The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Why leave fish on ice?  (Read 7085 times)

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Why leave fish on ice?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2016, 05:21 PM »
this gets brought up so much .... people if you are so concerned with the fish on the ice call the wardens... they can then explain why some fish are okay to kill and why others have limits.

Offline Slammin_Brookies!!

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Speed an Accuracy" Airborne all the Way 82nd!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2016, 05:44 PM »
Yellow Perch and Pickerel I will leave next to the hole i caught them in. If its a high traffic area I stuff them back down the hole at end of day when i pick up. If its a pond without trout i release all fish safely back swimming.
"Go Big or Go Home"

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2016, 06:18 PM »
Here's the deal. People that leave ANYTHING on the ice are SLOBS. I don't care what the "DNR" say or "wants" or what the local climate bears. Anything other than snow or ice on the lake is littering and slob fishing.

If you have an issue with a species of "invasive" fish, the statement you are making by leaving the mess on the ice is that you (and I by association) are dis-respective of the resource. Period.

If you believe that leaving the mess impresses everyone with your conservation mindedness, you are wrong. The general public sees it quite differently.

Ooooo.  ::)I just realized I'm posting on the Maine board........ Ooooo. Too bad.  >:D

Now you made me do it: You guys are such fish snobs you can't see the lake for the icehole. Oh, I know the ack-ack guns are gonna light up for this but you know what? I really don't care. Sometimes someone has to say "The Emperor has no clothes".  And as far as I'm concerned you guys are running down the street naked.

Get a grip, get some perspective and quit being so self-serving.

NOW, I feel better.

No wait, one more thing. I believe trout are VASTLY OVERRATED  as a sport and food fish.

Yeah, OK. Now I'm done. Have a nice day Mainers.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 06, 2016, 06:47 PM »
this gets brought up so much .... people if you are so concerned with the fish on the ice call the wardens... they can then explain why some fish are okay to kill and why others have limits.

It would be wise to check the regs beforehand to see that you are not breaking the law.  Would be breaking littering laws as well?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2016, 06:49 PM »
Here's the deal. People that leave ANYTHING on the ice are SLOBS. I don't care what the "DNR" say or "wants" or what the local climate bears. Anything other than snow or ice on the lake is littering and slob fishing.

If you have an issue with a species of "invasive" fish, the statement you are making by leaving the mess on the ice is that you (and I by association) are dis-respective of the resource. Period.

If you believe that leaving the mess impresses everyone with your conservation mindedness, you are wrong. The general public sees it quite differently.

Ooooo.  ::)I just realized I'm posting on the Maine board........ Ooooo. Too bad.  >:D

Now you made me do it: You guys are such fish snobs you can't see the lake for the icehole. Oh, I know the ack-ack guns are gonna light up for this but you know what? I really don't care. Sometimes someone has to say "The Emperor has no clothes".  And as far as I'm concerned you guys are running down the street naked.

NOW, I feel better.

No wait, one more thing. I believe trout are VASTLY OVERRATED  as a sport and food fish.

:clap: :clap: :flex:

Really though. If it's not mandated by the state, it's not conservation. They know what they're doing. Everything is balanced. You're ruining your own fishing. And besides that, it's basic sportsmanship ethics. Respect the species. You want less dink yellow perch you NEED predators. Big trout eat them. Pike/pickerel/bass etc eat them.

Brooke trout are tasty. Lakers are fun. Browns and rainbows...eh.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline whitefishlover

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:22 PM »
Another good topic and extremely sensitive to ones opinions.  I look at it this way.  To me it depends on the body of water and the species of fish.  Let me share this.  While fishing Moosehead several years ago, we caught over 70 togue in 2 days between 3 of us.  Only 1 was over 17", We kept 4 or 5 to make a togue nugget appetizer before dinner one night, but the rest were thrown back.  On Sunday we got checked by the biologist and told him our exact catch so on and so forth......He literally begged us to not throw ANY back.  (At time it was unlimited togue)  He said if you do not keep them, just throw them on the ice.  Hence the Ricky Craven Derby is used as an attempt at control.  I do not keep anything that I will not eat, and I just plain do not target any "warm water" species other than white perch, but sometimes for the sake of the fishery, harvesting is necessary.  My opinion for this topic and many of the others that I have read on here as of late is......IF IT IS NOT AGAINST THE LAW IT IS THE DISCRETION OF THE ANGLER TO DO WHAT THEY CHOOSE!!  Whether it is catch and release, keeping fish, throwing them on the ice, spot burning, pictures, advice, blah, blah, blah.   
"A bad day of fishin' is much  better than a good day of work" :)

