Author Topic: Some Tips from the Ice  (Read 1346 times)

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Some Tips from the Ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2016, 05:21 PM »
Good article Daryl, in the yellow perch post had asked about the forage base in Lake Wanahoo? What supports the pike, walleye, and crappie besides fingerlings or fry? Also, saw where there was an ice rescue at a lake up around Valley, Ne; are there still folks fishing Wanahoo or has the ice deteriorated enough the last week to make it unsafe, or have you heard any reports? Was thinking of giving it one last try this coming weekend if safe to do so; I have just over 100 mile drive to get there with no reliable source for existing conditions in the immediate area. Thanks

Offline bluejays14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:31 PM »
I know people are still fishing wanahoo, but I haven't been out there for awhile. All recent reports have been good but we know how that can change.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2016, 12:21 PM »
Good article Daryl, in the yellow perch post had asked about the forage base in Lake Wanahoo? What supports the pike, walleye, and crappie besides fingerlings or fry? Also, saw where there was an ice rescue at a lake up around Valley, Ne; are there still folks fishing Wanahoo or has the ice deteriorated enough the last week to make it unsafe, or have you heard any reports? Was thinking of giving it one last try this coming weekend if safe to do so; I have just over 100 mile drive to get there with no reliable source for existing conditions in the immediate area. Thanks

Lots of small fish in Wanahoo for all the bass, walleyes, pike and crappies to eat.  Lots of small bluegills, crappies, bullheads and bass.

Don't know nothing about the ice rescue near Valley, but I know the waters in that area are all pits and ice on Nebraska pits is never as thick as it is on other waters because of the groundwater flow.

I will always tell you that you have to be careful and make sure the ice is safe every time you walk onto it.  But, I am sure there are going to be a bunch of folks fishing Wanahoo for at least a few days yet.  The extended forecast is not looking good, but we are not quite to day-by-day ice conditions, yet.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2016, 01:41 PM »
Thank you for the info Daryl, the article I read about the near disaster in Valley never gave the name of the body of water. I've never ice fished a pit lake before so thanks for the heads up on ice formation on those areas. Also, appreciate the info on the prey base in Wanahoo; wasn't sure if there was a baitfish species that had been stocked prior to the regular fish stockings.

Offline DakotaAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2016, 03:05 PM »
Another good article, Daryl. You have forgotten more about ice fishing than I will ever know, but I do like my short rods.

If one's fishing style is to hole-hop while standing, I can see how longer rods would be beneficial. I hole-hop without a shelter too, but typically am kneeling and prefer to be closer to the hole and flasher. I therefore prefer shorter rods in the 25-30" range, especially when the wind is blowing. I have 36-38" rods too, but I just do not care for them as much as my shorter rods.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2016, 03:47 PM »
Another good article, Daryl. You have forgotten more about ice fishing than I will ever know, but I do like my short rods.

If one's fishing style is to hole-hop while standing, I can see how longer rods would be beneficial. I hole-hop without a shelter too, but typically am kneeling and prefer to be closer to the hole and flasher. I therefore prefer shorter rods in the 25-30" range, especially when the wind is blowing. I have 36-38" rods too, but I just do not care for them as much as my shorter rods.

Hey, please do not think that "my way" is better than anyone else's--just saying what I do, and why.  And, I fully know there are days when it is cold and the wind is blowing, when being inside the shelter with shorter rods would be the most effective way to fish!

And nothing beats confidence!  If you have something that you are confident it, you will keep doing it, and it will work!

I am finding as I get older, the ole "kneeling by the hole" thing gets uncomfortable a lot sooner than it used to. ;D

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.