Author Topic: Artic blast  (Read 3071 times)

Offline Eric Ferrazza

• Team IceShanty Regular
Artic blast
« on: Feb 09, 2016, 03:54 PM »
 :tipup: ;DReal cold snap on its way may be able to fish patchaug

Offline PIKEASORIS

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Artic blast
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2016, 05:42 PM »
I'll be checking it out after work this Friday . I belong to the fish and Game club.Open water as of last Sunday. Stay Safe.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2016, 06:17 PM »
It will help out in the ice department,Will also help out with the Ct get together this Sat. Maybe just mayby some walter fishing next week!! As always this yr. play on the safe side

Offline mookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:06 PM »
Got a warm spell in mid winter? Just shave your head and beard. That's what I did last week. Works every time 60% of the time!

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2016, 05:40 PM »
A word to the wise, two or three days of freezing temps are not going to make lakes with open water safe to be on them this weekend. Nothing I'd like to tell you better than I'm heading to one of our better walleye lakes,not happening before the 3rd weekend this month Maybe? Saturday will be a great ice fishing day on Winchester for the get together

Offline Eric Ferrazza

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:00 PM »
It will be very windy this weekend hoping for tues but we will see hopfuly lathrups cove on Patchaug will be safe  ???

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2016, 10:44 AM »
:tipup: ;DReal cold snap on its way may be able to fish patchaug

This cold snap is gone in the blink of an eye. Tuesday is supposed to be back in the 40's with up to an inch of rain :o

I'm hoping that next year brings a better ice season.

Offline icetilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2016, 02:01 PM »
This ice season has been great for those of us that don't fish via keyboard...

I so have to agree. I have found safe ice every weekend this year and most places I wouldn't say I was pushing it and I wasn't traveling vast distances. Best thing is go check out the conditions yourself and look at the smaller bodies of water. From some of the stuff i've seen on the different boards people are being very closed mouth about ice conditions so they can have the place to themselves.

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2016, 02:32 PM »
from what i've heard this year its seems eastern ct has had better conditions than the western area. i don't remember that happening before. i've been on safe ice the last 4 weeks. can't fish crystal in ellington yet but i have found plenty of ice, and have had a good year so far.

wt

Offline Eric Ferrazza

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2016, 02:42 PM »
Checked patachaug today at the ramp was skim  to 1/4"  all down from ramp to lathrups split was locked i will check Monday

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2016, 02:48 PM »
I have to agree as well. Although I've had to drive and scout more than usual, I've gotten out a good number of times so far, more than I thought I would when I was golfing and scalloping in shorts in December. The silver linings to this mild winter? Gas is cheap. I've scoped out and fished some new waterbodies, and found some great places to stay in Mass, VT, and NH.  I've been able to expand my collection of spots and my knowledge of New England lakes/ponds... plus my wife is happy that I haven't been on the ice 45 or so times like last year.  I'm actually looking forward to freezing Saturday evening.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2016, 05:37 PM »
I have to say this first blast is cold its only 6pm and its 15* here in hamden, The saturday get together is going to have some bone chilling wind.Building ice from now till then.Your going to think your in Green Bay Wis.

Offline gadabout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2016, 10:00 AM »
Personally , I am a 3 season fisherman . Fresh, ice and keyboard . I feel it keeps things interesting . As for our current ice / no ice / ice maybe coming situation . I have had a decent year . No pics . Sorry it's too involved in this site . I have fished less days but longer hours . I receive ( and try ) to give decent info here ( who knew gardening forum a existed . The age old question. Why can't we all just get along ? Answer is simple. We can't . Period . I will never find it in my numb from ice fishing brain to get along with certain people. That's ok. They probably don't like me anyway . As for this weekend, let me say this : Saturday , you're crazy but it seems doable. But I'm working anyway . Sunday , I think it's an unsafe idea to fish . That's me though . If something happens the cold will make it 100 times worse . Cut your finger on an auger blade Sunday and see what I mean . Be safe guys , let's remember , no fun if it hurts . One last thing , lowhondaaccord is just an Internet bully. All those pics of him fishing are photoshopped.
Gadabout

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2016, 10:33 AM »
Did a mod delete my comment about "pics or it didn't happen"?! That wasn't meant as trash talk; it is just Internet-speak for "Let's see some pics!"

