New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: `eyes  (Read 2361 times)

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
`eyes
« on: Feb 07, 2016, 08:09 PM »
What pound test should I use for walleye on my tip-up`s mono leader?  ???
Master Laker taker.

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: `eyes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2016, 08:31 PM »
I use 8 lb can handle something big!!!my 11.3 on the wall was on that!!!

Offline builtright716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2016, 08:58 AM »
All my tipups have 17# bigame. Never break off pike and have gotten an eye each day I fished this year on a tipup.

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:21 AM »
Don't use 4# like I did. Lost something big when it broke my line while fishing for crappie.  :%$#!: :%$#!:

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:25 AM »
6lbs floro

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:27 AM »
i use 15 lb trilene big game and a 10lb floro leader on all of my tip ups now.works out great wherever i fished.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:14 AM »
12lb flouro main line. Little softer than leader material, think it helps with live Bait on tip ups but you do lose a little abrasion resistance compared to leader material. Never had an issue with eyes tho

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2016, 11:19 AM »
I like 3#or 4 for jigging, but you have to have your drag set right. I wrap it around my hand and give it a good set until I feel it is right. You don't want it too tight but enough to where if the fish wants to run, it can and of I need to,I can loosen it quick enough before it breaks. As for Tipups, I like 6 lbs fluorocarbon with a #14 treble. You don't want to set the hook to hard, it's a light wire hook and shouldn't have a problem penetrating. Another thing, with the light line it gives the bait more moment than a heavier line, like 12#. Plus makes it more natural looking to those finicky eyes.  My opinion and suggestion. I like fishing light and the challenge.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2016, 04:39 PM »
Thanks guys for the info. :)
Master Laker taker.

Offline Teerod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:16 PM »
Is 30pound braid too big?  Only my second year on the ice and still trying to figure it out.

Offline PSC13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:21 PM »
I use 3ft of 20lb berkley Floro have caught alot of trout walleye and pike this year with that set up! Pike only have frayed the line a little I just retie the hook after catching one. Never had one break me off just can't horse them.

Offline jeffd7766

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:45 PM »
I like 6-8lb flouro and I use 5' leaders. I use 10-14 hooks depending on the bait.I'm using.  And use the lightest split shot you possibly can to get the bait down.

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:53 PM »
Targeting walleye doesn't always mean that's what on the other end of the line,yet we are hoping so ...30#seems little overboard for ny waters unless your after trophy musky...I use 6# for my jigging rods on oneida lake...I'd say  8-12 seems decent for most bodies of water in cny

Offline Teerod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2016, 07:09 PM »
Targeting walleye doesn't always mean that's what on the other end of the line,yet we are hoping so ...30#seems little overboard for ny waters unless your after trophy musky...I use 6# for my jigging rods on oneida lake...I'd say  8-12 seems decent for most bodies of water in cny

So I'm talking 30pound braid which is about equivalent of 8pound mono.  Am I in the right ballpark?

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2016, 07:54 PM »
6lb floro. I have caught many pig eyes    saying pig to me is 9 lbs plus.   
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2016, 08:00 PM »
nice eye. do you ever get broke off?  where i fish sometimes i get into real big sturgeons and dont want to get broke off so i go with the 15 lb big game trilene and the 10lb floro leader.

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2016, 08:57 PM »
So I'm talking 30pound braid which is about equivalent of 8pound mono.  Am I in the right ballpark?
30 lb braid  might be the same diameter.as 8lb mono..not close at all to strength your 30# braid will pull a truck out of a ditch.. ;D
I guess what most are trYing to say is they tend to go lighter for walleye cause they can be finikee at times....if you go with braid  read the box 12lb might be the diameter of 4 lb mono...and I'm just guessing  ...but braid seems to be better for tip up because of lack of memory in the line...go with 8 lb braid you will be just fine then use 8-10 lb mono for leader....good luck...when they say same as _lb mono means diameter not strength pretty sure bud

OneidaAngler

« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:06 AM »
The lighter the line, the less likely the fish is to drop the bait. I like to run 6 pound fluorocarbon for walleye. #8 treble or #4 single. Small suckers work the best! I usually don't set tip ups out for walleye on Oneida, but anywhere else they seem to produce great. Big walleye don't usually break the line unless you are horseing them in. If there are quite a few pike where I'm fishing for walleye I might jump up to 10 pound fluorocarbon in case of a toothy critter.

Offline Teerod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2016, 07:41 PM »
Thanks for the advise guys!

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:04 PM »
Is 30pound braid too big?  Only my second year on the ice and still trying to figure it out.                                                     

Are talking using braid for a liter? I wouldn't use braid for a liter. But I am totally against steel too. At least ice fiahing fishing and in cold weather. I use 39# flouroclear by P line. Gotta play the fish but I have gotten some monster Wallleye and Pike. 10+ lb eyes and 20+ lb Pike. Just the way I was taught and it works. Now ny cousin who taught me has gone to lighter liter. 20# and even as low as 15#. I just can't bring myself to do it... But I'm stubborn and don't like change....
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2016, 04:34 PM »
6lb floro. I have caught many pig eyes    saying pig to me is 9 lbs plus.   

Nice fish.   I took a big one like that and smoked it like I do white fish and boy it was good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.