Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Limit question  (Read 4702 times)

Offline duckaholic76

• IceShanty Rookie
Limit question
« on: Feb 15, 2016, 02:12 PM »
I'm taking my stepson up to Okoboji this weekend and I can't remember if he can catch his own limit of fish or if it goes against mine. He is only 9 years old

Offline dcmod25

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Limit question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2016, 02:56 PM »
15 and under can have there own limit in iowa without a license. good luck

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2016, 03:15 PM »
Follow up question, has anyone ever asked the DNR about redear sunfish?  The regs do not clarify that.  It lists pumpkinseed though.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline duckaholic76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2016, 04:19 PM »
Thank you I thought that was the case but I couldn't remember for sure

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2016, 07:19 PM »
Kids get their own limit of all fish except trout. Trout count against your limit unless you get them a trout stamp.

There is no limit of redear, green, or orange spotted sunfish. Just bluegill and pumpkinseed. This is new wording, it used to say "sunfish and their hybrids"
EYECONICFISHING

Offline dekalbnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2016, 07:37 PM »
Not to Hyjack this thread, but what about fishing in two or 3 states in the same day.  Can a person have a limit of the same species in each one??

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2016, 08:07 PM »
Yes. Just cant have over a states limit in posession at a lake.  For instance if i have an IL license i can go to a lake in IL and keep a limit then come back to Iowa and toss the fish in the freezer and go catch an IA limit. I cannot take the IL limit with me to an IA lake and then keep more fish, the DNR would have no way of knowing where they were caught. I hope that makes sense?

You can NOT keep a daily limit from two bodies of water in the same state on the same day. I cant go to lost grove and keep 25 gills then go to the river and get 25 more.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline ICEHOUND22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2016, 04:27 PM »
Does the rule of a kid keeping his own limit also apply to out of state line license  holders? I have a friend from out of state wanting to bring his kids to boji to fish and I didn't see anything in the regs that specifically stated so? Thanks for any help.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2016, 04:47 PM »
same laws apply to non res fishing in iowa.

You can call the DNR and ask them with any questions regarding regulations. you can also call your local conservation officer as well, the phone numbers are in the back of the regulations booklet.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline SDPerchPounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2016, 12:36 PM »
3 limits from 3 states in one day? Might not hurt to throw a few back if you every find yourself in that scenario..

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2016, 07:29 AM »
3 limits from 3 states in one day? Might not hurt to throw a few back if you every find yourself in that scenario..

No kidding.  I would never want to clean that many fish at once.

Offline dekalbnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2016, 10:45 AM »
I didn't say that was my plan but have fished MN and IA in the same day.  And if its walleyes it wouldn't be that many fish to clean.  Also, don't worry I let a lot of fish go every year.  I keep plenty too, but I always release a lot.

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2016, 12:48 PM »
you haven't fished very much for yellow bass

Offline dekalbnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2016, 09:57 PM »
you haven't fished very much for yellow bass
e

.???  I haven't fished much for yellow bass?  2000+ yellows in the last three years isn't fishing yellow bass much?  I've fished them a lot. Open water and hard water. Also won the YBB at clear lake last year and we placed 7th this year and 5th two years ago. Trust me I know a thing or two about yellow bass.......

Offline dcmod25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2016, 08:08 AM »
pretty sure he was talking about blake saying he wouldnt want clean that many fish

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2016, 09:01 AM »
pretty sure he was talking about blake saying he wouldnt want clean that many fish

Maybe, but it was funnier this way
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2016, 09:32 AM »
Who said anything about yellow bass?  ??? 

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2016, 12:08 PM »
sorry dekalbnick if you thought I was talking about you  just meant that if you haven't fished yellow bass  it's nothing to clean 50-75 at a time

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2016, 10:14 AM »
Just because I don't keep 100 fish doesn't mean I haven't caught them. I used to catch 100's on some days at Black Hawk before they killed it off. The last thing I wanna do after fishing all day is clean a bucket full. That's just me.

