would be better if you head north towards Madison or even a bit further north. Good luck!

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2016, 02:50 PM »
I would suggest petenwell or castle rock lakes up north of the dells both lakes are next to each other and walking out to fish able water is not bad the warm weather should kill most of the snow and make walking easier just get a map and look for quick breaks from like 15-20 feet of water on the main river channel or the old river Chanel plus if you go to lake- link on the petenwell page and scroll back to the beginning of December there is a post that will tell you everything you need to know about fishing this lake
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2016, 03:00 PM »
I just went and looked the info was posted on the petenwell page on 1/4/16 it was back on page 17
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline billebob5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2016, 03:22 PM »
Thanks man!
Clam Bigfoot 
Marcum
Jiffy Stealth
K-Drill!

Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.

Offline kam9381

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:34 AM »
I am headed to Sturgeon Bay this weekend.  They have plenty of ice, and willing Whitefish/Walleye.  Look up guides for Green Bay, almost all of them have a deal where you rent an ice house for the day, and they transport you to and from.

Offline Hsiftac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:31 PM »
+1 I am also going to sturgeon bay this weekend for some whitefish (hopefully walleye too). Heard they had lots of spots with feet of water on top of the ice but should be fine by the weekend...?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.