Offline Keptafew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:33 PM »
IF IT IS NOT AGAINST THE LAW IT IS THE DISCRETION OF THE ANGLER TO DO WHAT THEY CHOOSE!!  Whether it is catch and release, keeping fish, throwing them on the ice, spot burning, pictures, advice, blah, blah, blah.   

Totally agree
A man should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing

Offline Kevin in maine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 07, 2016, 05:17 AM »

Get a grip, get some perspective and quit being so self-serving

I think you would do well to take your own advice! Have a nice day FLATLANDER!

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 07, 2016, 05:31 AM »

NOW, I feel better.

Nicely said.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 07, 2016, 06:32 AM »
Why not gut shoot a fawn and leave it on the ice for the coyotes?

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 07, 2016, 07:51 AM »
Cap, That would be poaching, deer are not in season. Did you mean to post on the Hunting forum?

I don't leave anything on the ice that isn't bio degradable.Slime darts are not trash , there eagle food.

Offline FishHunter04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 07, 2016, 09:14 AM »
In places like Sabbattus, high mercury content in fish  they are not recommended for human consumption How many fish have to be removed from the lake to make them healthy to eat??????

A lot  :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
One Does Not Simply Leave After Saying,"Last Cast."

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 07, 2016, 09:18 AM »
Cap, That would be poaching, deer are not in season. Did you mean to post on the Hunting forum?

I don't leave anything on the ice that isn't bio degradable.Slime darts are not trash , there eagle food.
when i get into a lot of pics while white perch fishing, i freeze them and bring them to a elderly low income housing complex. those old folks don't care what kind of fish they are and they appreciate them. i just got a recipe for homemade fish meal for the garden, so I'm going to freeze up a crapload of y. perch and make fish meal for myself and to sell. at the same time ill be helping the fishery by removing some of the competition w/ the smelts and game species. a win /win situation and no mess left on the ice!

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 07, 2016, 12:10 PM »
Out of curiosity, what is wrong w/ the yellows and why are whites so beloved?

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 07, 2016, 12:14 PM »
Most people here in Maine don't want to eat yellow perch mostly because they are usually full of those yellow grubs. Though they are safe when cooked, it's just unappealing. Besides that, we seem to love our cold water fish hehe.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 07, 2016, 12:39 PM »
when i get into a lot of pics while white perch fishing, i freeze them and bring them to a elderly low income housing complex. those old folks don't care what kind of fish they are and they appreciate them. i just got a recipe for homemade fish meal for the garden, so I'm going to freeze up a crapload of y. perch and make fish meal for myself and to sell. at the same time ill be helping the fishery by removing some of the competition w/ the smelts and game species. a win /win situation and no mess left on the ice!
This is the best post on here. Take note
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 07, 2016, 12:58 PM »
Poor eagles in New York  ,They must have a hard time getting through the winter!!!!!

Offline NickM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 07, 2016, 05:34 PM »
The yellows are grubby and often very stunted. You'd need to catch a couple dozen to have any amount of meat on your plate.

I'm not picky. I actually like pickerel, horned pout, eel. The yellow perch around here are not much worth eating. I have heard about people making fish cakes out of them by boiling and processing the fillets. That would take care of the grubs. I'd eat it, but you'd have to catch a lot of them to make the effort worth while.

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 08, 2016, 02:35 AM »
I feel that if DIF&W have no size or bag limit on a certain fish species in a certain body of water they want to manage to eradicate or control that species for various reasons. If I don't eat them, I won't take it home to stink my trash 'til garbage day. By culling a few, intentionally or not, I feel I'm aiding in the management of our fishery. You should be thanking us.
This is a classic case of someone coming to MAINE cause he liked it so much... the first thing he wanted to do when he got here was change things.
Your welcome.