Offline dekalbnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2016, 12:45 PM »
sorry dekalbnick if you thought I was talking about you  just meant that if you haven't fished yellow bass  it's nothing to clean 50-75 at a time

Ok, no problem

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2016, 05:48 PM »
Just because I don't keep 100 fish doesn't mean I haven't caught them. I used to catch 100's on some days at Black Hawk before they killed it off. The last thing I wanna do after fishing all day is clean a bucket full. That's just me.

That's why I pay the bait shop and encourage others to do the same. 

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2016, 08:03 PM »
wish we had somebody to do it winter put ice on them till am summer the DNR or the Clear Lake Fishing Club has a fish cleaning station    Always leave a donation

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2016, 09:01 PM »
You could do it. A few high school kids, some electric knives and Skin zits and you are golden. Once you find a facility, that is.

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:06 AM »
live 40 mi from lake & where do you find hs kids that want to work today

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Aug 17, 2016, 09:08 PM »

I've done it with walleye...was a long early & late day. SD, MN, & Iowa. Was sheer luck and doubt it will ever happen again.  Between going with different friends, the bite being on, and timing just working out for it to happen it was like winning the power ball lol. Ended up giving/donating most the fish to a fundraiser fish fry. Which was kinda most the reason it happened. Everybody was kinda fishing to help get fish for the fundraiser so they didn't have to buy so much.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Aug 21, 2016, 11:54 AM »
So agronomist you drive to 3 different states in one day and catch a limit of walleyes at each state only to give away?  Well way too go, I wish I had that much time and money to waste. Why even go? Just to brag on the www in the middle of summer on a ice fishing forum.

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Aug 21, 2016, 06:13 PM »
You know if someone wants to buy 3-5 fishing licenses and pay that out of state fee. Then do all that traveling to catch fish and give it away. 🤔Hmmmm He has that right. Giving fish away to elderly people, food drive, fundraiser or just giving me to people who love to eat fish but are afraid of water (cause they can swim) or the people who are afraid of the ice (cause they don't to fall through) Many way of catching fish and giving em away..... is sometime the right thing to do and it makes you feel good that you can.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #27 on: Aug 21, 2016, 09:02 PM »
So agronomist you drive to 3 different states in one day and catch a limit of walleyes at each state only to give away?  Well way too go, I wish I had that much time and money to waste. Why even go? Just to brag on the www in the middle of summer on a ice fishing forum.

Yeah I did. I can be in 3 different states within an hour.. It's called a hobbie. Why else would I go. I doubt I can ever justify the cost of my boat, wheel house shack, 4 wheeler, portable, or $1,000's of dollars of gear.  ???  I didn't try or plan to hit 3 states. Just happened by chance, and happened because we were all fishing for a cause. Donated fish for the fish fry bought a lot of gifts for children during the holidays....can't say that was a bad deal.  I usually donate quite a few fish to fundraisers. I enjoy fishing, and I harvest fish Within my legal rights. I usually try to harvest "eater" 14in fish, and let the larger ones go. So why do you fish?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #28 on: Aug 21, 2016, 09:09 PM »
You know if someone wants to buy 3-5 fishing licenses and pay that out of state fee. Then do all that traveling to catch fish and give it away. 🤔Hmmmm He has that right. Giving fish away to elderly people, food drive, fundraiser or just giving me to people who love to eat fish but are afraid of water (cause they can swim) or the people who are afraid of the ice (cause they don't to fall through) Many way of catching fish and giving em away..... is sometime the right thing to do and it makes you feel good that you can.

I get a SD, MN, and IA fishing license every year. I don't think it is really uncommon for people in this area to do so.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Aug 21, 2016, 09:20 PM »
I usually get a MN and SD license on top of my Iowa license every year too. I know a lot of folks that do up here in the NW corner of Iowa.

Agro, congrats on the tri-state limit. Haters gonna hate... Rhythms with Bates...

I eat fish maybe once or twice a month. I spend a lot of money on fishing and I let a lot of fish go. I'd rather let them go than give them away. I do give some away, but I'd rather not clean fish than clean them and let them sit in the deep freeze for over a year. I just enjoy fishing is all.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.