Author Topic: fun year  (Read 1276 times)

Offline someday

• IceShanty Rookie
fun year
« on: Feb 17, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Well I'm done icefishing for the year. I went to an area lake tonight caught some nice fish and kept 8 for supper. Used plastic for the first time and it worked very well, was just about out of wax worms and thought I might as well try the plastics I had bought. Was really surprised how well they worked. I even caught back to back gills that where pushing the 10" mark. Let both go, just can never allow myself to take a knife to a fish that nice. First was a bull and the second was a female, funny how fish school by size most of the time. Hope everybody stays safe as we are near the end of the season. If someone has some suggestions on how to catch a catfish through the ice I would really like to learn how. In 35 years of ice fishing I have caught 1 so if you guys have suggestions I would be interested in how you are doing it. Thanks and good fishing

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: fun year
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2016, 12:03 AM »
I've caught quite a few cats through the ice, some by accident. But when targeting them deadstick with a small sinker, Kahle hook, and usually guts from shad, bluegill or crappie work just fine. Send to the bottom and reel til line is tight then another half crank. Set the pole on a bucket close by, or right on the ice propping the tip up with an aluminum can or something similar. Hope this helps.

Offline someday

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2016, 04:07 PM »
Thanks for the reply eyecrosser65, didn't think it would be that simple but I'm sure going to try it next year. Should work on a tip-up also, wouldn't it?

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2016, 07:24 PM »
Should work really well for a tip up presentation!

Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Martinezb9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2016, 10:34 PM »
Went to Stagecoach south of Lincoln this year and only caught catfish. There was no technique to it drop anything down and pull out a catfish. If the bite slowed down drill a hole 20ft away and start over again. Was not what I was looking for but it was sure fun to have an all day bite one after another.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 05:02 PM »
we fish cats in winter the same as we do in summer. cut bait or liver. tip ups work great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.