Author Topic: Extended forecast  (Read 671 times)

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Extended forecast
« on: Feb 10, 2016, 07:47 AM »
 Forecast doesn't look good for late ice. Be careful and get in while you still can.

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Extended forecast
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:06 AM »
Next week (Sunday - Weds) looks like temps in the low 50s range, which can really change ice conditions quickly, especially if there is wind.  There will still be fishable places after that for sure, but with shore access being one of the first things to go downhill, getting onto the safe ice will likely be an issue in a lot of places.

I've been in the area for about 14 years now, and I've got my own list of places to check within an hour's drive once I deem that "X" is no longer a safe body of water to fish.  A lot of the places that are further down the list are either: a) sheltered from wind  b) deep at the south or west ends or c) both.  You can be pretty sure that shore access on the north and east sides of a body of water will be the first to go, followed by the ice on top of shallower sections and anything downwind of open water.

There can be quite a bit of variability within a short distance as well.  I can't tell you how many seasons the ice has dwindled down to "2 stabs with the spud bar" unsafe at Walnut Creek in Papillion, only to find 9 inches of solid late ice (10+ stabs with the spud bar and still not through) within an hour's drive.

Nate

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.