Author Topic: auger blade safety  (Read 5733 times)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
auger blade safety
« on: Feb 10, 2016, 10:57 AM »
Remember that your auger blades are very sharp. I sharpened mine today and didn't even feel the cut, but after seeing the blood I knew what it was from.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: auger blade safety
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:01 AM »
They'll bite when ever they get a chance.

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2016, 04:29 PM »
I've cut myself on my Nils more times than I care to admit. Haven't cut myself with my Ion yet. Pike teeth are sharp too. When I released a 25" one today, it thanked me by sticking a tooth under my pinkie fingernail. :o ;)2
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:19 PM »
the allen wrench slipped out on me one year and yes the bones are white really white

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:54 PM »
the allen wrench slipped out on me one year and yes the bones are white really white
Been there, done that

Offline mikey ice fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2016, 09:20 AM »
I got myself first ice last year chipping built up ice off the blade. I missed and hit the blade right across my knuckles. 2 hospitals and a surgery later. I severed 2 tendons, ended up with 27 stitches and a cast from the elbow to my finger tips. Lucky I still have my index finger. The hand still isn't right but i'm back out on the ice! That was my 2015 season. The blades on these augers are razor sharp so be careful!

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2016, 05:52 PM »
I got myself first ice last year chipping built up ice off the blade. I missed and hit the blade right across my knuckles. 2 hospitals and a surgery later. I severed 2 tendons, ended up with 27 stitches and a cast from the elbow to my finger tips. Lucky I still have my index finger. The hand still isn't right but i'm back out on the ice! That was my 2015 season. The blades on these augers are razor sharp so be careful!
Wow bother glad your ok.
Fish on!

Offline Smally22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2016, 11:42 AM »
Been there, done that

Yup, did the same thing in my parents house at 1am the night before I went fishing.  Turns out that duct tape and gauze doesn't work to repair your pinky tip laying on the floor.
Keep Your Stick on the ICE!!!

Offline HeclaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2016, 11:52 AM »
Happened to me once.  Allen key broke loose unexpectedly all at once.  M'wyf almost fainted when she seen the red fountain. 

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2016, 04:40 AM »
They are so sharp that I am going to buy the full auger shield from Otter. Cover that comes with the StrikeMaster is marginal at best. The cover on my K-drill is quite good.

I would hate to see my pooch or a young kid run into or fall on the un-protected blades.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2016, 06:07 PM »
Almost three weeks ago I nailed the back of my middle finger near my fingernail on my 8"  Nils as I was trying too fast to leave work to go fishing, get home, change my clothes, and reattach my auger blade with my left hand with my bibs only half on, not watching what I was doing.  I slapped what I think was the corner of the blade with the back of my finger.  It was a horseshoe piece of skin that got gouged and was dripping everywhere. 

I applied pressure, got a paper towel and pressed down some more.  I stopped the bleeding just long enough to drip some arrow fletching glue that I keep in the fridge onto my cut (the glue smells and works like super glue).  A piece of towel stuck to the wound as I pressed to try to keep it from bleeding and blew on the glue to dry it.  The small piece of towel that stuck was saturated with blood and made it look worse than it really was.  It did hurt a bit, but it wasn't that nasty throbbing that you get when you break something.  I wrapped it and went fishing.

The paper fell off after a few days and the wound didn't get infected.  When I glued it, I had bent my finger so that it wouldn't pop apart as it healed.  It worked.  I only had to add a drop of glue on the right side of the horseshoe slice a day or two later to keep it pressed together.  I also kept a bandage on it since it hurt every time that I banged it on something, and I couldn't stop finding stuff to bang it on.

It turned out better than going to the walk-in clinic for stitches.  I was able to get out onto the ice that day.  Simple tasks, like tying a lure took longer to accomplish, but after 2+ weeks it finally closed up and at 3 weeks looks better than if I would have gotten stitches.

If I could do this over, I would be more careful and not be in such a hurry!  I should know better.

Not that it would have helped in this case, but I did get a Cold Snap auger cover delivered in the mail soon after after I cut myself.  I won't go on about the couple of times that I messed with the stock, garbage cover that came with the auger and I cut myself or torn my pant leg, but after using the Cold Snap cover in my house to figure out how to use it, I'll never use the cover that originally came with my auger again.  It's going in the trash.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2016, 07:36 PM »
good story, I've healed many a cut with electrical tape and paper towels. cinch it up tight enough and leave it for a few hours, who needs walk in clinics.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.