The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fontenelle expansion?  (Read 2297 times)

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fontenelle expansion?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2016, 06:45 AM »
Rip rap around the entire lake? Interesting!

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2016, 07:44 AM »
Rip rap around the entire lake? Interesting!

This would be a total and complete waste of money, with no real gain to the state of WY.  There is no purpose for this water!  What exactly they plan to grow with it at 6000+ feet Between Fontenelle and the town of Green River that would make up the costs?  All it will do is allow the lake to be drawn down more.

This project would turn the reservoir into a Gurnsey Reservoir, where they draw it down to nothing then re-fill.  It would absolutely destroy the fishery there.

Offline Nezlugh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2016, 11:37 AM »
I had heard from someone in LaBarge they were dropping it to work on the dam. Now I understand.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2016, 02:32 PM »
This would be a total and complete waste of money, with no real gain to the state of WY.  There is no purpose for this water!  What exactly they plan to grow with it at 6000+ feet Between Fontenelle and the town of Green River that would make up the costs?  All it will do is allow the lake to be drawn down more.

This project would turn the reservoir into a Gurnsey Reservoir, where they draw it down to nothing then re-fill.  It would absolutely destroy the fishery there.

You echoed my thoughts.  I am wondering how this seems to have slipped under the radar?  I don't remember hearing any discussions on this or reading about it in the paper?

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2016, 10:08 PM »
You echoed my thoughts.  I am wondering how this seems to have slipped under the radar?  I don't remember hearing any discussions on this or reading about it in the paper?
It has been in the news for while.  They wanted to get the Feds to pay, but it does not meet the cost benefit Analysis criteria.  But they keep pushing foreword…

Offline Wyo_Ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2016, 07:40 AM »
Last time I was out there, it seemed like they were already lowering lake levels. Maybe its just the normal "winter drain" technique they have used over the last few years to make room for runoff, but it can make for getting on and off the ice a real trick.

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2016, 10:34 AM »
I did the math and Fontenelle is roughly 8000 acres in surface area right now. They want to expand it by 85000 acre feet of capacity. That equates to about a 10 rise in water level. Wouldn't that make it go over the highway on the North end especially during runoff? I don't like the idea personally especially the riprap part.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2016, 01:30 PM »
I did the math and Fontenelle is roughly 8000 acres in surface area right now. They want to expand it by 85000 acre feet of capacity. That equates to about a 10 rise in water level. Wouldn't that make it go over the highway on the North end especially during runoff? I don't like the idea personally especially the riprap part.

It is confusing.  They talk of "expansion" but what they are planning is to line the dam face lower down with rip-rap so that they can draw more water out of the reservoir and lower it down to a super small pool. 

There is no expansion!  They will just draw the reservoir down to nothing and suck out all the water and fish, so it can fill up again the next year.  How this is in any way useful is beyond twisted logic......

Offline culinarypunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2016, 03:44 PM »
Have any of you email her?
Does anyone have more info than what the article had?

Offline opyff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2016, 07:19 PM »
I've read that Wyoming has wanted to increase their water storage seems how they have to release a certain amount downstream every year. But I am curious if they plan to build up the damn and what the hell for? As far as I know there is very little water drawn between the dam and the Utah border. Or is this another political attempt at sending more of our water to the Colorado front range?

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2016, 08:17 AM »
I think it has a lot to do with holding onto Wyoming's water and not sending it to California.

ClearCreek

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2016, 08:31 AM »
I think it has a lot to do with holding onto Wyoming's water and not sending it to California.

ClearCreek

I understand that is what the goal is behind this.  But this is not by any definition a logical or useful way to spend public money. 

What, other than briefly hold more water behind the dam, will this project accomplish other than destroy a fishery? The water will end up in Flaming Gorge (which has not been at capacity for many years) in a few hours!

Offline LingEater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2016, 11:06 AM »
I'd recommend sending a letter to Gov. Mead asking him to explain why this project is necessary.  I tend to agree with Dorado that the project really has no tangible benefits. However, the state might be doing this in an attempt to prevent California, Nevada and Arizona from exceeding their use under the Colorado River Compact. I believe that Wyoming uses very little water under the Compact but there are grand plans for an industrial complex in/near Rock Springs that may use significant quantities.  Then of course, there is always a push for transbasin diversions like the Million pipeline and sending water over Union pass into the Wind River.  Gov. Mead does not seem give care much about fisheries or wildlife but it would be good to let his office know that people are concerned.  I'd be happy to sign one or even draft it - the more signatures from you all the better.

Offline opyff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2016, 04:28 PM »
http://www.hcn.org/articles/green-river-could-boost-industrial-complex-dream

Here's a pretty good article that explains the construction and capacity increase a lot better. The article originally shared was a bit misleading and vague compared to this article from last June. In a nutshell, only the lower third of the dam has rip rap, therefore they cannot draw the reservoir down to that level for fear of erosion due to the waves. If they rip rap the entire dam, then they can drain the entire reservoir during drought years, therefore accessing that additional acre feet of water stored below the current rip rap level that is currently inaccessible.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.