Author Topic: Paint chipping on jigs  (Read 4280 times)

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Paint chipping on jigs
« on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:57 PM »
The Diamond Jig by CJ&S, is one of my favorites. But the paint chips off. It's not like I am banging them around. I also had the paint come completely off one side of an HT Marmooska jig. Maybe I'm expecting better quality. Has anyone else had this happen?

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Paint chipping on jigs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2016, 08:13 PM »
If they were powder coated maybe they were not baked after coating.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2016, 12:44 AM »
I've had the paint chip off the HT Marmooskas before after it's been used a while from the fish biting it. 

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2016, 01:02 AM »
had the paint on all of my tungsten's from sportmensdirect.com do this they don't bake there jig with powder paint right is the problem or there just flat out doing it wrong..i have made a ton of jig not sure if I could match up the colors you want with powder paint.. if you want you could do it your self? I suggest it your self casue it will be fun for you over the months of no snow... I would take hardware store acetone put in a mason canning jar half way up the jar  and throw the half painted jigs in there the paint will then remove with a rag  or paper towel and be ready for repaint... I powder paint mine then bake but I think that eye is so small on the Japanese  tungsten's that they don't twice bake them? the second bake hardens my paint to the jig if it is a eye like a crystal take some supper glue and those fashion beads they sell like bead dazzler on tv and for clothes they got rhinestones they sell at joann fabrics maybe Michel's craft stores? super glue those to your painted jig or use some five minute epoxy? it easier said then done to paint your own jigs most of all swirl type jigs tell you the truth if there swirl type paint look up marbling rod finish how I did it was with rod finish and powder paint in the colors you like and you add the base color to the jig like glo white to the epoxy rod finish... then while turning in the rod /jig drier you let it even out then you add a second color and let it swirl around the jig while turning then glue those rhinestones back on...   all the tungsten that is epoxy type or powder type etc... is junk I expect more but they just don't give it? good question is it because the eye might frost over and not be useable?? by the way the actone should not be used with rubber gloves get hemo's to remove them from it  you don't want it in your body ... ya  be careful with the acetone around flame etc it is flammable to...if you need help let me know hobbies become obsessions real quick ...     

ya it was from gill pecking it off!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2016, 07:12 AM »
When I have time. I dip my jigs in clear gloss vinyl. Then hang to dry. No more chipping paint.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2016, 03:33 PM »
I don't know if I'll go thru the steps to repaint them. We're only talking about four jigs. I do plan on calling CJ&S tomorrow. I am also going to give my other jigs a coating of Sally Hansen Hard as Nails. I use it on some of the flies I tie.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2016, 11:00 PM »
Clam's Drop Jig has the most durable paint job I've found. Cold Snap's Toothpick is a great tool for keeping jigs unchipped.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2016, 07:51 AM »
Agree with the toothpick.  Most all of my chipping came from using hemos.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2016, 11:22 AM »
Agree with the toothpick.  Most all of my chipping came from using hemos.

I rarely need to use hemos, but perhaps that's what's causing my problem. I'll have to see if I can find the toothpick locally. If not, I'll put it on my list of things to order before next ice season.

Offline wv_ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2016, 08:13 PM »
Try some UV resin that fly Tyers use
Arghh plundering other people's iceholes since 1981 aarrhhhhggg.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2016, 07:02 AM »
I have had several tungsten jigs loose their paint. Didn't stop the fish, only bothered me. The problem I have with the small tungsten's I use, is that the hooks break off after awhile.
If you use pliers, the paints coming off. I use a two part clear epoxy and mix in the color I want and smear it on the jigs. Also have mixed glow in the dark powder into the epoxy.
The clearer the epoxy the better for the glow. If the epoxy has a yellow tint or doesn't dry clear, it won't glow as good as it should.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline wolverine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I ain't gettin em I'm Lookin
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2016, 10:35 AM »
I have not had problem with chipping paint since I put heat shrink tubing on both jaws of my hemos, less line damage also.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 15, 2016, 05:15 PM »
I purchased Toothpick from CJ&S and am anxious to give it a try this season.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2016, 07:32 PM »
I have not had problem with chipping paint since I put heat shrink tubing on both jaws of my hemos, less line damage also.

That's a great idea.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:50 PM »
Out of all my jigs I have. The Fiskas I just got in the mail seem way more durable than anything ive tried. They have some sort of rock-hard epoxy coating over the paint and every single eye is paint-free.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:20 AM »
Out of all my jigs I have. The Fiskas I just got in the mail seem way more durable than anything ive tried. They have some sort of rock-hard epoxy coating over the paint and every single eye is paint-free.

Fiskas are, IMO, the best tungsten jigs available today. Very consistent in quality. I keep the 30+ I own in an aluminum Perrine #69 fly box. It has 30 metal clips on one side and a magnet sheet on the other. I have had zero paint chip from removing them from the metal clips. Floating them under a float in the summer and banging them against rocks is another story though. They might be ~$3 a piece, but it's very much worth it.

Also, a cheaper alternative to the UV fly resin is Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails. Cheap and incredibly durable. It's for fingernails but is an awesome head cement and would work great for coating cheaper jigs.

You will enjoy your Fiskas.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2017, 06:32 PM »
Fiskas are, IMO, the best tungsten jigs available today. Very consistent in quality. I keep the 30+ I own in an aluminum Perrine #69 fly box. It has 30 metal clips on one side and a magnet sheet on the other. I have had zero paint chip from removing them from the metal clips. Floating them under a float in the summer and banging them against rocks is another story though. They might be ~$3 a piece, but it's very much worth it.

Also, a cheaper alternative to the UV fly resin is Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails. Cheap and incredibly durable. It's for fingernails but is an awesome head cement and would work great for coating cheaper jigs.

You will enjoy your Fiskas.

Pulled two buckets of gills and sunnies on a 3mm Fiskas today and it still looks brand new.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.