Author Topic: Meddling Busybodies strike again...  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
Meddling Busybodies strike again...
« on: Feb 16, 2016, 10:47 AM »
 I hit Lincoln Woods this morning about 715. I drilled a lot of holes and measured in a bunch of different places around North Cove. The thinnest it was in any one spot was 6 1/2 inches. It was eight in many spots. Overall, it was definitely safe.  The fishing was not hot and heavy, but I managed some perch and a small bass on the jig stick, with one slime dart on a trap. I missed a few other flags.

At  around 1030, somebody was shouting at me from the road to get off the ice. Turned out it was a statie.  He said "people" had been calling in about me being out there.  I was planning on packing up soon anyway, so that was not the end of the world. Still, it ticks me off that there are so many folks out there who cannot mind their own business. This was a total repeat of what happened on Barney's Pond in January ( though this time at least they got a chance to catch some fish ).

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Meddling Busybodies strike again...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2016, 11:54 AM »
That's crazy. I know you were leaving but I would not have left.
Just add water.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2016, 12:00 PM »
Why do all east coast forums have these reports?  I can't imagine this happening out here. Of course,  our small town services will just let you die, so there's that.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Dankenstein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2016, 12:02 PM »
That stinks.  You finally get good safe ice and can't even fish it. Those armchair ice checkers can be a real pain.  Must be tough being a statie in that position, I am sure they just need the calls to stop in case there is a real issue.

Offline Dankenstein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2016, 12:04 PM »
Why do all east coast forums have these reports?  I can't imagine this happening out here. Of course,  our small town services will just let you die, so there's that.
I would guess more populated areas = more people checking in on you.  Although in Maine no one would call either, they would just be expecting another Darwin award. ;D

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2016, 12:27 PM »
Ice fishing should always be " AT YOUR OWN RISK". 
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2016, 12:27 PM »
This is America Right ;D
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline Ballbag

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2016, 01:29 PM »
Good to hear there was that much ice and you caught some fish. Gotta hide in the Lincoln area these days  :whistle: :whistle:

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2016, 01:32 PM »
Next time out, dress in all white.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline TheManDJV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2016, 08:56 PM »
Absolutely ridiculous... I wish you could actually challenge them on it and what they think is reasonable ice thickness to safely fish on, I understand if its people calling the police , however if nothing illegal is happening do they really need to go bust your chops? Anywho I'm probably avoiding the Lincoln area altogether next year after hearing this and when we got booted outta Barney,God willing we have a next year after this season
Flaaaaaaaaaaaag!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2016, 03:07 PM »
Just a quick update -  I emailed a few officials in the state of RI and provided them laws from other states. They are in the process of reviewing their regulations and they are going to forward my concern for consideration. Maybe not a victory, but something.
Just add water.

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2016, 03:30 AM »
you could  always ask the trooper to come out and help pick up your gear

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2016, 03:45 AM »
People need to mind their own business.  If you were there legally I don't see any reason to tell you to leave, maybe tell you people called and ask if you're ok but that's it.

Offline fredjiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2016, 11:09 AM »
Sorry this happened. It's the fault of so many well intentioned citizens. It seems like we are losing more and more of our freedoms. Be safe and God Bless. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.