Author Topic: Pike take bait head first --Proof-- ~~~Update False flag video~~~  (Read 3048 times)

Offline campingonh2o

• Team IceShanty Regular
 Video of a pike waiting for the bait to turn, then takes it head first https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoKJAwJA3a8 

While gill fishing I was seeing a lot of pike on camera so set up one of my poles with a shiner. Caught 3 in 1/2 hr. was a ton of fun with a pole and and aqua vu camera.

2nd video head first--- very fast hit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pA4vuTH02M

Updated new video below

I have had a few false flags, each time I could see the shaft spinning slowly. When i pulled on the line, I found that the bait had just dropped to the bottom. Here is a video of what may have tripped the flag. https://youtu.be/fuC18ZGJdXc   In this video I actually have the bait rigged to a pole so I was jigging slightly.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Pike take bait head first --Proof--
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2016, 01:59 PM »
That's cool.

Offline Ericbres

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2016, 05:02 PM »
Thanks for sharing ... any tips help!

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2016, 05:16 PM »
Cool video.  Pike are opportunist. They will hit it anyway they can.

Offline burck17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:07 PM »
I once caught a  pike in summer on a daredevil,  it was 28 inches and had 5 inches of a pike tail sticking out its mouth... I pulled it out and it was half decomposed greedy fellas they are

Offline ice2or3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:25 PM »
Way cool !

Offline campingonh2o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2016, 07:00 AM »
Thanks for the comments!

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2016, 07:07 AM »
Those were great videos...  :thumbsup: :clap:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline GourdneckGills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2016, 10:17 AM »
Ive set my camera on tipups and yep its true! if they hit is any other direction they will spit it out and eat it head first, this is so they can swallow and digest it easier im assuming
Life is hard, its harder if youre stupid

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:15 AM »
If there is a stiff dorsal fin, the barbs will not fold down flat and get lodged in the throat.  Same for any bones that might be sticking out after the attack.   If it's swallowed head first, there is less chance of injury for the pike.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:24 AM »
Trout will also do this with sculpin!  That's a cool video!  Thanks for sharing.

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2016, 01:49 PM »
cool video :)

Offline ifish4fishwithteeth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2016, 04:51 PM »
Nice. Thanks!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:18 PM »
Great video,its great to actually see this live so to speak.
Ive kinda thought they would swallow them head 1st, if you have ever filleted a fish you know that if you push a fish backwards on a cutting board the scales "Grab" the board and hold the fish in place.. I can imagine it would be fairly difficult to swallow a fish like that and more so for bait fish like perch ,small crappie and sunfish with spines on their back.... That said every time i have ever caught a pike with a recently ate bait in its throat they are always 100% of the time going down head 1st...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2016, 05:43 AM »
Perch swallow head first too.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Caught plenty of crappies and bluegills with bite marks on back half of fish.  Lucky fish to escape from predator to end up as fish fry for me.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Caught plenty of crappies and bluegills with bite marks on back half of fish.  Lucky fish to escape from predator to end up as fish fry for me.

I have seen this 100s of times. Enough times that i ended up cutting the spikes off the panfish i use as bait. Very few dropped baits when this is done.

What do you think the odds are of you catching a fish that a pike had ahold of at one time? There must be a ton of lucky fish swimming around because i catch one almost daily in pike infested waters. That is proof enough to me that those spikes work as a deterrent and make the pike spit the bait. Ive never seen a sucker or chub/shiner (soft fin) with bite marks.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This makes me think about all of the follows I get in open water. Sometimes they just won't take a stick bait. I have read that getting the stick to spin and face them will make them strike. I'm definitely going to try after watching this. Great video
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2016, 03:36 PM »
Cool video.  Pike are opportunist. They will hit it anyway they can.

I agree.

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
I hate to be the one to disagree with you... yet if your videos show how pike strike the bait, then just how do people manage to catch pike with these rigs to use smelt for bait??

I have caught quite a few pike with this setup and basically impossible for the pike to attack that head first and still be able to set the hook on them.

Offline campingonh2o

• Team IceShanty Regular
I don't mean to imply that pike always take bait head first. In the first video the Pike waited for the bait to turn. So this pike obviously waited to take it head first.  I would ask the pike what his thoughts on the mater were, but let him go before I could. :)  If I was real hungry I would eat a corn cob from the end, but i would rather eat it from the side.

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
I don't mean to imply that pike always take bait head first. In the first video the Pike waited for the bait to turn. So this pike obviously waited to take it head first.  I would ask the pike what his thoughts on the mater were, but let him go before I could. :)  If I was real hungry I would eat a corn cob from the end, but i would rather eat it from the side.

I just didn't want anybody to think that was the only way that a Pike will strike. My apologies if I came off a bit too argumentative.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Taking a bait from the back and EATING the bait from the back end are two different things. Ive found a lot of shad, gills, and emerald shiners in pike/walleye/bass/crappie and they are always head first in the stomach. Yea, i pay attention to those details, it helps me be a better angler.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm thinking the predator will take the prey fish any way it has to but turn it to swallow it head first.  If there's a hook in it, you probably aren't hooking it as it swallowing the bait but just as it is sitting in the predators mouth when you set the hook.   

Imagine sliding a 3" perch inside your fisted hand backwards once.  Then imagine what it would be like swallowing one backwards.  PHEW!!  Not a good thought, even for a snot rocket.  JMO

Offline graywolf

• IceShanty Rookie
This person has quite a few underwater videos of pike and perch.  It seems if a pike can get the whole bait (note the smaller bait) in its mouth, they will take it anyway possible.  If the pike feels the bait is too large, (note when the larger bait is hit) then they will hit it from the side. 

How many times fishing with a tip up, have you jerked on the line as soon as the flag goes up and no fish.  You probably pulled it out of his mouth.  This is not applicable to quick strike rigs.  For many years, I was told by the older fisherman, "Wait until it stops running (which is when they are turning the bait to head first position) give it a couple of seconds, (so the bait is going into the mouth) then cross their eyes with a great yank."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKhWyWlu3HM

Offline campingonh2o

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just didn't want anybody to think that was the only way that a Pike will strike. My apologies if I came off a bit too argumentative.

No worries I get what you are saying and my apologies if I came off as a smart a**

Offline Fishgod

• IceShanty Rookie
We have two pike here at work that I feed live fish to once a week. They will come in and hammer them from any direction, but once the fish is in there mouth they will turn the fish so it goes down head first. EVERY live fish they have consumed goes down head first. As been mentioned, many forage fish have sharp spines on their dorsal or pectoral fins. These spines lay down when consumed head first. For the record, we have permits to hold these pike.
Why do I always leave shrimp in my pocket from last week?

Offline 2MuchStuff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'll be home after dark thirty
its like dragging deer thru the woods .
Dad always said." dont drag against the grain"
the hair always lays towards the back,  if you dont hunt.
that means head first
"if you don't know where to start,go back to the beginning" Alvin Soady.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
I hate to be the one to disagree with you... yet if your videos show how pike strike the bait, then just how do people manage to catch pike with these rigs to use smelt for bait?? (Image removed from quote.)

I have caught quite a few pike with this setup and basically impossible for the pike to attack that head first and still be able to set the hook on them.

You can google up pike fishing mortality rates in ice fishing and it was found that those smelt hooks were helping to kill a lot of the pike that ate them.  Fine if your fishing for the table, if you like releasing them a single 4/0 works fine for me.  If they swallow it, I can easily turn it out using a hook remover. 

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Big bird knows how it is done.

https://youtu.be/cvEgR38dV0M

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.