The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Stupid question maybe  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Trout Hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
Stupid question maybe
« on: Feb 06, 2016, 04:03 PM »
Walpys question about sardines got me thinking. When I was a kid I would use almost anything I could find as bait...  Hot dogs, rolled up pb&j sandwich, beef jerky...  Basically whatever I brought along as a snack. I was just searching the web for info and the only regs I can find pertain to bait fish. Is it legal to use pieces of meat or homemade dough baits?  I found a reference that said anything with a natural scent can't be used as an artificial lure, but it didn't say that it couldn't be used where live bait is legal. Also does anyone know if powerbait is considered to be natural?  Could one use a second hook baited with powerbait legally on the same tip up?
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Stupid question maybe
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2016, 05:04 PM »
Powerbait (dough and plastics) and anything with a scent can't be used in artificial only waters in Maine.

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2016, 06:17 PM »
Power bait with its natural additives is not classified as an artificial bait.

Also, you cannot use 2 baited rigs such as 2 with shiners or 2 with worms, or 2 with one baited with a shiner and another with a piece of powerbait.

Maine Fish and Wildlife lists the legal "baitfish" because there are certain fish they don't want to get established in Maine. Other natural stuff like hotdogs, jerky, deer meat, dough balls are legal in general law waters but not in fly fishing only waters.

Offline Fishn'Rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2016, 10:49 AM »
Powerbait is completely legal...nothing natural about it.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2016, 11:33 AM »
I've caught some of my trout on saltwater clam.
Steve

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2016, 12:17 PM »
Powerbait is completely legal...nothing natural about it.

Be careful with that, anything with a scent is not legal in artificial only waters.

Offline Trout Hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2016, 12:59 PM »
Thanks for info. I never would have thought that power worms would be considered a "natural" bait. So I would surmise that tipping more than one hook on a jigging rap with any form of bait would also be in violation? 
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline Fishn'Rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2016, 01:46 PM »
This powerbait thing has been thrown around before...look at the definition of artificial lure in the rulebook....that question and answer thing hasn't been updated in years....Last spring I was check by two wardens in separate regions on alo ponds and neither had a problem with the powerbait I was using.

Offline Fishn'Rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2016, 01:55 PM »
Artificial Lure:
Any fishing lure constructed by humans as an
imitation or substitute for natural bait or fish
forage and includes, but is not limited to artificial
flies, spinners, spoons, poppers, plugs, jigs and
plastic, rubber or other artificial imitations of
natural bait. An artificial lures only rule prohibits
the use of any live, dead or chemically preserved natural or organic bait or food.
That's the definition....there is absolutely nothing natural or organic about powerbait.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2016, 08:59 PM »
Maybe we need a letter from the warden service to clarify this, but a quick search brought up and older thread that was talking about power bait, http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=225020.0 our own saltyshores weighed in, though not sure if he was referring to the power eggs or to the worms too.
The different forms of power bait makes it confusing, but for sure the trout dough bait is not considered artificial, neither are any gulp products. As far as the wording of the law goes (then depending on the wardens interpretation) any scented lure is not allowed.  Powerbait has scent, one of their biggest selling points.
One of the big problems with out system is not all the info is in one place
IF&G FAQ: http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/frequently_asked_questions.html in reference to scented lures (and Alabama rig)
ME warden FAQ: http://www.maine.gov/ifw/warden_service/faq.html where it mentions biodegradbles

Offline Fishn'Rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2016, 07:49 AM »
Dude...call them and ask them then.  I'll say it again...absolutely nothing natural or organic about gulp or powerbait.... absolutely 100% artificial man made product.

Offline Trout Hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2016, 08:38 AM »
So, apparently I'm not the only one who is having trouble interpreting the laws...  Just called IF&W in Augusta and was transferred twice to people that didn't have the answer. I'm now waiting for a call back from a warden. I will share what I find out when I get some answers. 

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:13 AM »
Dude...call them and ask them then.  I'll say it again...absolutely nothing natural or organic about gulp or powerbait.... absolutely 100% artificial man made product.
That may be your interpretation, but it says clearly on those pages scent is not allowed, and biodegradable (gulp) are not allowed, they purposely made the laws restrictive.
 I'm not trying to prove you wrong, just dont want the wrong information being spread.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:18 AM »
No Chumming!!! and only one hook unless you are fishing for smelts!!!!

Offline Fishn'Rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2016, 05:40 PM »
I received an email response from my local Warden about the Gulp use in All waters. Keep in mind this is the 3rd Warden I've dealt with about this. The first two had no issue with it and the third as you will see is rather non committal.  The crux of the issue lies in the definition in the rulebook.  If it is man made and contains no natural or organic matter...then it is OK in alo.  I have no idea where the biodegradable language comes from but it isn't in the 2016 rulebook so it's a moot point. There are no ingredients on a Gulp package and good luck getting them from Berkeley...
For some, alo will always mean spoons and spinners and nothing more, but like most things, technology makes old ideas obsolete.  Anyone old enough to remember the ruckus raised when it became legal to put splitshot on a fly leader??
There is nothing natural or organic about Gulp...its a man made formula...kinda like how Cheez Whiz looks, smells and tastes like cheese, but in reality contains 0 % actual cheese...totally man-made.
Here is the email:

Been off the last few – back today.

The explanation is somewhat confusing – refer to definition on page 12 of the 2016 law book.

In other words the artificial lure cannot be comprised of any live, dead or chemically preserved natural or organic bait or food.  This essentially means  the bait has to be totally man made {artificial} and cannot have any parts of the items listed.  NOTE:  you would have to look at the ingredients because I’m sure all the bait is different. 

I wish I had a YES or NO answer unfortunately I do not.

Take care,
Dave

Sent: Monday, February 08, 2016 9:32 AM
To:       ,Dave
Subject: ???

Dave,

Question.  Are the Gulp and Powerbait minnows / dough stuff legal in the ALO section of the Nezinscot?  I don’t see anything on the packaging that says its anything but laboratory produced.

Respectfully,

Rodney Robert

Until someone spells it out in black and white in the law book I see no reason not to use Gulp in AlO..

Offline Trout Hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2016, 07:33 PM »
Thanks rod. I'm still waiting for a call back from my local warden...  I guess I'll have to call Augusta again tomorrow. I really hate the "gray area" laws. It'd be my luck to run into Sgt. Hardass and try to use the old "I read it on the internet " defense...

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2016, 09:54 PM »
can the warden give you a ticket for scented plastics/biodegradable lures- yes. But will they-depends on the one you run into.
 Even if it's not updated in a long time, those FAQs are there as their last publicly made statement of their interpretation, so you make your own call. In the rules of some other states (i know doesn't apply here) things aren't so gray. they specifically say lures can't have any scent including salt, where I've read their wardens will even lick or chew on one of the plastics (unused ones I'd hope :P) if the bag isnt labeled.
 If you got a letter from an official, keep a copy on your phone/person and show it to the warden if questioned.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.