Author Topic: adding structure???  (Read 1210 times)

Offline IceGunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
adding structure???
« on: Feb 09, 2016, 04:07 PM »
Are their regulations regarding the addition of structure, cedar trees specifically but could include other things, to a public body of water?  Forms, permits, etc..

Other than littering laws.   Just curious, wouldn't mind spending a weekend with the kids and placing some weighted cedar trees on the ice but I am guessing that I might be in violation of littering laws.
In God We Trust

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: adding structure???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2016, 05:36 PM »
Are their regulations regarding the addition of structure, cedar trees specifically but could include other things, to a public body of water?  Forms, permits, etc..

Other than littering laws.   Just curious, wouldn't mind spending a weekend with the kids and placing some weighted cedar trees on the ice but I am guessing that I might be in violation of littering laws.

Oh yes, there are rules and regulations from the U.S Army Corps of Engineers on down. :o

But do not let that stop you, it certainly can be done.

Whichever waterbody you have in mind, contact the regional fisheries supervisor, tell him what you have in mind, go from there.  Contact information for all of those regional fisheries supervisors can be found in the front of the Fishing Guide, http://digital.outdoornebraska.gov/i/621072-fishing-guide-2016.  That would be page 6 in this year's guide.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline IceGunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:41 PM »
Thank you,  I truly appreciate it.
In God We Trust

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2016, 10:49 PM »
how about clearing out brush Daryl?  At minitare out here western Nebraska the dead fall has really choked up some on the better fishing spots in the trees over the years. just wondering what it would take to be able to maybe get something organized to get all that cleaned out. hell as many campers as this lakes sees it would be nothing to chord it out and sell it for fire wood, or give it away as fire wood to avoid disposal or transportation costs. I've always thought it would be a great job for the inmates at the local jail  ;D, you know, outside all day and not in jail sounds like hell of deal to me for just moving some trees. your thoughts sir?

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2016, 05:52 AM »
Nobody's happy. Some people want more trees in a lake, others less.  ;D

dc

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:05 AM »
Nobody's happy. Some people want more trees in a lake, others less.  ;D

dc

And the fish do well with more trees in the "lake".

For that reason this pointy-headed fisheries biologist is not going to tell anyone that anything can be done to remove flooded trees, brush, or any other kind of cover from almost any body of water.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:41 AM »
I sure structure placed out on the ice and left there to fall in when the ice melted would draw complaints from those that didn't understand what was being done, and would probably be set on fire or dragged back off the lake.

However, I have found that structure strategically placed in a lake from a boat during open water and between the hours of 1-3 a.m. draws very few if any complaints. :whistle:

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:41 AM »
Don't get me wrong by any means I belive in the cover being needed as well. If you were able to see what I'm talking about it would all make sense I assure you. This is more of a nuisance than a viable cover source. If the wind blows you can hardly take the boat across the lake as everything has blown into open water. What was once upon a time great fishing and habitat is slowly being choked to death. Again all about the preserving of habitat and fishery quality for future generations!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.