Author Topic: ICE Safety Gear - What's your list...  (Read 860 times)

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ICE Safety Gear - What's your list...
« on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:09 AM »

With all the ice issues this year, thought it may be good to hear about what the veterans carry on the ice with them for safety gear.  I believe we all know that the spud is the number one item - but what else do people carry....   Below is my list that I always have with me...

Chisel/Spud
50 ft. of Rope
Throwable Flotation Cushion (good for sitting on, kneeling on, and a safety device)
Ice-Picks
Traction Devices (walking safety)

When solo fishing a whistle would be a good idea - and something I think I'll add to my list.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
Re: ICE Safety Gear - What's your list...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:45 AM »
With all the ice issues this year, thought it may be good to hear about what the veterans carry on the ice with them for safety gear.  I believe we all know that the spud is the number one item - but what else do people carry....   Below is my list that I always have with me...

Chisel/Spud
50 ft. of Rope
Throwable Flotation Cushion (good for sitting on, kneeling on, and a safety device)
Ice-Picks
Traction Devices (walking safety)

When solo fishing a whistle would be a good idea - and something I think I'll add to my list.

Pretty much carry the same, with the he exception of a flotation device and whistle..both my boys have whistles for kayaking..not a bad thing to consider.
I'll also let my wife know where I'm fishing and if my plans are changing
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:59 AM »
Chisel, Picks, ice cleats, 1/2" nylon Rope 50 ft., Ice striker predator bib and jacket (it floats)
In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:26 AM »
I have the full predtor suit. Ice cleats, picks, and a chisel. I dont have rope, propably not a bad idea. I fish alone alot so I try to be extr cautious.
Salmonemia

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:40 AM »
Spud, picks, creepers, and I always have a pretty complete first aid kit that goes in the Bayrunner for the winter and on the boat in the summer.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:48 AM »
This year my Kahtoolas are pretty important ..slick ice and minimal snow cover make for a disaster waiting to happen ...one slip 10 feet from shore on 6 inches of ice on a solo trip ..bad news ...and the Kahtoolas are really comfortable and easy to put on so they go on each and every outing  ....

all of the OP equipment is also much need for a safe outing .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:50 AM »
Chisel, picks, yaktrax, whistle clipped to my bibs, striker Hardwater bibs and jacket, 50 feet of rope, and a dry set of clothes in the truck.

I'd like to add the floatation cushion to my list for the variety of uses already listed. I've also considered tying a plastic boat fender to one end of my rope for throwing/floatation purposes.

Offline sgthoskins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2016, 10:03 AM »
Has anyone ever gone through the ice before in deep water?  I have a couple of times and unless you're literally holding an ice pick in each hand everywhere you walk the entire time you're on the ice they are pretty pointless.
“The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government”

www.northeastshooters. com

Offline tackleman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2016, 10:30 AM »
Arctic Armor Suit, it floats, chisel, ice pics, rope.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2016, 11:12 AM »
Has anyone ever gone through the ice before in deep water?  I have a couple of times and unless you're literally holding an ice pick in each hand everywhere you walk the entire time you're on the ice they are pretty pointless.

Yes. Crossed an old pressure ridge covered by snow on Winnipesaukee over 60ft of water about 6 years ago.  Went in up to my neck.

Fortunately had my safety picks on and remained calm. Was back on solid ice in about 2 minutes. Used the picks to get a grip on the ice. Kicked my feet and pulled myself out on my stomach. Went out back in the direction I came from, where I knew it was solid. Luckily I was pulling out gear to my shack for the weekend so I had spare clothes right there with me to change into.

Offline nhbooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2016, 04:44 PM »
This is a great topic.  I think people taking about their experiences and what they have/use for safety gear is awesome.  Having the proper safety gear may save your life someday or a fellow fisherman.  I know this year I have personally added to my safety gear.  Hope everyone has a safe and successful rest of the season.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2016, 04:53 PM »
a proper throw rope and bag. I carry 1, my buddy carries 1.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2016, 11:27 PM »
First and foremost would be the smarts to know when to go and when to stay home.
Too many people will push their luck because they think that having all the gear, gadgets and gizmos will take the place of having a working brain. We've already had some Darwin award contestants so far thus season and I can't imagine that the Derby weekend won't bring out many, many more!

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2016, 06:47 AM »
First and foremost would be the smarts to know when to go and when to stay home.
Too many people will push their luck because they think that having all the gear, gadgets and gizmos will take the place of having a working brain. We've already had some Darwin award contestants so far thus season and I can't imagine that the Derby weekend won't bring out many, many more!

I agree, using your head should be at the top of your list. Knowledge of where your fishing is just as important. I never venture out without a chisel and pics. I fished on 3" of fair ice Thursday. I am very familiar with the area and knew that there was only 18" of water underneath. I would not venture over deeper water because 1. the ice was not the best and 2. I was alone. This year especially we have had "early season" ice all year and will soon move to "late season" ice with no "regular season" ice in between. As my father used to say "Use your head for more than a hat rack!" Be careful out there.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2016, 07:52 AM »
 I fish alone most days. ..I wear  a full predator suit and picks with retractable spikes are in my outer breast pockets at all times. ..I carry  a chisel. ..I keep a throwable cushion with 50'of poly rope wound on it in my sled..5 years ago I took a cold water rescue /survival coarse...aside from common sense there's not a lot more I can do.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.