Author Topic: Will they still have the Meredith Rotary Derby??  (Read 3689 times)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Will they still have the Meredith Rotary Derby??
« on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:50 AM »
Looked at the extended forecast for the Moultonborough for the next two weeks, and except for this weekend the daytime temps will be in the upper 30's and low 40's.

That can't be good for what ice there is, and if we get rain on top of that, it will erode even faster.

Just thinking out loud... ::)
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline PHD

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Will they still have the Meredith Rotary Derby??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2016, 12:44 PM »
I believe they will, there are many warm water ponds safe.. I just hope this little cold snap this weekend doesn't fool people into thinking its making lots of ice..   It will be interesting, but im sure they will wait till the last minute to make a decision.
Trust me, there's plenty of ice..

Offline perch_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2016, 01:48 PM »
I believe they will, there are many warm water ponds safe.. I just hope this little cold snap this weekend doesn't fool people into thinking its making lots of ice..   It will be interesting, but im sure they will wait till the last minute to make a decision.
its not like the cold snap won't make ice tho. I'm hopping it might put another layer of clear ice on the lakes
I hate my username. I made it when I was 14 and I dont know how to change it.

Offline PHD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2016, 02:10 PM »
Oh its going to make ice for sure, But remember how much ice some places lost in that last warm spell??  Next week is going to be warm..   Just hope people use there head that's all..  We are at that time of year when in a normal winter, its pretty much done making ice due to the sun being more powerful, and the days are getting longer..  With not much snow on the ice, the suns rays can beat it up pretty quick.. 
Trust me, there's plenty of ice..

Offline P.Dona

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><((((º> Bring on the ice!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2016, 03:51 PM »
Cross our fingers it will happen!  I haven't even gone out ice fishing in Ct, yet.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2016, 03:58 PM »
I was on a 2 trap lake today. Not nearly as much ice as people miggt think. Yes there is definitely fishable ice out there but honestly it fluctuates tremendously from lake to lake and even on the same lakes the ice is not uniform. Pay attention
Salmonemia

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2016, 04:10 PM »
The guys on IS all should know to check the ice as you go this year.  I put my wheelhouse out yesterday on decent ice for the first time this year.  I do worry about the weekend warriors that the derby typically attracts. 
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2016, 07:51 AM »
I hope so, my derby ticket came yesterday!!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline GlareIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2016, 04:14 PM »
Fished a spot near me today that is always the first to freeze, last year at this time there was almost 3' of ice.  Today there was about 10"  but most of it was thawed and refroze crap white ice.  If we do get a warm spell sometime soon it won't take long for everything to be unsafe.

Offline Ryan Schafer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2016, 05:10 PM »
I was out on a 2 trap lake today 100' out had 12"
Hook em

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2016, 11:30 AM »
Will the ice hold up for next weekend?

Will they have to cancel if not safe enough ice conditions (Based on the number of people they usually get)?

Do any of us plan on skipping it this year?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2016, 11:33 AM »
aside from some higher temps during the day this Sunday, next week at night and over derby weekend look decent. IMO I would guess they wouldn't cancel it. Definitely warm this weekend down south but not "too terrible" up here this weekend. Thank goodness for the artic blast last weekend otherwise I think we'd be toast... or wet.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2016, 12:15 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.

At least we shouldn't have to deal with many (any) trucks on the ice, so that motorized travel on the ice may be limited to those that may want to use their sleds /ATV's.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2016, 12:49 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.

At least we shouldn't have to deal with many (any) trucks on the ice, so that motorized travel on the ice may be limited to those that may want to use their sleds /ATV's.

Trucks are driving all over the ice up here. Damn fools.

There is a slight chance of a big storm coming through on Wed/Thursday of next week. If it dumps a bunch of snow I would imagine they would have to cancel it. And if it's too warm to snow and dumps rain, the ice conditions will be dangerous.

There are plenty of safe ice spots, but the general public are dumb. Lots of people will be going swimming.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline NEPats33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2016, 01:43 PM »
Do you guys think.It will be worth it for me to bring my snowmobile up from ct?  Only would be riding it on the ice if possible

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2016, 01:54 PM »
Do you guys think.It will be worth it for me to bring my snowmobile up from ct?  Only would be riding it on the ice if possible

depends on where you are fishing. if you fish the northern part of the state I would bring it, if you are fishing the southern part no.

