New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: I've heard of this before, but never saw it before...  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So, last Sat., during the Northern Challenge, I got a flag. Only took a little line. I waited a few minutes, expecting a run. Nope. No run. I figured a hit and run or a dropped bait. Nope. Pulled up a small pike. He acted dead. He wasn't legal size. I spread his jaws to un-hook him. He was NOT hooked. My very large sucker was stuck in his throat. The sucker's body was up against the gills on one side and the tail was up against the other gill. I pulled the bait out. In a moment, the pike came back to life. I set him free. Talk about "biting off more than you can chew"...    The pike was only slightly larger than the sucker! My first time to do the Hiemlich  Maneuver on a freaking pike!!! lol

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: I've heard of this before, but never saw it before...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:51 PM »
I found a dead pike with a bluegill in its mouth years ago at Mendon ponds.
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline BigT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2016, 10:44 PM »
Couple of years ago I saw a good size Walleye trying to swallow a big blue gill tail first. He tried for two days to spit it out, then he disappeared

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2016, 04:19 AM »
Somewhere I've seen a picture of a fingerling pike eating another the same size!

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2016, 05:03 AM »
when   i  was up in quebec a few years ago we got a 22 incher that swallowed a 13 inch walleye we had on and it had another 15 incher hanging out of its  throat hungry little guy he was!!!!!

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2016, 05:47 AM »
Never caught a choking fish but I almost caught a muskie twice that was never hooked. Had a flag go up while using a 8" trout. Set the hook fought the fish all the way to the hole when I saw the 35ish" muskie had the trout by the tail. Clearly could see the hook in the bait. Made one attempt to land but as soon as I touched the muskie he took off. Reset the flag, walked back to my chair looked back to see the flag up again. Same story with the same size fish guessing the same fish but never know. This time he had the trout by the head but no hook.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:05 AM »
Never caught a choking fish but I almost caught a muskie twice that was never hooked. Had a flag go up while using a 8" trout. Set the hook fought the fish all the way to the hole when I saw the 35ish" muskie had the trout by the tail. Clearly could see the hook in the bait. Made one attempt to land but as soon as I touched the muskie he took off. Reset the flag, walked back to my chair looked back to see the flag up again. Same story with the same size fish guessing the same fish but never know. This time he had the trout by the head but no hook.

You just reminded me of three similar events, one on the Kadeross and two on Fish Creek (Saratoga Lake).
Kadeross: Trout fishing. Felt a snag. Brought it in. I had snagged an old line with a live trout on it. Nice fish.
Fish Creek: Same thing, snagged line, but had a sickley looking pickeral on it. Then, while perch fishing, had one on, just before I had it out of the hole, a large pike swam by and hammered it. The perch was missing the side of his head when I finally got it  out of the hole. Didn't get the pike but it was fun fighting him for that perch on 4lb. line!

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:20 AM »
I have found several pike floating on the surface with bluegills wedged in their throat

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:24 AM »
I once had a 4/5 inch sucker out in front of the house for pike and had brook trout take it. The trout was 14 inches....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:15 AM »
happens all the time with perch. I use what the bait shops now adays call "pike bait" and I get a flag and pull up a jumbo perch with the shiner half out of his mouth. no hooks in them

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2016, 12:56 PM »
Pike eat anything
Master Laker taker.

Offline Lineman0406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:12 PM »
Had the same thing happen at the northern challenge, pulled out a 15-16" pike choking on a jumbo shiner. Wish I took a pic, the hook wasn't even close to in its mouth.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:20 PM »
I caught a bass by the sinker once. String got wrapped around the end of his lip
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2016, 09:22 AM »
COOL STUFF!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2016, 07:04 PM »
Fish are pigs in general. I caught a 19" brown trout once out of a stream you could jump across. first cast he stripped my bait. Second cast I caught him, and when I landed him I noticed how fat he was. When I got home and cut open him open, he had 3 mice and a mole already in his stomach! That's a pig!!!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Tanimal85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2016, 09:07 PM »
I jigged up a 10" smelt at Schroon Lake a few years ago.  I put it out on a tip up and 20 minutes later the tip up went off and I pulled up a 15" laker with the smelt in his throat.  I figured I was going pull up a giant.  Still amazes me to this day.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.  Teach a man to ice fish and he'll sit on the ice and drink beer all weekend.

Offline numbtoes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • numbtoes
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2016, 09:59 PM »
Worm fishing off one of the public docks in Lake George village years ago I hooked a bluegill and just as I was about to lift it from the water a pike came up and grabbed it. I opened the bail and let it swim back down for about a minute. Then I closed the bail and reeled it back in as slowly as I could. It fought but I managed to lift it back up on the dock and took the hooked bluegill out of its mouth. The pike was legal but but unharmed so I put it back in the lake. Kept the bluegill.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2016, 01:50 AM »
happens all the time with perch. I use what the bait shops now adays call "pike bait" and I get a flag and pull up a jumbo perch with the shiner half out of his mouth. no hooks in them
Yup, have had small perch many times choking on medium and large shiners...pull them up without a hook stuck in them.

I caught a keeper LM Bass once ice fishing, with no bait at all ! I was checking the water depth with one of those bright orange lead clip on depth sounders to a bare treble and just as it hits bottom ....Wham !... a Nice bass inhales the depth sounder and treble.... and I hauled him in. :)
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline maverickbr77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2016, 02:19 AM »
pulled a 16" pickerel with a 14" pickerel most of the way down its throat

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2016, 03:39 AM »
I caught a largemouth a number of years back that was trying to eat a bullhead tail first. Barbs were out, stopping the bullhead from going any further but the rest of the fish was in the bass' gullet.

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:47 AM »
ive had muskie attack smallmouths that we were realing in it happened 3 times in one day !

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2016, 06:20 AM »
Ok here's another good one, and I swear this is real(i have a pic somewhere) I was fishing bass in a private pond owned by a friend, casting a hollow body frog. I got a good hit, set the hook, and pulled in a small(maybe 11 or 12 inch) bass. When I was unhooking it saw something sticking out of its throat that looked odd. I reached in with my pliers and pulled out a bird leg along with a few feathers.  What i saw was the four toes of the foot. Strangest thing I ever saw in a fish!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2016, 09:58 AM »
There was a posting on here a few years ago, of a video, of a fellow cleaning a massive pike. TRUE STORY! You can probably still see the video somewhere on here. He removed a full grown Canada goose from the pikes stomach!

Offline Longlegg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2016, 12:25 PM »
I found a 37" pike with a bullhead lodged in it's gullet and a 20" smallmouth with a bluegill in it's gullet. Both fish were flopping on the surface nearly dead. I also had a 19" pike hit by a musky right next to the boat. When zebra mussels first arrived in the river I often had rock bass or smallmouths hit by pike when they were being retrieve. I believe they were hungry and short on food. They seemed to be attracted to the spinning rock bass.

Offline ice master 19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2016, 01:58 PM »
One day a friend and I were fishing for perch.  I left the shanty to set out some tip ups for a possible walleye later in the day.  Came back to get the bait and my friend asked how much a new jigging pole cost.   My pole was at the bottom of chaumont.  After hand drilling about 30 holes I managed to get on top of the pole using his underwater camera.   After snagging it I started to feel in the line and had not one but 2 keeper sized perch on the line.  Never seen anything like it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.