Author Topic: Anyone tried a garmin striker 4  (Read 2207 times)

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
Anyone tried a garmin striker 4
« on: Feb 07, 2016, 07:34 AM »
I just was these and was curious, between the price and the ability to with between standard fishfinder and flasher interested me. So anyone try one on the ice?
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone tried a garmin striker 4
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2016, 02:19 PM »
I have been considering one myself.

Try searching for Garmin Striker in the topic line. There are a few threads and a couple IS members have them. Everybody seems to like it for the price, I have not heard any complaints but wish YouTube had some videos.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline muzzymike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:32 PM »
i have had mine a couple of weeks now.  works as well as my vex fl8 did.  have used it in both flasher mode and graph mode.  only trouble has been keeping the transducer pointing straight down.  i will buy the ice transducer in the future.  gps is basic, i have only used it to mark a few points.  will work better in my moving kayak.  had to get a little creative to mount in a genz box but its now in place.  very easy on the battery.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2016, 08:33 PM »
only trouble has been keeping the transducer pointing straight down.

Is that because of the rigging, or the cord retaining memory in the cold?  The one picture I saw of the transducer looked like the stock setup was pretty easy to get hanging level.  Their ice ducer costs the same price as the unit which I think is a bit over the top compared to other brands.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline mi500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2016, 07:03 AM »
I haven't had problems with getting my transducer to hang level.   My biggest problem is trying to see my jig I have to turn the gain up to 70% ish.   Then when it's that high the weeds just show as a a solid red band.   It might be because I have been using small bluegill jigs.   This is my first unit and I have been very happy compared to the vexilar units I borrowed in the past.   I like the graph mode over the flasher mode.   I get a lot of noise if I try to use it in 5' or less.   

Offline mi500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2016, 07:20 AM »
I made a couple short videos the other day but have not been able to get photobucket to cooperate with me to allow me to post them.   

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2016, 09:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I can't wait to see the video footage of it in use through the ice.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2016, 10:09 AM »
Does the flasher mode have a zoom feature?
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:17 AM »
Does Garmin sell an ice ducer
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:41 AM »
According to the website they sell an ice ducer for striker, but the portable pack is only for the echo models. Not sure they are interchangeable.
I'm interested in the 7sv model, since using the Helix 5 last summer I got to really liking the side imaging, but the Helix leaves a lot to be desired. I'll be following this thread.

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2016, 05:44 PM »
The striker 4 does come in a portable package.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.