The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Got a week off, Now what?!?  (Read 495 times)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Got a week off, Now what?!?
« on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:43 PM »
So I'm taking next week off from work. So the plan is of course to try to fish every day. Now comes the tough part, with so many choices within an hour and a half from me, where do I start?!?  Of course I have my usual 2 lakes (only really started my fishing obsession two years ago)  that I would spend a day off on. I know one lake of bass, perch, and sunfish fairly well...at least half of it, I haven't ventured passed the narrows into the second half, which is fairly shallow.
the second lake is bigger with trout/salmon and I'm still figuring it out, I usually get skunked half my trips there. It tends to be slow producer, on top of a two line limit (guess where yet lol). I though maybe I'll put more effort into this lake for a day or two, but I don't want to end up being stubborn with this spot when there's so many other choices that also have very nice fish.
So stretch my legs out to new waters or get to know these two lakes a lot better. there's been only a handful of other lakes which I've fished once or twice, so I'll prob hit them too. Then I have a few places I've been meaning to try, but haven't yet.

Anyone have any suggestions or would like to meet up and fish for a day let me know! I'm open to fishing just about any species. I just want to be within an hour or two from Portland, and I tend to hole hop with a jig rod but I have traps to set if need be.

If the 10 day forecast holds  :roflmao:  it looks like I may get a day or two in with a fly rod towards the end of the week.

Offline Bottle_O_Moxie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have you ever had to jig your scoop back up?
Re: Got a week off, Now what?!?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2016, 04:57 PM »
Just a suggestion, how about Hancock Pond?
Park at the boat launch, and walk/ride about 1/3 up the lake to the west side.  Find a rocky point and set traps shallow for bass action and then set a couple away from shore for browns.  Or go right in the middle and have some sets for browns and then jig the bottom for yellows.  The perch in there are small but if you get into them, can be entertaining while waiting for a trout flag.  They had enough ice for the derby there a week ago.
If you haven't been there before it's about one hour from Portland.  The bite can be wicked slow there at times but if a trout trap goes up, it could be a real nice one.
Also has enough coves on both sides to always be out of the wind if no portable shack.
Good luck next week.   :tipup:

Offline Icicle1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2016, 05:05 PM »
Go to East Grand. Always did well & well worth the trip.
Is it sometimes a fish being caught or you?

Offline FLKeys_Dave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2016, 05:07 PM »
Yeah, fishing a different lake every day next week is my plan as well. I'll be in the Central Maine area, but if you're interested in a hike up here it would be a nice change of pace to fish with someone.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2016, 07:49 PM »
Hancock sounds promising, I do have a pop up shack but I never use it.
East grand is too far for me.  I can only make day trips since I have so many critters that need my attention, and I'm horrible at driving long distance, I get too drowsy lol.

FL Dave, what towns will you be around, I may take it trip out to meet up

I find that the lakes I fish the most are in the limerick (York) area as that's where my buddy lives and he's the one with a boat (until this past summer, now I have a pond boat) so I was most farmiliar with those waters. Now it's time for me to explore I guess, so Looks like I need to get one of those lake map apps, but of course there's no substitute to local knowledge...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.