Author Topic: Vehicle thru Winni today....  (Read 3187 times)

Offline PHD

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vehicle thru Winni today....
« on: Feb 12, 2016, 04:16 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

VEHICLE THROUGH THE ICE ON LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE

Two anglers survive plunging into the icy waters off Whaleback Island

Moultonborough, New Hampshire

At 12:31 pm, Moultonborough Fire Rescue, Stewart’s Ambulance and Tuftonboro Fire Rescue responded to the report of a vehicle through ice with persons in the water. The incident occurred on Lake Winnipesaukee in the area of Whaleback Island. While en route, responding companies were notified that the persons were out of the water and being transported to the beach at Paradise Drive. Tuftonboro Fire Rescue and Stewart’s Ambulance treated two male patients for hypothermia. The patients refused treatment or transport for further medical attention and were released. The vehicle, a Chevrolet Suburban was completely submerged in approximately 20 feet of water between Whaleback Island and Whaleback Point. NH Fish & Game are investigating the incident.

Persons participating in recreation on Lake Winnipesaukee and other bodies of water in the area need to use extreme caution. Ice conditions are varied and no area should be considered safe. The use of any vehicle on the ice poses a severe life hazard to those operating it. Ice thicknesses need to be at least 5”-8” for an ATV/UTV and 12”-15” to support the weight of a medium pick-up. If going out on the ice, remember “Safe Ice? Think Twice”. Have a safety plan for if you fall in. Wear a life jacket and carry ice picks on you at all times when on the ice.
Glad they made it out.......
Trust me, there's plenty of ice..

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Vehicle thru Winni today....
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2016, 04:35 PM »
What are these people thinking?!? I don't comprehend.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline nhbooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2016, 04:40 PM »
Unreal!  They are lucky to be alive.  I truly don't understand why anyone would drive a vehicle on the ice. Period! We all know Ice varies in thickness.  Why chance it?  To what save a few minutes walking/hauling gear out?  Never understood it.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2016, 04:59 PM »

I don't think they comprehend either Frank... Might have been their first problem...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Deeznuts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:07 PM »
Unbelievable

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:10 PM »
you would think
 the news would be all over it
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline winnicookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:14 PM »
Numb!!!!

Offline xklipze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:22 PM »
it's always the dumb people

Offline Bushman12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:28 PM »
Sad story there.. Everyone should know to be extra careful this winter

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:30 PM »
you would think
 the news would be all over it

A pickup went thru on loon lake in freedom last weekend.... And never even made the news. I was told it was in close to 50 feet of water. I believe dive winnipesaukee floated it up on Tuesday.

Jimmy
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline FishSlayer20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:41 PM »
I don't think they comprehend either Frank... Might have been their first problem...
You beat me to it obviously they can not comprehend, we all know those people that we wonder how they tie there shoes every morning!
I will miss my wife this winter, I'll see her in the spring!

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:45 PM »
On our little pond in maine, the town filled the launch full of snow to stop simple minded people from driving on!
Is it ice time yet???

Offline Icicle1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:49 PM »
Walk. Why must people be so lazy. Our grandfathers were the smartest & most energetic. Now, everything is drive to spot. Ridiculous. Exercise is life! 
Is it sometimes a fish being caught or you?

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:58 PM »
Walk. Why must people be so lazy. Our grandfathers were the smartest & most energetic. Now, everything is drive to spot. Ridiculous. Exercise is life!

Agreed... But I must say, most of us live in a different world today than our grandfathers did, and I can speak for myself.... I don't get the time I would like to spend a whole day on the ice and I am always looking for creative ways to just get some time out there, which the hard side helps a lot. Crazy world where 2 incomes are necessary... Kids sports.... Etc. you know the deal I am sure.

My grandfather bought his first house for roughly the price of one year salary... Today.... You are looking at 5 or 6 times the average salary.

With that being said, this year, I will walk and resist the urge to drive out just to save time.

Jimmy
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2016, 06:34 PM »

X2
Jig em up!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2016, 06:58 PM »
A pickup went thru on loon lake in freedom last weekend.... And never even made the news. I was told it was in close to 50 feet of water. I believe dive winnipesaukee floated it up on Tuesday.

Jimmy
I was fishing there Tuesday when they were pulling that truck with a plow out. Quite the procedure. I talked to the owner of the truck he said it was in 30 fow maybe a hundred yards of the shore..... It had 10-11in. Of ice the other day he said. And yeah not a word about it around here in the paper
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2016, 07:00 PM »
I bought a snowmobile this past summer after the brutal winter last year of walking out onto lakes. I've had it out twice so far.... I'm too nervous. I don't understand why people think it's ok especially this winter.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2016, 07:32 PM »
A Suburban.....

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2016, 07:51 PM »
A Suburban.....
That was the icing on the cake for me  ???

Offline Clams

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:01 PM »
"Like a Rock"......Glad to hear they made it out ok! But people shouldn't be driving on most lakes.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:47 PM »
Definitely candidates for the Darwin award.

Especially this year.  ::)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2016, 11:23 PM »
I hope they'll have their checkbooks ready for the hefty cost that excursion will be costing them!

If you consider the salvage cost, the environmental fine, possible police citation, insurance costs and a new vehicle, and that might exceed a year's salary!

Did they lose all their gear as well?  If so, they can add that cost to their losses.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2016, 07:04 AM »
My guess is this won't be the last one through the ice this season.  Just wait until the derby.  There will be some that push it too far. 
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline suckerbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2016, 07:12 AM »
My guess is this won't be the last one through the ice this season.  Just wait until the derby.  There will be some that push it too far.
Agree with that! I was on big lake on Thursday over a mile out from my access point on foot. Was in the middle of a snow squall. Heard the ice quake coming before I saw the truck. Driver just missed a pressure ridge that was set up before the thaw. Was about 50 yards from me and turned and drove back the way he came. I was on 6 to 7 inches of black ice that goes to 4 inches just passed where I was fishing.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2016, 08:45 AM »
Agree with that! I was on big lake on Thursday over a mile out from my access point on foot. Was in the middle of a snow squall. Heard the ice quake coming before I saw the truck. Driver just missed a pressure ridge that was set up before the thaw. Was about 50 yards from me and turned and drove back the way he came. I was on 6 to 7 inches of black ice that goes to 4 inches just passed where I was fishing.

Hard to believe people can be so stupid!

Offline carnohfd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2016, 09:34 AM »
That area is wet even on the best ice years....we cross it often going to sled trail... as is the case with most areas between points and islands on winni... not bright....next basin is open between island and have seen vehicles go in there as well...my hardside is still in driveway. I put it out in that area every year.....

Offline MFDIRT13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2016, 05:53 PM »
Still not sure why anyone would drive a truck on the ice at all?
On the hunt for TROUT!!!

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2016, 06:29 PM »
just say no to crack

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2016, 06:47 PM »
Love it!!!!

Offline cperry807

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2016, 06:57 PM »
I was on Moores today and as we were packing up, a car was doing about 60 down the center on the reservoir. Came out of no where. We were in a small cove, not sure how much Ice was in the center but we were in shock a car was even on the ice let alone going that fast

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.