The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: here comes chesuncook - sleeping on ice  (Read 6370 times)

Offline zachpark17

• IceShanty Rookie
here comes chesuncook - sleeping on ice
« on: Feb 11, 2016, 05:04 PM »
Hey guys,

My buddy and I have always wanted to hit Chesuncook Lake. So, next weekend we are heading up. I have an 8x8 insulated ice shelter we plan on sleeping in on cots along with two buddy heaters and a generator/electric heater for the night. We are going after Salmon. Anyone have any recommendations on spots? Also, I've heard the ice can be 2' in spots and 2" in others, that scares me pretty badly. We will only have one snowmobile as well so an extra gas can is a must. Any gas in the area? Civilization at all? We will be parking at the South end and snowmobiling all of our stuff to wherever we decide to set up. Hopefully it will be a great time and one to remember. I've never slept on the ice before so I'm pretty pumped. Let me know what you guys think and or any advice. Thanks guys!

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
Re: here comes chesuncook - sleeping on ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2016, 05:33 PM »
Good luck!
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline marabou

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2016, 05:47 PM »
Your glad your not up there this weekend in a tent

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2016, 05:55 PM »
Sounds like an adventure.  Good luck.
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline profishingmaster1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAGS down
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2016, 05:56 PM »
I was just up there and we had 16 inches of ice. Be careful where it flows into ripogenous it was wide open right there.  I wouldn't fish any shallower then 30 feet or you will get into the perch. I'm interested to see how it goes in the pop up I've always wanted to try it. GL

Offline Icetrout15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2016, 06:13 PM »
Sounds like a great trip good luck
🎣🎣🎣🎣🎣⛄️⛄️IMG_7783.gif

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2016, 06:16 PM »
Might want to consider renting a cabin from Allagash Gateway ???  One of the most dangerous lakes in Maine, check as go. @)

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2016, 06:41 PM »
The only time I fished Chesuncook, we were on the north central end of the lake (Gero Island).  I remember a long sled ride standing on a dog sled and an absolute boatload of small to medium salmon.  It was actually boring.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2016, 06:46 PM »
The only time I fished Chesuncook, we were on the north central end of the lake (Gero Island).  I remember a long sled ride standing on a dog sled and an absolute boatload of small to medium salmon.  It was actually boring.

Togue Ledge. @)

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2016, 06:53 PM »
Togue Ledge. @)

Coulda been.  I was in college, it was snowing, its a blur.  We left a good pick of nice fish closer to home for 17-18 inch salmon. 6 of us on 2 sleds we didn't even own.  Chummy. 

Live smelt, dead smelt, pieces of smelt- it didn't matter.  I do remember fishing close to shore and not catching perch but by all accounts that has changed.   Fun and I'm glad I went but if I were to return it would be to jig for cusk.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2016, 06:59 PM »
Coulda been.  I was in college, it was snowing, its a blur.  We left a good pick of nice fish closer to home for 17-18 inch salmon. 6 of us on 2 sleds we didn't even own.  Chummy. 

Live smelt, dead smelt, pieces of smelt- it didn't matter.  I do remember fishing close to shore and not catching perch but by all accounts that has changed.   Fun and I'm glad I went but if I were to return it would be to jig for cusk.

Togue Ledge isn't really near Gero, like 5 miles south, I just wanted to spot burn it. @)

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2016, 07:02 PM »
Togue Ledge isn't really near Gero, like 5 miles south, I just wanted to spot burn it. @)

I set my lines a ways apart. ;D

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2016, 07:06 PM »
Be careful where it flows into ripogenous it was wide open right there.  Also the Narrows between Caribou and Chesuncook  is wide open ,Some days a mile wide and over a mile long .On a sub zero night it all freezes and with a little squall it all looks the same .Snowmobiles go tru it often.

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2016, 07:10 PM »
I believe they bring fuel into Chesuncook Village, the used to atleast.  Never been there, just heard stories.

Offline Frankr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2016, 07:26 PM »
Zach,

As you look at the DeLorme, you will see a little point as Chesuncook transitions into Ripogenius. On the west side is a state landing and parking area. On the east side is Allagash Gateway Campground (and cabins).

I think the weather is just too cold this weekend for the idea you propose. I think you'd be much better off to rent a cabin (primitive) from AGC. And, fish on Ripogenius near AGC. I have never ice fished on Chesuncook. I think you know the general pattern, a foot or so below the bottom of the ice over about 100 feet of water. Yes, there are other patterns.

