Author Topic: Almost! I need to upgrade now.  (Read 1435 times)

Offline fishndog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Almost! I need to upgrade now.
« on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:21 AM »
Hey all. I was out a couple days ago drilling holes setting traps and jiggin. 4-6" ice everywhere I went. No action at all so i got bored and started drilling more holes in search of some kind of action when I drilled into 2" of ice! I backed up quick! I got lucky that time! I need to upgrade my outdated bibs and get a set ( jacket & bibs ) that float and are warm. Being retired I travel solo a lot. Please give me your opinion on what you guys are sporting and how you like them. My head is spinning looking on line at all that is available! Thanks   FD
Enjoy, Be Smart, and Tight Lines!

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Almost! I need to upgrade now.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:30 AM »
Striker for sure, trying my new hard waters out tomorrow

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:35 AM »
Go to Striker Ice site ...look at the different insulation factors an FAQ section

http://www.strikerice.com/

they also have multiple brands/designs ...some cheaper/different layout/design /material

http://www.strikerbrands.com/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Achemen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2016, 01:51 PM »
Thanks for sharing that story, it's great information for people like me who never knew there suits that float!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2016, 02:10 PM »
Striker for sure. Trying mine out tomorrow as well bugchazer. (Hardwater)
Just add water.

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2016, 02:19 PM »
People really seem to love the Striker suits, but the price was a bit steep for me (I am the sole breadwinner for my family, and I have two young kids and a third on the way), but I was able to mix n' match an Arctic Armor suit on eBay. I got the bibs for $150 and the jacket for $75. I have only given it a few test runs. So far, so good.

Offline pk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2016, 07:30 PM »

Offline Yoopergirl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice chicks DO exist!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2016, 07:34 PM »
Striker suits on sale at Fish307 (end of season sale)

Offline bob48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:04 PM »
I just bought a striker predator bibs and jacket,very nice suit, Dicks sporting goods have them 20 percent off,will cost about $320, small price to pay for something that will save your life. Imoa.

Offline fishndog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2016, 06:38 AM »
Thanks very much for the replies! I really appreciate it. How is the fit on your gear? What i mean is should I order bigger or is the sizing charts on the money in case i have to order on line?  Thanks again for the help.
Enjoy, Be Smart, and Tight Lines!

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2016, 06:41 AM »
following

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2016, 06:46 AM »
I have the Striker Hardwater: heavy duty material, never got cold, and like them a lot.  I was close to the higher end of one size and went with the bigger size because the waist band doesn't have too much give to it. 

Offline FlagCharlie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2016, 08:30 AM »
I've been wearing the Camo Idi Gear Arctic Armor bibs for I think 7 years now, I love it as much today as I did the day I bought it. However, If I had to buy today I would probably go with the Stryker, seems like that's the ticket these days. I doubt that you'd regret buying either one, they make being on the ice much more comfortable and who knows....could save your life someday. Good luck!
Thoreau might have said, "It is preoccupation with possessions that keeps us from happiness," but he obviously wasn't talking about fishing gear.

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2016, 08:56 AM »
I've been wearing the Camo Idi Gear Arctic Armor bibs for I think 7 years now, I love it as much today as I did the day I bought it. However, If I had to buy today I would probably go with the Stryker, seems like that's the ticket these days. I doubt that you'd regret buying either one, they make being on the ice much more comfortable and who knows....could save your life someday. Good luck!

I love my Arctic Armor suit. It's insulated, full length zippers up side and nice big cargo pockets in front. Thankfully I haven't needed for its best selling point yet--it floats. Read this story posted in the NY forum from this past weekend. He is a lucky dude.

"I Initially planned to keep this tidbit to myself to spare embarrassment, but it might help someone else with more nads than brains.
I attempted to fish Huddle Bay Saturday. I put 4 good perch in the bucket before I got restless and looking at my Navionics.
Navionics told me there was a nice little flat just beyond the little islands headed towards Bixby. I flip the shack back and start walking. Straight up perch blind. I'll admit it. I was also swinging the spud once for every 2 or 3 steps I took. I took 2 steps without swinging on a clear transition in the ice and went in. 
I made more mistakes than I can even remember. As a result, I'll be thanking that Arctic Armor suit for the rest of my years man. The bibs preformed better than I ever could have imagined. I felt my legs start to float up behind me immediately after going through. Gave 2 hard kicks and bellied back up on the ice I came from. I've watched enough Youtube videos that these suit companies put out that it was all etched into my memory.
I'm kind of shocked how good of shape I was in when I finally got to my truck. The outer layer of my suit flash froze like a brick. I had to keep high stepping to keep from freezing to the point of being immobile, but my core layers stayed safely warm.
I'm slightly disappointed in my boots, but I guess I can only expect so much. Carharts and muck boots would have been an entirely different story. Stay safe guys. Invest in a good suit and swing hard with every step."

Offline Icicle1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2016, 06:24 PM »
Retiree definitively can't afford Arctic Armor with Ct. taxes. Good luck! 
Is it sometimes a fish being caught or you?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.