Offline NEPats33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2016, 01:57 PM »
I'll be heading up Monday and staying near Meredith

Offline nhbooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2016, 05:22 PM »
Wow seems like the ice took a major beating this weekend......at least where I fish.  Very soft ice.  Lots of rain in the forecast for Wednesday night into Thursday.  Could be over an inch with temps near 50.  I would be surprised if they have the derby.  Sucks cause I look forward to it every year.  Just cant catch a break! 

Offline JRFlatlander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2016, 05:45 PM »
Wow seems like the ice took a major beating this weekend......at least where I fish.  Very soft ice.  Lots of rain in the forecast for Wednesday night into Thursday.  Could be over an inch with temps near 50.  I would be surprised if they have the derby.  Sucks cause I look forward to it every year.  Just cant catch a break! 

X2  total bummer if they do. I have the whole week off to pre fish. Heading north Wednesday either way till Sunday
[

Mama Says happiness is from magic rays of sunshine that come down when you're feeling blue.......

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2016, 05:49 PM »

It would be a major bummer I agree. But more often then not today, society errors on the side of caution due to the lack of common sense these days. Really jipped this year. From start to finish.
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline winnisquamtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2016, 06:03 PM »
I believe with it being a statewide derby and there being plenty of safe ice to be found if you use common sense they will have the derby. It's not just the people driving but also people flying in for the derby that will make it. I know that you can't fix stupid but if your able to use a little common sense you'll be able to have a fun and safe weekend!

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2016, 07:24 PM »
They will never cancel the derby. Its all about the dollar. Too bad .I hope everyone stays safe and makes it home to their families. Fluctuating temps and uneven ice thickness could lead to a disaster.
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline perch_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2016, 08:38 PM »
i didn't even bother buying a ticket this year  :'(
I hate my username. I made it when I was 14 and I dont know how to change it.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2016, 12:26 PM »
It would be nice if they would at least update their webpage with the correct dates. Still shows the old dates and no updates or anything. I think it's gotta be too late to call it off at this point.

Offline winnisquamtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2016, 12:30 PM »
If they were smart they'd eliminate lake trout for just this year. It would stop the idiots from going to deep water. Although it would change my plans for the derby I think it would provide a little safety

Offline FalcoJP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2016, 12:52 PM »
If they were smart they'd eliminate lake trout for just this year. It would stop the idiots from going to deep water. Although it would change my plans for the derby I think it would provide a little safety

Any interesting idea. I hate it, but you are probably right about being safer if people are not going out into the deeper areas.
JP

I have a hard time talking to people, unless its about fishing

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2016, 12:57 PM »

I think right now, there are plenty of safe spots around the state to walk out on... After the 50 degree temps and rain this week, I am not sure! This weekend hit hard on Ossipee, and that was with very little rain. I think if they were going to do anything, they would have done it already.

Lots of people have made plans, reservations etc.

jimmy
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 22, 2016, 01:05 PM »
Even with a safety disclaimer they will see a lot of flack should anyone end up drowning this weekend.

Remember, not everyone is a smart and intelligent angler! We see more than our share of Darwin award nominees every year!
Just keep you eyes (and ears) pealed for any clowns that want to drive out on the ice, or whoever brings their "racing" sled to a fishing derby!

Ignoring the fishing aspect, I can only imaging how many fines will be doled out for salvage operations!

Anyway, for those that plan on participating, stay safe and good luck!

Oh, and as of right now I plan on heading up!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 23, 2016, 06:46 AM »

Remember, not everyone is a smart and intelligent angler! We see more than our share of Darwin award nominees every year!
Just keep you eyes (and ears) pealed for any clowns that want to drive out on the ice, or whoever brings their "racing" sled to a fishing derby!

Ignoring the fishing aspect, I can only imaging how many fines will be doled out for salvage operations!

Agree'd. We have a few "newbies" on Newfound this season that just aren't getting it. Racing sleds all day (see how fast they can go), doing donuts on wheelers all day, setting off canons throughout the day and night just to name a few of the dumb things going on. Creating negative attention we really don't want. Weekend warriors so to speak. Luckily I'm away from that mess now.

Also to all the dumb *@$%! stop chucking rocks onto the lake to check the ice!

Good luck, Sharpen your chisel and stay safe all.

Cheers.

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2016, 07:37 AM »
Headed up Thursday just the same and will likely have to modify plans based on the rain forecast.  Will make a last minute decision on where to go on Friday after driving around and scouting some areas.  I wouldn't care one way or the other if they cancel the derby.  I'll be fishing either way.  I'm probably bringing the sled just to get gear out on the ice but I wouldn't be surprised if it never makes it on the ice either.  Good luck to all who venture out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.