The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hog Island report 2-8-16  (Read 877 times)

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hog Island report 2-8-16
« on: Feb 08, 2016, 03:47 PM »
 So I got a late start today and didn't get on the ice until 9:30.  You can see in this picture that the ice to the south of the access at Tabor Point is only about 3 inches thick and got even thinner the more I walked to deeper water so I came back and fished in 2-4 feet of water.       

You can the bottom through the ice so it was easy to spook the fish.  Oh, yeah, they would come to the hole in twos and threes and if I caught one the others would follow right up to the top of the water, look at me right in the eye like that Jaws shark, and then scoot away.  It was fun to watch them toying with the minnow before one of them would bite it.  I don't think they're stupid animals, you can tell they're thinking down there, and picky, too, they wouldn't eat the dead minnows lying on the bottom in plain sight.

So I didn't have great luck jigging 'cause they knew I was there.  So I set out my tip-ups.  And they kept me very busy, the day went really fast, a beautiful day, warm, not much wind and the bite was steady until I had enough to bring home and still keep my head up.

And my girlfriend even offered to fry 'em up this time (I guess she read my last post, you never know who's reading this).

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
Re: Hog Island report 2-8-16
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2016, 04:34 PM »
Cool post jbritch! It's amazing how clear both the ice and the water are there! Looks like a tasty batch of Yellows, that's for sure.  :)
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2016, 04:19 AM »
Nice fish fry coming up ! :)

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2016, 05:13 AM »
You're right and here they are...

I did the fries, hand cut russetts... can't believe she let me cook in the kitchen at the same time...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2016, 05:28 AM »
Nice report!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:25 AM »
 ;D Great fries!!
Dick

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2016, 06:56 PM »
Now that's a good story with a happy ending.   :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.