The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Striker Floating Suits  (Read 4137 times)

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
Re: Striker Floating Suits
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:29 PM »
Bummer. They just called to cancel my order because they're out of 2XL
2XL might be a bit big on you. I'm 6'1"ish (shrinking lol) and about 235-240ish and the XL fits me great with a hooded sweatshirt and T-shirt. The bibs also fit great, only need long john (could go in boxers lol) I had a friend try on my XL jacket , Wally (bigbellybilly) . He also liked the XL, not sure his dimensions though bahaha.

Offline Dschofield91

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have an Ice day!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:31 PM »
2XL might be a bit big on you. I'm 6'1"ish (shrinking lol) and about 235-240ish and the XL fits me great with a hooded sweatshirt and T-shirt. The bibs also fit great, only need long john (could go in boxers lol) I had a friend try on my XL jacket , Wally (bigbellybilly) . He also liked the XL, not sure his dimensions though bahaha.
I went by the size chart. I measured 49"

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:49 PM »
I went by the size chart. I measured 49"
its tough buying clothing or boots without trying them on first. I got lucky with the suit, never lucky with boots though lol

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Feb 06, 2016, 09:40 PM »
Got the predator bibs and jacket and your right capt I dont regret it.  Light and warm. 

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Feb 07, 2016, 12:13 PM »
Cool video of it in action here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL40cBUrH4s
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline ctownfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 07, 2016, 01:05 PM »
Guys in case you wonder if they work. Live action video from Vermont Stryker Hardwater bibs.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 07, 2016, 02:00 PM »
3 seasons on Climate bibs-- only complaints are tiny thigh pockets and towel patches that unbutton far too easy. Should be velcro'ed. Peace of mind & warmth are unmatched...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Bigbellybilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bigbellybilly
« Reply #37 on: Feb 07, 2016, 03:05 PM »
Thanks keith for letting me try your coat I measure for large just under xl tried keiths xl fit great comfort I am 6 feet 185  just wish I could wear it more got busy at work no weekends right now
Bigbelly

Offline ice warrior

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 07, 2016, 05:07 PM »
artic armors rule @)

Offline ice warrior

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 07, 2016, 05:10 PM »
just kidding i got the camo ones so i could were them bow hunting to @)

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 08, 2016, 07:30 AM »
I don't see the Guardian jacket...
Cheers,

Pete

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Feb 08, 2016, 07:42 AM »
Seems like Fish307 stock is getting depleted pretty quick

https://www.reedssports.com/ice-fishing-apparel-footwear/browse/brand/striker
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Feb 08, 2016, 07:44 AM »
I don't see the Guardian jacket...

It looks like they have been updating the site as things sell out. They must have sold out of them.

Glens has them on sale too for $99

http://www.glensoutdoors.com/striker-ice-guardian-men-s-jacket.html

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Feb 08, 2016, 07:58 AM »
So first weekend of use......good suit (predator).  Glad I got it onsale though as it shows signs of being put together offshore...some hanging threads here and there that I cleaned up with a lighter.  Otherwise very nice, impressed with how light the stuff is.

I tried the climate bibs and didnt like the liner...

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Feb 08, 2016, 08:03 AM »
So first weekend of use......good suit (predator).  Glad I got it onsale though as it shows signs of being put together offshore...some hanging threads here and there that I cleaned up with a lighter.  Otherwise very nice, impressed with how light the stuff is.

I tried the climate bibs and didnt like the liner...

Did you check out the guardians? It says they got 50g of insulation. Is that the inherent insulation of the shell, or is there a thin liner?

My Hardwater coat is is the first gen that came with 175g insulation, it is toasty. I may have the wifey remove it and add zippers so i can take it out when not needed.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #45 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:04 AM »
I did not.  Saw and tried in the predators...liked them and bought set.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:33 AM »
I did not.  Saw and tried in the predators...liked them and bought set.

Plus the name is cool.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #47 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:05 AM »
Ok - So they didn't have any Large sets when I checked so I am still looking for a Striker suit. Does anyone see any sales ? I was also going to start a Poll to see which suit is most suited for Southern New England or just MA but I don't see that option. I cant deicide if I want the Predator or the Hardwater and it seems like the biggest difference is that the hardwater is warmer. I don't really like how the Climate looks but that's just looks.  As mentioned before, I drill and jig a lot so something flexible would be better and I am sure both are warm. Hard to make a decision when you cant actually try them on. Thanks in advance!
Just add water.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:18 AM »
The Shell on the Hardwater is also tougher being 600D Endura vs 330 Tussor.

I would go with the Guardian Jacket and Hardwater Bibs.

Dick sporting goods has both on sale for 20% off. You have to add it to the cart to see the sale price

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=78577076
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=78578666

Glens has the jacket too in red for 99$
http://www.glensoutdoors.com/striker-ice-guardian-men-s-jacket.html

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #49 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:33 AM »
Thanks for the links BaitBucket!