Not just visiting and trying to change things!
I happen to be a property owner,and have had family property in Maine for years!
Also not trying to change things,just asking why some guys are slobs and don't seem to care about the image that people get of all of us because of a few !
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline lobsterman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • quit crying and start fishing.
« Reply #49 on: Feb 08, 2016, 05:37 AM »
Not sure its good for our sport to leave fish laying on the ice ...between ice skaters , cross county skiers ,dog walkers etc .Think it sends a bad message ...I know I don't want to be the guy having a "conversation" with a passerby that sees another's  pile of fish on the ice ...if you insist on harvesting fish for unwanted consumption ...do so if you must ..but please dispose of it off the ice .Don't forget some anglers target those "junk" fish too .Be a  conscientious  sportsman .
    how about you guys that are not from Maine  keep your out of state opinions to your site.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:29 AM »
    how about you guys that are not from Maine  keep your out of state opinions to your site.

Nah

Offline Ericbres

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:46 AM »
*** CROP ***
 We kill pikes because that's what fish and game wants us to do, they are an invasive species here. I know they are game fish to some people, but I won't be releasing any alive.
*** CROP ***

Fish and Game has specifically told fisherman in Maine to leave pike laying on the ice? And/or kill what you catch?
Can you clarify for me?
Is that state-wide? Specific bodies of water? Certain times of year? Did you hear a warden say it specifically/is it in print somewhere? Or did someones brothers, uncles, barber tell him they heard Warden Jones mention it while sitting at Smitty's Pub last Sunday? (slight humor ... couldn't resist)

I am asking because, living on the border, I fish Maine frequently ... specifically targeting pike on one trip/tourney (which has been getting more and more slow every year) and would just as well move to another location if the trend of slow pike fishing is going to continue - intentionally - by the direction of Fish and Wildlife.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:08 AM »
in the law book they go over what a pike is, what a musky is, what a pickeral is, and then they go on to say that if pike or musky are caught anglers are encouraged not to release them.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:20 AM »
http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/species/management_plans/index.htm

You can read maine's goals for every species. (If you can read ::) ) I think that's pretty cool. Maine encourages the harvest of pike through no limits of any sort, and supports harvesting of fish.

Offline spinzer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:26 AM »
Most everything I catch goes back down the hole with a few exceptions of perch and pickerel I will throw a few of those to the eagles that are looming around waiting for a snack.

Offline Ericbres

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:37 AM »
http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/species/management_plans/index.htm

You can read maine's goals for every species. (If you can read ::) ) I think that's pretty cool. Maine encourages the harvest of pike through no limits of any sort, and supports harvesting of fish.

Thanks for the link, it was great reading and answered my questions perfectly.

*Editted ...  ::)

Offline An-Dy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 08, 2016, 11:34 AM »
in the law book they go over what a pike is, what a musky is, what a pickeral is, and then they go on to say that if pike or musky are caught anglers are encouraged not to release them.

Encouraged, but not against the law to release them. But if they're caught in a pike fishery, such as sabattus or the belgrade lakes, whats the point in that? I understand not releasing them if you catch them in a trout fishery, but why not release them in ponds that have no chance of ever returning to a trout fishery and will most likely always be a pike fishery. Why not leave them for people to catch in the future?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 08, 2016, 12:22 PM »
One day on the ice on Sabbatus I was approached by a warden (cant remember his name but i have a hard time with names) was talking about this and that and he checked my license.  He told me about how they "encourage" keeping the small pike in sabattus.  They realize that lake will never go back to not having pike and thus for the sake of creating "bigger and more healthy pike" the biologists and wardens alike feel that taking the small pike out will create more feeding opportunity for the remaining pike and thus increase the size.  Also the forage species (alewives for sabattus ) were being decimated so it was of the interest of the pike and the forage to throw small pike on the ice.

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Feb 08, 2016, 03:22 PM »

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 08, 2016, 03:42 PM »
Eagles,Crows,Ravens really depend on these for feed on days like these its a matter of life or death!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.