New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Best Laker Lakes  (Read 1140 times)

Offline countryrebel127

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best Laker Lakes
« on: Feb 15, 2016, 07:59 PM »
Was wondering what everyones opinions were on the best lakes in the adks for big lakers??

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Best Laker Lakes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2016, 08:08 PM »
Lake George!!!!!!!!!!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2016, 08:11 PM »
easy the KING!!!

Offline backwoodsboy-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2016, 08:13 PM »
Champlain

Offline BornOutside

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Too many seasons.....not enough time
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2016, 08:48 PM »
LG personal favorite
I'll always ❤️

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2016, 05:10 AM »
Lake George of course.  4th Lake further up north has some good ones.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2016, 05:50 AM »
lake champlain easily.

free adult image hosting

JJ

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2016, 07:51 AM »
Don't catch them over 40" (or 20+ lbs) in many lakes in NY, George has produced bigger lakers than Champlain in the past.

(need to re scan that pic.)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2016, 09:14 AM »
Raquette has a lot but you have to catch 25 shorts before you catch a keeper...    :-\   :P
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2016, 09:24 AM »
blue mountain if your patient some real beauts.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2016, 10:35 AM »
how about taylor pond and lake placid where some bigger than 20lbs have been taken. dont see many pics of big lakers coming out of george most fish run 21 to 24 inches and are alot scarcer. all in all there are lots of good laker lakes in ny including ontario where 20 lbers are common from the pics i have seen. george is good for lakers but wish the salmon fishing was better. i guess salmon cant reproduce on george for some reason. maybe they should try introducing steelehead on george.

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2016, 10:42 AM »
The salmon fishing has improved tremendously in this last year. The Sebago strain is taking off. Probably caught 20 plus salmon over 20 inches since October. That was from a sidewalk and a kayak. Biggest landed was 27 inches and saw many over 30 this fall. They do act a little different from the old strain, running deeper and closer to the smelt schools.  The fact that the Sebago strain has been in the lake for only a couple of years should bode well for the coming season.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2016, 02:48 PM »
The salmon fishing has improved tremendously in this last year. The Sebago strain is taking off. Probably caught 20 plus salmon over 20 inches since October. That was from a sidewalk and a kayak. Biggest landed was 27 inches and saw many over 30 this fall. They do act a little different from the old strain, running deeper and closer to the smelt schools.  The fact that the Sebago strain has been in the lake for only a couple of years should bode well for the coming season.
that is a good sign for george since everyone i have been in contact with says they are really scarce. thanks for the info.

JJ

« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2016, 06:57 AM »
Never seen a pic of a 20+ laker from Champlain. George has produced bigger landlocks in the past, too. I just think it is interesting that the smaller lake has had bigger fish of each species caught in it.

The landlock fisheries are dependent on stocking in both lakes, the Sebagos have been stocked in Champ for a few years longer, though.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2016, 08:32 AM »
Never seen a pic of a 20+ laker from Champlain. George has produced bigger landlocks in the past, too. I just think it is interesting that the smaller lake has had bigger fish of each species caught in it.

yes, but things are changing, have you seen the weights in the last few years LCI's ? ? ?

the alewives are changing things

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2016, 08:53 AM »
I think that Champlain will eventually get the bigger fish now that they have gotten a handle on the lampreys. Bigger water Bigger fish on average. I am just glad that the Sebago's are doing so well in Lake George.  It would be interesting to see how they
 would do in Great Sacandaga.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:57 AM »

The landlock fisheries are dependent on stocking in both lakes, the Sebagos have been stocked in Champ for a few years longer, though.
your right in the past. george took some big salmon and lakers and now champlain is getting them and the average size of salmon and lakers i catch are big and fat and healthy fish. champlain has come a long way and its very easy to catch big lakers salmon browns steelhead and you dont even need a boat. salmon are stocked heavily in champlain and they are doing well as i have fished champlain tributarys all winter and done very well with the bite being steady and the salmon averaging 4 to 5 lbs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.