And I, too, have clashed with IowaAccord already this season! I think he must be guy who gets reeeeeaaaallly bored at work.

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2016, 10:49 AM »
Amen on the last two replies.

Flatland, I'll keep you in mind when I re-figure out how to put up pics.

Some guys are talking about the wind chills for the weekend.

Here is the link to NOAA's wind chill table. Stay warm, stay safe!

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/winter/windchill.shtml    :tipup:

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2016, 11:27 AM »
I try to get along with everyone ,I always assume that anyone on this channel is not dissing people to be insulting but just stirring the pot . Take it all with a grain of salt . Life's to short to get upset over imagined slights. This keyboard user hopes to see some of you tomorrow at Winchester. ;D

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2016, 11:44 AM »
Guys, please play nice. Many of us know each other and can flame in jest, but other folks may be offended. Think before you hit send, if you wouldn't say it to the persons face don't put it up here.

Somebody post a fishing story already!  :tipup:

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2016, 11:55 AM »
I really wish I could a make it to Winch tomorrow to meet all of you but I have my gramps' 90th birthday party at noon. He's my best friend and the guy who got me into fishing when I was a kid, so I wouldn't miss it even for an ice fishing gathering (although he'd probably tell me to go fishing instead).
Afterwards I may (leave my keyboard at home and) take my shanty and heater up to West Thompson til an hour past dark. PM me if you're nuts and want to join.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2016, 12:13 PM »
You're making the right choice Global. Family always comes first, happy 90th birthday to your Grandfather.  :thumbsup:

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2016, 12:20 PM »
I'd like to throw a little positivity in here, but I'm a moron when it comes to posting pictures. I have a bunch uploaded to photobucket but I can't remember how to post them into a message. Help me out and I'll post a few photos to hopefully get everyone smiling again.

-Eric

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2016, 12:33 PM »
Imsafanct -

If you have a smartphone, it is easy once you get the hang of it.

1.)Make Photobucket account at Photobucket.com
2.Download the Photobucket app from appstore/Googleplay/whatever.
3.)Once logged onto Photobucket via the app, it will ask you to sync up the photos from yr phone. Once u give it permission it will automatically back up any photos from phone to your Photobucket library.
4.)Go to PB library, choose the picture you want, then click the "i" (info) icon. This will give you a choice of links. Choose "IMG". This will automatically copy the link.
5.)On your Ice Shanty comment, simply "paste". Then click "post". Voila!

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2016, 12:34 PM »
These bass were all caught at Keeney Cove by myself and my fishing buddies over the last 2-3 years. It may be a mudhole, but it's a mudhole with nice bass! Here goes nothing...

Hey, wait a minute...that last one isn't a bass! How'd she get in there?

-Eric

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2016, 12:35 PM »
Great fish. But where's the ice???

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2016, 12:36 PM »
Ooops...I forgot about the ice. Just trying to cheer everyone up.

-Eric

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2016, 12:43 PM »
Those are nice fish, but the bowfin is really cool.

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2016, 12:53 PM »
Eider have you ever caught one before? The one in the pic was the first one I ever caught. They hit like a pike and fight like a smallie. Extremely fun. I caught two more than Summer; one slightly smaller and a 5 pounder that annihilated a senko that I threw into a laydown. Needless to say it was a chore to extricate the bowfin from the fallen tree. Yes, I got wet doing so. Very fun!

-Eric

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2016, 01:12 PM »
Yes, but not through the ice although I have seen some come through the hole. Same as you, the ones we've caught are in the CT River. They are fighters for sure, they run like crazy in shallow water.

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 12, 2016, 01:51 PM »
I would love to catch one of those. I know they can be found in the Taunton River in MA among other places. A guy pulled a big one through the ice at the Oxbow a couple weeks back. There is a pic somewhere on the MA forum...

Offline Eric Ferrazza

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2016, 09:08 AM »
2" at ramp on patchaug

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2016, 12:48 PM »
Fished Mt. Tom this AM.  It wasn't really that cold.  I've fished MUCH colder and still have not lost any fingers.  Knock on wood.  Just have to be prepared.  Bringing a heat source is always a plus...
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.