Author Topic: New gear  (Read 4132 times)

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
New gear
« on: Feb 17, 2016, 01:35 PM »
Anyone else this year make big purchase for ice fishing that they are not going to get to use. I upgraded from a clam nanook shanty it is starting to get a little small for my boy and me.  Bass pro had the frabil predotor on sale so I picked it up. Been in my garage in the box since the second week of January.  I also bought new blades for the auger that are sitting on the table.   :tipup:     Mark

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New gear
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2016, 06:28 AM »
Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat.  Bought a new Otter XTH Resort and Otter Pro Sled, hyfax, hitch, and cover and never got to use any of it.  Made a Smitty Sled for when I walk it out.  Also bought a custom walleye rod and new Shimano Sienna 500 to go along with it and haven't used any of it once.  Definitely bummed out, but what can ya do?  Figure I spent around $1000 on gear that I won't be able to use this year.  We'll be set for next year though!

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2016, 06:13 PM »
Just got a Jiffy Pro4lite 8" auger and a 6" Nils hand auger
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline HookBender

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2016, 08:40 AM »
Ohhhh! So it's your guys fault for our almost non existent season last year huh?!

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2016, 05:29 AM »
No upgrades so far for this season. Last year was a good for gear for me: Niles auger with a Clam Plate, Adaptor & DeWalt 20v Brushless Drill.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline kjpaxson175

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2016, 06:18 PM »
I updated to the new Frabill Bro side step! (Why didn't anyone think of this sooner!) And the New IonX auger! Now I need to tell my wife!

http://www.ioniceaugers.com/8-inch-ion-x-electric-ice-auger

http://www.frabill.com/new-products/ice-shelters/bro-flip-over.html

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2016, 06:53 PM »
I updated to the new Frabill Bro side step! (Why didn't anyone think of this sooner!) And the New IonX auger! Now I need to tell my wife!

I hope you have a very comfortable couch!!  ;)2 :whistle:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2016, 07:08 PM »

Better to have and ask forgiveness...
Sweet

Offline Fishing Buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2017, 04:52 AM »
What she don't know won't hurt here lol

Offline IceBucky

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • DONT SETTLE FIND THE FISH
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2017, 09:14 PM »
New boots. 2240 gr. Thinsulate.  Love them

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2017, 12:02 AM »
mothballs to re-store all my gear.  >:( >:(
really had hope for this season too! upgraded my stuff about 5yrs ago and it's only got 2yrs of use.
boats still ready to go though ;)

Offline thebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:58 AM »
Added two yamaha phazers, 23 ft trailer, tons of custom mods to the gear, turned a helix 12 into an ice unit and added a helix 9 for gps on the machines so it can bounce between them all.

We usually hit 3-5 states a year ice fishing; open water troll erie on the other weekends.

Be safe boys; erie isn't gonna happen.

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:03 AM »
I think erie does freeze up and were on by the 15th of feb...Major pattern change commin...

Offline thebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:14 AM »
I think erie does freeze up and were on by the 15th of feb...Major pattern change commin...

I can't tell if you're serious or being sarcastic here.

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2017, 01:03 PM »
I guess we wait till the 15th and see...BTW I fish from put in bay...

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:16 PM »
hope your right......but we were on the boat just south of kellys yesterday. a couple years ago we were just starting to make ice and it turned into a good season so there is some possibility of it happening. got some gear on middle bass just in case ;)

Offline thebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2017, 07:04 AM »
Smashed eyes sat and sunday, threw back atleast 150# of fish, not as fun when it's not through the ice, but anchor mode and ice fishing gear sure worked wonders

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:19 AM »
Glad you got fish,but this site is called ICE SHANTY for a reason..I cant speak for anyone else but I love to ice fish..My boat stayed in the barn...

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:46 AM »
Glad you got fish,but this site is called ICE SHANTY for a reason..I cant speak for anyone else but I love to ice fish..My boat stayed in the barn...
I LOVE TO ICEFISH too! not going to drive 10 hours to do it though when the best walleye fishing is at my door. just taking what I've been givin' is all. only thing different was my rod and ride. caught them on pimples and raps, anchored, with the lowerance in flasher mode. about as close as you could get to ice fishing on Jan. 21 with 60* weather.
I think I saw you fly by a couple times ;D

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:07 PM »
I don't think you get it but that's fine ill let it go...

Offline thebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:28 AM »
I LOVE TO ICEFISH too! not going to drive 10 hours to do it though when the best walleye fishing is at my door. just taking what I've been givin' is all. only thing different was my rod and ride. caught them on pimples and raps, anchored, with the lowerance in flasher mode. about as close as you could get to ice fishing on Jan. 21 with 60* weather.
I think I saw you fly by a couple times ;D

Amen, see you're a logical person I can relate to. What good does it do to drive 6 hours to bago or simcoe when I can literally fish 25min from my back door and catch giants. I would've loved more eater size fish but heck, its hard to gripe about 11# doubles and throwing back 32" 12+ fish. Jigging in 40fow was certainly a hoot, clown raps, buckshots and rattle streaks were the ticket for us. Ran out of minnows so we started using fish eyes, craziest thing I've done but man it worked.

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2017, 01:36 PM »
I might not be LOGICAL to you.But I think I will be on the ice by the 15th...And again its not fishin I love its ice fishin...

Offline thebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2017, 08:09 AM »

60s
This week; how you feeling Mr. Magic 8 ball?

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2017, 08:48 AM »
This time last week our forecast looked like a maybe to get out on the pond and New York (we love Chautauqua ) was all twenties and teens at nite. That hole forecast went out the window last Tuesday. The way this winter started I would have thought for sure we would have gotten out on Eire at some point. The accu weather reallly looks bad. If u want to fish this year it is going to have to be a road trip. I have friends in mich.  this weekend on 12in I have also been really looking at simcoe. Both places only 6 hours. Just yeasterday I signed my son up for a passport.  ROAD TRIP!  Mark :tipup:

Offline Full_Choke

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2017, 11:46 AM »
Upgraded to a used side x side Oct 2015, propane auger after Christmas, Eskimo 949i couple of weeks ago.
Simcoe is looking good now.

Offline thebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2017, 05:10 PM »
Simcoe has been insane but man it's been tough. One day this works and we have our limits in no time, the next day 40 fish for both and tough fishing.

Week days have been best, crowded on weekends but still fishable.

Sag bay has been hit and miss, seems
Like four or five days good fishing then it's gone, again the crowds are what ruins it. You'd think it was Lake Erie 2014 by how close these guys get, it's astonishing. Looks like it'll be another boatable weekend; since there is ZERO chance of getting on erie.

Offline thebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2017, 10:36 AM »

How's that ice looking? The only ice you're gonna have even at PIB is in your drink.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.