New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Trout attracted to bubblers?  (Read 871 times)

Offline grubberfishhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Adirondack Icefishing Adventures
Trout attracted to bubblers?
« on: Feb 14, 2016, 07:04 AM »
I recently watched a well known guide and fish record holder catch brown trout and steelhead that were relating to bubblers, (and the artificial currents produced by them). He stated that the currents reminded the river running instincts in the fish, and they related to the current by hanging around it. Im wondering if all or most of the trout in small waters are all hanging around the bubblers...Have you guys found that trout like rainbows and browns hang around bubblers in the winter and how would you fish for them? In the video they were in a marina with docks they could stand on and set their tip ups on the thin ice within arms reach of the dock. Any ideas and insight well appreciated.
knowledge-"don't hide it divide it"

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Trout attracted to bubblers?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2016, 07:24 AM »
I would think that the bubbles were stirring up  feed for bait and the trout were attracted to the bait.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2016, 07:29 AM »
I know back a few years ago we always fished the Lake Plaesant tournament in Speculator and always fished by the outlet to the Kunjemuck(spelling?) and always did well for Browns and Bows. And was always thin ice there and only 4-5' water. No bubblers though.

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2016, 07:36 AM »
 I don't think there would be a safe way to fish near the bubbler without having a dock to stand on, maybe just get as close as you can I guess. Bubblers scare me,and gas holes and calls from the wife while I'm fishing ha
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2016, 08:37 AM »
stay the hell away from bubblers ,good way to drowned .....you do realize  the purpose of a bubbler is to STOP the formation of ice

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2016, 09:09 AM »
I think he's talking about near bubblers... I have set up near them and got trout. We got a 28" laker 2 years ago in 12 fow 20 yards from a bubbler. Ice was still a solid 8 inches. Just be careful that is all.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.