Author Topic: Phone app for lake maps?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline philljenkinss

• IceShanty Rookie
Phone app for lake maps?
« on: Feb 09, 2016, 12:18 PM »
Hi Guys- do any of you use apps on your phone to load contour maps for the bodies of water you fish? I've seen some apps out there but i figured I'd see if anyone here had any experience/recommendations of a good one. Thanks :)

Offline aron

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Phone app for lake maps?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2016, 12:23 PM »
I use Navionics Boating US with good luck. Never tried looking at anything different as I've been happy with it.

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2016, 12:27 PM »
Navionics x2, but it doesnt have every lake, usually the bigger ones.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2016, 12:35 PM »
Navionics is the one I use. Works well.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2016, 12:37 PM »
Navionics for me as well

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2016, 01:48 PM »
Navionics for me too

Offline seadawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2016, 02:06 PM »
fishidy.com......free app.....good maps and info

Offline ifish4fishwithteeth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2016, 03:31 PM »
One more vote for Navionics

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2016, 03:35 PM »
10$ is worth it! Navionics!

Offline Coldfish98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2016, 04:00 PM »
This isn't specifically a mobile app but I find it works great for looking at maps of local waters. It can't be downloaded or have fancy waypoint features, but for free, if you need a map, it is a good choice: http://webapp.navionics.com

For something with features, I hear the navionics app is good. I use fishidy and it's not bad either.

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline NE Badger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2016, 09:35 PM »
X2 for the Trimble App. I did notice the Navionics was more detailed on contour lines this weekend while finishing with one of my buddies.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2016, 10:05 PM »
Sportsmans Connection have online versions of their books available on Google Play and I would imagine iTunes also.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2016, 12:07 AM »
Is there a yearly fee with the navionics?  I saw that on one of the reviews.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2016, 05:07 AM »
Is there a yearly fee with the navionics?  I saw that on one of the reviews.

I was pretty mad when I saw my "license" on Navionics expired in X amount of days....apparently you pay for a yearly sub.  Not happy with that. Good app though.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2016, 05:11 AM »
ialso use nav.

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:36 AM »
10$ per year for premium! But you can download all the maps in your fishing area and keep them on your device! As with your hotspots you saved! You just won't be able to update your maps, and get new maps after your year has expired.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:35 AM »
10$ per year for premium! But you can download all the maps in your fishing area and keep them on your device! As with your hotspots you saved! You just won't be able to update your maps, and get new maps after your year has expired.

Gotcha!

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:57 AM »
If you have an iPhone I like the app "Aqua Maps" for $3.99. This app is State specific, e.g. New York. It has many more lakes for Maine, where I'm from, than Navionics or other map apps I have looked at. It works off line so you don't need cell service and it saves battery and data charges. There is a web site that you can preview the lakes that are available in your State before you commit to buy http://www.globalaquamaps.com/AquaLakes.html. I also use a standalone GPS receiver, Bad Elf, that improves accuracy and saves battery. I've been very happy with this set up for ice fishing.

Offline jiggn_yb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2016, 12:03 PM »
fishidy.com x2. You are able to mark catches, lure used, weather. You can have the marks be private so only you can see them, only you and your friends, or public.
}<(((°< ~

Offline djn249

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2016, 02:16 PM »
Scoutlook Fishing - ok app for how I use it

Offline philljenkinss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2016, 11:10 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys! I'm going to try out the Trimble app first to see how i like it since it's free ;)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2016, 12:29 AM »
I'm thinking about the Aqua maps app for my state, but I've heard they aren't very accurate.  but at the same time navionics only has about half of the lakes I fish the most.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2016, 06:46 PM »
I'm thinking about the Aqua maps app for my state, but I've heard they aren't very accurate.  but at the same time navionics only has about half of the lakes I fish the most.

I've used this app for a couple of years in Maine. Much for the same reason as you indicated; it's the only one with the lakes I fish the most.  Overall I've been very happy with the app. It has lots of good features once you figure out the instructions. Accuracy has a couple of aspects. Your location on the lake map is very dependent on the accuracy of the positioning system on your device. I use an external GPS/GLONASS receiver (Bad Elf http://bad-elf.com/ ) that improves accuracy and saves my phone battery. Accuracy of the GPS position will vary depending on things like the location of the lake, weather/clouds, etc.  In the GPS world 5 to 10 feet is good.

The other aspect of accuracy is the depth and contour lines on the maps. I find those vary by lake. Some are very accurate, some not so much. I find the contours are usually accurate, so I can find humps and drop offs easily. The actual depth vs the map depth can be off a good bit depending on the lake; again some spot on; some not so much. I think the contours are far more important because we usually have a flasher or some other device to accurately measure depth.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2016, 10:12 PM »
I've used this app for a couple of years in Maine. Much for the same reason as you indicated; it's the only one with the lakes I fish the most.  Overall I've been very happy with the app. It has lots of good features once you figure out the instructions. Accuracy has a couple of aspects. Your location on the lake map is very dependent on the accuracy of the positioning system on your device. I use an external GPS/GLONASS receiver (Bad Elf [url][http://bad-elf.com//url] ) that improves accuracy and saves my phone battery. Accuracy of the GPS position will vary depending on things like the location of the lake, weather/clouds, etc.  In the GPS world 5 to 10 feet is good.

The other aspect of accuracy is the depth and contour lines on the maps. I find those vary by lake. Some are very accurate, some not so much. I find the contours are usually accurate, so I can find humps and drop offs easily. The actual depth vs the map depth can be off a good bit depending on the lake; again some spot on some not so much. I think the contours are far more important because we usually have a flasher of some other device to accurately measure depth.

That makes sense. Thank you!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.