The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip Down Ideas  (Read 2075 times)

Offline potatosal

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip Down Ideas
« on: Feb 15, 2016, 05:31 PM »
Does anyone have a great homemade or store bought design for tip downs?  My grandfather gave me his since he can no longer fish.  I had a blast with them this past weekend but I had a lot of misses.  I found a few designs on ebay and youtube that look promising.  Anyone care to share their tip down design?
Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for life.  Give a man someone else's fish and he'll vote for you.

Offline LENNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Tip Down Ideas
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2016, 11:44 AM »
Sounds like the ones you have work good, maybe your choice of hook/jig is the problem. try changing that up and see how you do. I like small circle hooks for crappies when using smaller minnows and change to horizontal jigs for larger like walleye/bass occasionally add a stinger hook if they just lip the minnow and wait for you to jerk it. Good luck...

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2016, 02:37 PM »
I built around 30 of them so far.  I used crappie guys design.  Deadly this time of the year on crappies and perch. 

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=260539.0

Offline potatosal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2016, 03:46 PM »
What size circle hooks do you use?  I've made a switch to fluorocarbon line and that made a difference.  My current rods are a very short length so I think if I am not quick to respond right away the fish feels resistance and drops the minnow.  I ordered a new one from tipdown.com and will give that a try.
Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for life.  Give a man someone else's fish and he'll vote for you.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2016, 03:51 PM »
Nice video ....got to get to the tip down when rod is horizontal

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline potatosal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2016, 11:09 AM »
Thanks for everyone's advice.  I am going to position the tip downs a lot closer to me while jigging so I can respond faster.  That seems to be my issue with missed fish. 

I received my order from www.tipdown.com this week and I am really impressed.  The entire tip down collapses into a short tube and the reel fits inside.  I was going to make some of my own out of PVC but would end up spending pretty close to their $32 asking price by the time I bought all the couplers and a rod.  I am glad to support a local WI business.  I will report back with results!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2016, 07:09 PM »
Do a review and video of your experiences
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.