Any reason you recommend the guardian jacket over the Hardwater?
Just add water.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #50 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:41 AM »
I can honestly say the hardwater is VERY warm but plenty flexible. To counter the extra warmth, I wear less layers under the coat. If it gets too warm, I take the coat off and throw on a decent zip up sweatshirt. If it gets too cold, I just throw my coat back on. Personally I prefer the warmest clothing, but I'm out in ALL conditions from dark to dark. Finding someone that already owns the gear and getting to try on the coat and or the bibs will help greatly. I've had 3 guys try my coat this year, definitely helped them with size choice etc.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:52 AM »
Thanks for the links BaitBucket!

Any reason you recommend the guardian jacket over the Hardwater?

Similar to what Millbilly said. I have he Hardwater coat and it gets toasty. If you're not wearing it because of this, its useless if u ever go thru, which is why we bought them. Im probably 50/50 wearing this coat on the ice. With the Guardian you get the floating protection and you can just wear another layer on colder days. If you get hot you can pull layer off and put the coat back on. The coat materail isnt as important as the bibs. You're legs take more of a beating on the ice than your upper half.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #52 on: Feb 09, 2016, 12:05 PM »
Similar to what Millbilly said. I have he Hardwater coat and it gets toasty. If you're not wearing it because of this, its useless if u ever go thru, which is why we bought them. Im probably 50/50 wearing this coat on the ice. With the Guardian you get the floating protection and you can just wear another layer on colder days. If you get hot you can pull layer off and put the coat back on. The coat materail isnt as important as the bibs. You're legs take more of a beating on the ice than your upper half.
That is one thing I think about Will, if I'm not wearing the coat, the floatation part isn't gonna work as well as a suit. I usually do put the coat back on when walking back to shore, that's usually where people fall through, weak edges. That's not always true but it's what I see and hear about most.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Feb 09, 2016, 12:11 PM »
For me and the amount i move around, almost every step is a new area. Ill sometimes put the coat on, punch 10 holes, walk back to my flip and take the coat off and jig each hole till i get to the last one, and repeat. The amount of moving around I do also contributes to the warmth of this jacket. If you dont move around alot it may be perfect.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #54 on: Feb 09, 2016, 12:16 PM »
For me and the amount i move around, almost every step is a new area. Ill sometimes put the coat on, punch 10 holes, walk back to my flip and take the coat off and jig each hole till i get to the last one, and repeat. The amount of moving around I do also contributes to the warmth of this jacket. If you dont move around alot it may be perfect.
That's a good idea! 

Offline otzi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Feb 09, 2016, 02:45 PM »
Couldn't resist this deal. Climate jacket and bibs, just showed up. Must say if I had had a chance to compare I think I would have preferred the xl over the size large that I purchased. That being said I could remove liner jacket for a less snug feel. Large bibs seem perfect. Looks like this weekend they'll be put to the test based on predicted temperatures. Will they should give you a little kick back for helping to get these things moved out the door.
Suit up and show up!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #56 on: Feb 09, 2016, 03:17 PM »
I am still thinking Hardwater for both. The bibs are better as far as strength and they are a bit warmer. I normally wear 1 base layer and then sweat pants so I am thinking to just get rid of the base layer and the warm bibs should be great. As far as the Hardwater jacket, I hardly ever wear a jacket now except when its brutally cold or windy and this is what I would want it for. As far as flotation, I think bibs alone are better than nothing at all like I am wearing now. I do appreciate everyone's input and I am looking forward to my first pair of strikers.
Just add water.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Feb 09, 2016, 04:06 PM »
I am still thinking Hardwater for both. The bibs are better as far as strength and they are a bit warmer. I normally wear 1 base layer and then sweat pants so I am thinking to just get rid of the base layer and the warm bibs should be great. As far as the Hardwater jacket, I hardly ever wear a jacket now except when its brutally cold or windy and this is what I would want it for. As far as flotation, I think bibs alone are better than nothing at all like I am wearing now. I do appreciate everyone's input and I am looking forward to my first pair of strikers.

Sounds like we are in the same boat then my friend. Good luck with your purchase.

Couldn't resist this deal. Climate jacket and bibs, just showed up. Must say if I had had a chance to compare I think I would have preferred the xl over the size large that I purchased. That being said I could remove liner jacket for a less snug feel. Large bibs seem perfect. Looks like this weekend they'll be put to the test based on predicted temperatures. Will they should give you a little kick back for helping to get these things moved out the door.

Eddy, you wont need nearly as many layers with this coat. I typically just wear an under armor shirt and a light poly shirt over that. The poly shirt isnt needed. I stay away form hoodies. Most of them are mostly cotton, which has a terrible thermal value and are very bulky. I only use a hoodie on warmer days where i know i wont use the coat but want a hood for the wind.

PS...That removable liner is awesome. Grats on your purchase.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #58 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:16 AM »
Both Hardwater Jacket and Bibs have been ordered. And boy do I give props to STRIKER customer service for getting them to me here asap before the weekend!!!!! Now, to test them this weekend. I should have them tomorrow.
Just add water.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:20 AM »
Very cool (or warm)!  Will you be at the cove gathering? Its going to be a sea of black and grey suits out there lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.