Author Topic: any word on maziona ice conditions?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline double rig jig

• IceShanty Rookie
any word on maziona ice conditions?
« on: Feb 14, 2016, 08:52 PM »
want to get out tomorrow morning. does anyone have any info on ice conditions?

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: any word on maziona ice conditions?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2016, 07:23 PM »
I was in the South unit Wilderness area and ice varied from 4.5 inches to just over 5 inches. Bite was super slow and very lite. Black worked best for us on 4 different lakes 12-21 fow . Pondo had open water straight out from the docks by the duck blind you could see ice was 5.5 inches to 6 inches with about 2.5 inches of fresh snow. Pondo produced the best for us on diamond glow with glow plastics tipped with a waxie or spike 10-38 fow Actually caught 3 nice keeper gills in 38 fow. Some areas are show shore line issue's. I would bring the spud and check as you go. Ice was slick even with the fresh snow. I'm headed to the chain tomorrow looking for a better bite. Good luck and be safe.
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline FourSeasonAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2016, 01:22 PM »
I'll be out there tomorrow, probably somewhere on the North Unit though. I'll update here with ice conditions but with the coming warm spell they will deteriorate fast.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2016, 04:53 PM »
I'm done at Mazonia unless we get a major cold front again. Those strip mine are nothing to mess around with-3 steps off the bank and your already in 15 fow with most of them averaging 30+.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2016, 06:28 PM »
Be very Careful. It appears that a young man lost his life on a strip mine lake about 1 mile south of the north unit on Shannon Lake, Essex  IL :(

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2016, 08:08 PM »
Be very Careful. It appears that a young man lost his life on a strip mine lake about 1 mile south of the north unit on Shannon Lake, Essex  IL :(
Update it turns out it was an 85 year old man not a teen as reported earlier.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/02/17/85-year-old-essex-man-dies-after-atv-falls-through-ice/

Offline FourSeasonAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2016, 10:11 AM »
Fished Carp and Gar in the North Unit as well as Long Lake in the South Unit yesterday from 6am to 3pm. Carp and Gar were not in good shape, most areas had 1" of slush/crust with 4 to 5 inches of clear hard under it. In the current areas between points and at narrows there was open water or 2" of soft ice. I would not fish any of that ice till next season.

Long lake was surprisingly well capped with 5 to 6 inches of hard ice that only started to get slushy towards the end of the day. However there were spots that were snow covered that were just slightly less thick and had started to show signs of getting soft. I think there is a spring on Long, on the north end near the old roadbed. I did not travel that far north on the lake, but if your weekend plans involve hitting that ice I would stay to the south to avoid that area. I know the ice will be treacherous there.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2016, 11:16 AM »
Thanks for the update but I'm going north to the chain for the rest of ice season. Was up there yesterday and ice 10+ in most area's.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.