Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel

Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | KTP | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird | AcmeTackle
Sep 25, 2017, 09:04 PM
MyFishFinder.com
Just like iceshanty but warmer

Author Topic: Clothing: floating vs sinking--what are your thoughts?  (Read 4473 times)

darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular

Re: Clothing: floating vs sinking--what are your thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: Jun 20, 2016, 08:21 AM »
Not through the ice, but went overboard from a boat in late fall at night!
I was wearing a heavy jacket and under it a wool sweater and a poly top, lined insulated jeans, and hunting boots.
I went in backwards, didn't know which way was up or down, made a few strokes and popped up by the boat which I immediately grabbed on to.
Apparently the jacket and pants had enough air trapped in them to float me for a limited time, but I sure wouldn't want to rely on it once it got waterlogged!
I now have a Striker hardwater jacket that I will be wearing, still won't replace a life vest, but the added security is a big plus.

Fr33Th1nk3r

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #21 on: Sep 14, 2016, 04:54 PM »

i think any one who hasn't fallen in will be shocked at how fast we fall. there is no time at all to think while it's happening. you might think, well i can just spread my feet apart to slow down the decent in water or just pull my arms apart to stop the fall when my arms hit the ice.
it takes a second to disappear.

I had a similar experience.

At the beginning of smelt season last December,  I was fishing on the river instead of the other shanty town across the bay in the wharf. Well nature called,  so I walked out towards the bank about 30 yards away from the crowd. How stupid was I. About 2 meters from where I was going to go by the dock by these giant metal erosion panels and half my body just went through the ice before I had time to blink. t just so happens I fell backward and not forward, but I was still a whole leg and half a hip in the water with my other knee by my head. I was very very lucky.
Bear in mind its really deep 15ft+ or more depending on the tide and there's a large saltwater bay 1 klick from where I was. I The tides are powerful and the ice nearest the banks and objects is very weak even if it did freeze 24 inches.

Guys, if you have to piss, do it in a spare hole in your shanty, do it outside your shanty, or go in a 3 liter bottle unless you want to get washed out to sea.
A bad day fishing beats a good day working.

Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic

« Reply #22 on: Sep 14, 2016, 05:17 PM »
I was trained in the fire service to deal with being submerged in water with my fire gear.  We were taught to tuck our knees into our chest to create an air bubble to help remain buoyant.  This does help but also keep in mind that there is a team of firefighters standing by (a R.I.T. - Rapid Intervention Team) ready to go help if something goes wrong along with all the other Firefighters working at the incident so our time in the water will be limited.  When it comes to being submerged in water while ice fishing, you are going into water that's near freezing so you have the shock of the cold water hitting you.  One thing that happens as a result of the cold water hitting you is you involuntarily take in a deep breath which is not a major concern for Firefighters in a structure fire because we have air packs on and the water we're using will be warmer because of the fire.  Another thing to keep in mind is both turn out gear and heavy winter clothes will absorb water which will add weight along with trapping water inside.  The rate the water is absorbed depends on the material and even if it's at a slow rate at least a little water will still be trapped inside the clothing.  Until last year I never had a float suit and didn't give it much thought.  Last year I found a good deal on a Striker suit at Fish307.com and made the investment and I'm happy I did for the added peace of mind.  The thing to remember is no suit can replace being smart and not pushing your luck on unsafe ice, sure it gives you added protection but safety starts with not pushing your luck or doing stupid things.

filetandrelease

• Team IceShantyholic

« Reply #23 on: Oct 07, 2016, 06:38 PM »
Thanks Chris that's so true
 Other factors to figure in , age- health and time spent in ice water , , my bud who is a rep for striker talked me into a suit , I spend a lot of time fishing by myself as I'm retired and most all my buds are still working and 1 of our lakes has many gas holes
And a spud never hurts to carry along

elk hunter

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2017, 12:54 PM »
Striker suite is a piece of mind for me, fortunately I have never been it the position of an accident but I believe it is going to help. 
If the elk aren't bugling.    I am fishing

Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Personal Text
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:47 PM »
These videos will show you exactly what to expect:

This video will explain the shock and panic when you first go through the ice and what to do to overcome it and get out of the water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gOW8ZaYqHA

This video will show you the difference between a floating suit and non floating clothing and how the latter absorbs water and pulls you down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAwzPgRYOI

If you'll watch and listen to these videos carefully, you'll see why floatation is important when out on the ice.

This series of safety vids should be a sticky - that Winnepeg Doc was awesome to watch - scary but awesome to learn from.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird AcmeTackle
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved