Author Topic: modern opinion on the Vex pro view ducer  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
modern opinion on the Vex pro view ducer
« on: Feb 18, 2016, 04:43 PM »
Looking at the flx28 and fl22hd. The 28 mainly comes with the proview which seems kind of backwards on how it works. I found a 22 that has a straight 12 degree. Both units are priced very good. The 28 is in a Genz pack and the 22 a pro pack. Most of my fishing is 10 to 25 fow near or on brush piles mainly crappie. I have been using a LX5 for several years and it works like a champ and is not for sale. Im looking at the two Vex units just because I can and they have a dimmable display. Lets keep talk just about the 22 / 28 and transducers. BTW the tri beam looks like a better choice than the pro view.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: modern opinion on the Vex pro view ducer
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2016, 05:29 PM »
out of the 2 vexilars the flx28 is the better machine.the proview would work great in lp mode in 10 to 25 ft.i fished the last 3 days in 10ft and could tame my jig to a thin green line.weed mode would also be nice for those brush pile crappies.ive ran the proview since it came out and have no problems with it in any depth might be  a little blobby in 5 ft or less but any ducer on a vexilar that shallow will be.i also run the tribeam on my fl20 and like it also but the proview is basically the same thing without the manual switch.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2016, 05:50 PM »
One other thing I forgot to ask is on the 28 it had one review that stated the 2015/16 models would lock up after ten to fifteen min of running. You need to send them back for some sort of update. Thanks.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2016, 06:15 PM »
One other thing I forgot to ask is on the 28 it had one review that stated the 2015/16 models would lock up after ten to fifteen min of running. You need to send them back for some sort of update. Thanks.
never had that problem.i run mine sun up to sundown each time out.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2016, 07:05 PM »
Probably just a freak deal.

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2016, 08:56 PM »
I have the FLX 28, it originally came with the Proview transducer. After a year of using the Proview I couldn't stand it. I purchased the new style Tribeam transducer at the beginning of the ice fishing season, and I love it. The Proview was too sensitive for my liking, my jigs were too large for my liking. ( Even with the unit in LP mode). I also own a LX 7 and prefer my FLX 28.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline WiMeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2016, 09:40 AM »
I have the FLX28 with the proview and have no issues. Another user mentioned weed mode, to me that is a game changer to be able to filter out most of the clutter and concentrate on seeing and catching fish. We have been doing well on gills in crappies in 10-15 fow with standing weeds on the bottom. Weed mode eliminates most of the weed noise and we can concentrate on seeing fish!
WiMeatHunter

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2016, 10:15 AM »
my experience with the proview was not a positive one.  we fished all over the place and fished for multiple species for a week.  the ducer did well in 15-25' of water.   any shallower and it was terrible compared to the tribeam.  due to large marks and smaller cone angles trying to keep the gain to near 0.  in deeper than 25, you had to turn the gain up enough to where your cone angle was huge and we found lots of deadspots when fishing areas with lots of boulders.     

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2016, 12:20 PM »
I like the dual beam on my LX5 and its sounding like I probably would be a tri beam fan over the proview so far.

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2016, 06:31 PM »
Not a fan of the proview at all.  Super sensitive even at low gain.  I have a new tribeam as well.  As far as I am concerned it is perfect.  Even in shallow I can get my spoons with minnow head down to a few small hairlines.  Works awesome in 120fow also on the 8 degree setting.  Do not understand why vexilar has pushed the proview as an all in one.  I'd buy a 19, 12, and pro separate before I used exclusively the proview.

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2016, 08:49 PM »
Vexilar has a video explaining the 4 different cones they offer its either on their website or YouTube hopefully that'll help you

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2016, 09:04 PM »
I  just wanted to hear from the real people that actually use them and hopefully give an honest opinion.

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2016, 08:16 AM »
I'd take a flx28 over a 22 any day.  It's just plain a nicer unit.  I'm not a fan of the Proview, but love my 28 with a tribeam though.  I keep on taking my Proview with me to compare the two when I get bored, but the results are always the same, tribeam wins unless in deep water.  Weed mode might work well under certain conditions, but if it suppresses the power enough that it's not picking up a weed a foot or two from your hole, it's also not going to pick up your tiny jigs very well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.