Author Topic: Bite does a quick change!  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
Bite does a quick change!
« on: Feb 11, 2016, 04:48 PM »
Couldn't believe how quick the bite ended this morning!!  Was right in the thick of the perch at 40' deep, then all of a sudden, NOTHING!  They all just flat disappeared!!  Went in all directions looking for them, but nothing!  It was like a flip was switched off or something! 

Waited for 3 hours, and not another bite.  I've seen things change gradually, but NEVER that fast!!  Wish it would turn ON that fast!!
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Bite does a quick change!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2016, 10:58 PM »
maybe a predator fish or that time for them to start hunting perch.

the bite where i was fishing was off too. they would be stacked, but when you caught one, they spread out. this happened for a few holes until the day was almost turned to dark and they would come back after catching one. once dark, they just followed the bait and no takers.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:36 AM »
It's like this in lots of places I fish.  There is a small window of opportunity to catch these fish.  Some lakes the bite window is like 30-45 minutes only in the AM.  At this time of the year, it may take light weight jigs.  Something that won't sink fast enough after you catch one fish.  Having a second line down or a fishing partner who's got a line down to keep the fish attracted helps a lot.  Then I wait and search all day, maybe find one or two fish in odd places.  Then maybe there's a PM bite window of opportunity.  Sometimes shorter, sometimes longer but slower.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:15 AM »
the last time i got into perch good, we fished most of the morning then got into them. they only gave us a 10 min. window to catch them. you had to be on your game and then the bite was gone.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:31 AM »
Yup most likely reason would be a big pike came by.  I've seen it happen many times with perch vs. walleyes also.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:57 AM »
Yup most likely reason would be a big pike came by.  I've seen it happen many times with perch vs. walleyes also.

Maybe I should start setting one of my tip ups right next to where our other guys in the group are perch fishing!
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2016, 10:11 AM »
Maybe I should start setting one of my tip ups right next to where our other guys in the group are perch fishing!

Now your gettin' it! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2016, 02:21 PM »
Got muskie in the lake I live on. You can tell if there's one cruising the area. Seen them on my cam quite a few times. Might as well pack it up..

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2016, 03:40 PM »
Perch cruise they don't hang around for long. When they're there the bite is hot. Then the move on and you're washing bait.

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:09 PM »
I think you need that Vex back sooner.
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2016, 10:07 PM »
Yea they keep moving, I pre drill an area with a hole every 30-50' and grid it out completely. I was able to follow one school today for 4 holes by myself before losing them.  It really would of helped to have a few buddies to fan out in different directions to follow the group.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.