Author Topic: Finally got the Fish Trap mods done  (Read 1761 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Finally got the Fish Trap mods done
« on: Feb 12, 2016, 11:47 PM »
So year before last I picked up a one man Kodiak Fish Trap up for a steal ($75). Being that I've not able to get out much this year I decided it was time to break it out and get some things done. I have spent lots of time in the Ice shack section this winter and have been really digging what everyone's been doing with these waterproof, sticky back LED light strips. Check out luckyowen98's six pack pop-up (I Know your going to like this icecutterion)

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=319670.0

My 949i will be next for Burbot Bash 2017, So after getting a battery box/switch put together, pole holder modified for short butt rods, shelf in front of the seat built/wrapped/installed, towbar connections installed front/back for towing in tandem and waiting for what seemed like an eternity to get the LED's/DC plugs I finally got it all done tonight. Here's the battery box/switch, with DC plug for easy removal when not needed, Switch on.

And with the cord wrapped for easy carry and storage

A look inside. Fits standard finder battery.

Now the best part, these lights are pretty bright. I may need sunglasses in here

and lastly a shot of the blue shelf, pole holder that locks into the seat base pin and the battery box placement when in use. You can also DC plug connection for the battery box

Now for the maiden voyage Monday morning at the view. Should be on the ice around 430am for some early dark crappie bite  @)
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
Re: Finally got the Fish Trap mods done
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2016, 09:07 AM »
Great deal on the fish trap Musky I would like to find a deal like that. The mods are outstanding , really like that battery box and hookup. And look at the BRIGHT side you can use that trap as a tanning shed in the off season ;D nice job.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2016, 09:48 PM »
Thanks Geezer, been a long time coming on getting it done. The wife wanted to know when I was putting in the disco ball and a sound system. LOL
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2016, 01:04 PM »
 Looks great. Can't wait to see it in action. Hopefully the ice will hold out for the get together.

Offline IceCutterIon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><{{{{*> <*}}}}><
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2016, 08:54 PM »
That looks way good. Ya my bayrunner glows bright also. I put both mine on separate switches to run either or both. I'll be doing it my clam 1660 also the lights are awesome.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2016, 09:26 PM »
Thanks guys, I may install a dimmer switch that a few of the guys are using on the ice shack page, seems to tone it down good for fishing and kick it up to full power when setting up or moving. I don't think this warm up will get to bad at the view. The nights have still been getting down in temp. Time will tell
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2016, 11:13 PM »
 Don't be afraid to use UV lights and glow paint on your rod tips. Also,  some fishing line will light up as well with a UV light. Usually the kind that comes in a purple package. I think it's clear blue, but can't remember right now.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2016, 05:50 PM »
Well got out yesterday and everything worked out great, other than the rain for the 1st hour I was there. I stayed warm and dry but the ice puddled up pretty good though

Plenty of room but I do need to add a some anchor points for when there's a cross wind. Didn't want to get up a few times cause it looked like the wind would flip the shack on its side

Catching wasn't to bad either  :thumbsup:

Check out my post in the R&C board, you wont believe what was in the parking lot when I got there  :cookoo: :wacko:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=228002.msg3499279#msg3499279
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2016, 05:19 PM »
Interesting, I was thinking of LED lights for night fishing in the tent, head lamps suck after hours of being on your head. Might have to do research. The ice shack looks pretty bright inside Musky.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2016, 07:26 PM »
Thanks, it definitely is bright and does put light in the whole tent. The led's are pretty cheap on amazon. I'm into the lights for everything but the battery $20. Pretty cheap in my book and like you said no more head lamps or lanterns. There's some great ideas for battery box's here

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=264746.0

There's some crazy set-ups for portable power
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2016, 08:39 PM »
Thanks! I will have to build one up. I already have a few old fish finder batteries and ammo cans. Looks like around $20-25 or less for a setup.

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2016, 08:12 AM »
Setup looks great Musky, and thanks for the link for power boxes some really great ideas there. Does the lighting inside your tent make it hard to see your electronics?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2016, 08:17 AM »
No it works good, but that pic does show it glaring on the finder. At 1st I thought maybe I would get a dimmer to tone the lights down but after that trip it was fine for me
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2016, 09:26 AM »
Great ! Now I have a new project to get busy on lol ::)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2016, 07:17 AM »
Got to love new projects, did you look at the clam 1660 I put the link in my 1st post for? That thing looks awesome. He put his batteries in the nets above but when I get around to doing my 949 I will run the wire to the ground to plug into my box and when I'm not using the lights the cord will get wrapped up and put in the nets above
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2016, 07:47 AM »
Yes I did see the link thanks, your right it is awesome. I will pattern that set up for mine. I like your idea of running the hook up to the bottom. I have nets close to both doors about two feet off the floor which will work great. My power box has two batteries so because of the weight I will probably use a milk crate to get it off the ice. Need to get busy and order the lights now. I also came up with a new design for our wooden pole holders that I will bring to the GTG.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.