The owner/operators of AGC, the Scanlins are competent, nice people. They will likely be able to advise on good places to fish.

Otherwise, maybe pitch your tent on the ice near the parking area on the west side near the launch. That way you'll be close to your vehicles, if things go awry in the subzero weather.

I have read, in a post by an IFW biologist that the area in front of the state launch is decent salmon water. Also, there is an area of 100 feet deep water about 2 miles up the lake, a little past Caribou Point that is more classic salmon water. You could easily take your shelter up there for the day.

Myself, I think this is a terrible weekend to do what you want to do. I'd re-schedule for a warmer weekend. At least 20.

Good luck!

Frankr

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2016, 07:30 PM »

I'm sure it was the snow that made it a blur  ::)

I've only fished it once and was soon under the impression that their are so many salmon that the spot doesn't really matter. 10-16" salmon until your arms fall off.

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2016, 07:59 PM »
And that's no joke lol I think matts got built in binoculers @)
How they biten

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:08 AM »

I started to spread my traps out to cover a little more area but its not working out the way I imagined it. I have lost 2 traps cause I cant remember where I put them

Offline slaying shack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:16 AM »
I tried this same thing on schoodic lake last year... By 3am I was heading back to the truck to try and warm up... Lots of wind expected with cold temps is a good formula for not so good of a time no matter how much you drink to keep warm.
I got a call... everyone was dismayed... all around my shack... the fish had been slayed.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:27 AM »
I have spent many nights in my hardside and I can not recall 1 night of getting more than a couple hrs shut eye .

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:28 AM »
I'm anxious to hear how this works out as I was thinking of trying the same thing.  Have to admit that I am worried about carbon monoxide in the portable while sleeping.  IMHO, I think rather than worrying about where to fish on Chesuncook, I'd be more worried about where to put the shack and ice conditions in places woodchip and others mentioned.  Especially if I were unfamiliar with the lake.

I started to spread my traps out to cover a little more area but its not working out the way I imagined it. I have lost 2 traps cause I cant remember where I put them

I hear you Dick.  I sat on the lake the other day with my arm moving up and down.  Realized I forgot my jigging rod.  Thankfully no one was looking. :'(

Offline GRGS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:47 AM »
Be carefull with only one sled, bring a compass in case of a whiteout and matches. Have fun!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2016, 06:15 AM »
Ironically, I remember tenting out on the side of the Golden Road in Feb. of 1991 and fishing Caribou Lake.  To put it in perspective, although we had a pony keg, I haven't done it since. ;D  Strongly consider A.G.C. And have a more enjoyable experience. @)

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:16 AM »
thats called dementia! ;D

Offline hockeynut12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:23 AM »
I have spent many nights in my hardside and I can not recall 1 night of getting more than a couple hrs shut eye .

X2. It feels like I wake up every 20 minutes!
I like to walk on water.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:39 AM »

I hear you Dick.  I sat on the lake the other day with my arm moving up and down.  Realized I forgot my jigging rod.  Thankfully no one was looking. :'(   What are you guys smoking???????  They found one of your traps the other day trolling Sebago.

Report to moderator    Logged

Proud winner of the 2013 Digger award.

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2016, 10:08 AM »

I know a good surveyor who could probably sketch you out a plot plan of where you set each of your traps .......

Offline zachpark17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 12, 2016, 11:30 AM »
Thanks for all the replies guys! I'll definitely be sticking in close to shore while traveling on the sled. I'm not going this weekend, too cold. We are going next weekend. The weather looks to be pretty nice in the 20's and 30's. We'll have the generator and electric heater as well as two buddy heaters so I don't think we'll get too cold. Frankr why do you recommend fishing on Ripogenius? Good salmon fishing? And what's this togue ledge everyone speaks of. Maybe we'll set up on one of the campsites on shore to be a little safer. Bringing only one sled does scare me a bit! Hopefully all goes well!

Offline busyman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2016, 12:15 PM »
We fished 200 yards northwest of the Boat launch (actually caribou) near end of Greenville rd and caught some 20" salmon.
I'd rather be Fishing

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2016, 12:21 PM »
Way points on your GPS and reflective tape on the traps will help you next time. I use to use Black balloons and tie them to the cross member on really bright days.
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.