The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Targeting trout?  (Read 1143 times)

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
Targeting trout?
« on: Feb 04, 2016, 11:11 PM »
When I was younger I recall fishing deep for bows and browns. After recently getting back into ice fishing I have been reading about setting tip ups just under the ice. Thoughts?

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Targeting trout?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2016, 01:24 AM »
Find the bait and fish where the bait is... If smelt are 10' down set your tip ups there, if they're 50' down set your tip ups there. Big fish eat little fish... In shallow sometimes fishing crawlers or eggs just under the ice can produce too  @)
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline BomoBrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2016, 05:31 AM »
Most of my browns have been off of the bottom at depths ranging from 15 feet to 50.  That being said I have had one on the line at same time a neighbor had one just under the ice. I think they Cruise in schools at multiple depths. 

I always worry that the trout will cruise above my bait unable to see it but still my bottom lines get hit the most.

I also seem to have the best luck with fat heads when I do not have smelt on hand.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2016, 09:31 AM »
I have no clue what depth we catch our browns at because I always get them right under the ice.  I do know lots of them come in areas I can see the bottom, so say 12ft or less depth.

Offline vermont mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2016, 10:19 AM »
Stagger the baits at different depths, once you find them switch at that depth.
I've had best luck at 12-20 FOW with bait suspended at 2-4' under the ice.
But I have also caught them in 2-3 FOW just under the ice while fishing for rainbows.
And also caught them just off the bottom fishing for walleyes.
But most common suspended 2-4' under the ice.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2016, 03:40 PM »
When I was younger I recall fishing deep for bows and browns. After recently getting back into ice fishing I have been reading about setting tip ups just under the ice. Thoughts?

We always used to get them deeper down, too. I was pretty surprised when I saw people getting them right under the ice. I think Tench has it right: follow the bait, if they're eating smelt then they won't be far from where the smelt are.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2016, 05:47 PM »
i fish bows and browns along shore lines in shallow water with crawlers when we have safe ice. not going to happen this year.

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2016, 05:34 PM »
it depends what lake you fish. some lakes they are on the bottom some just under the ice and some are mid depth

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:13 PM »
Thanks for the tips everyone, I appreciate it ;D

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2016, 08:14 PM »
Find the bait and fish where the bait is... If smelt are 10' down set your tip ups there, if they're 50' down set your tip ups there. Big fish eat little fish... In shallow sometimes fishing crawlers or eggs just under the ice can produce too  @)
Tench, are you talking about using salmon eggs? Has anyone ever tried to fish using perch egg sacks?

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2016, 04:32 PM »
I tried them (perch eggs) when I was a kid. The fish like them, but they come apart with every nibble, so you end up baiting the hook a lot and feeding the fish at the same time.  ;D

my son likes to use power bait eggs through the ice.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2016, 08:04 PM »
Thanks again for the replies everyone, I played around with tip ups at different depths and caught this little guy just under the ice on a nightcrawler. No lunker but it sure felt pretty good to bring a trout thru the ice again ;D It was a slow day but I tried out my flasher for the first time and caught a few perch as well....safe to say I'm 'hooked' again :tipup:

screen shot on pc

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:01 AM »
Thanks again for the replies everyone, I played around with tip ups at different depths and caught this little guy just under the ice on a nightcrawler. No lunker but it sure felt pretty good to bring a trout thru the ice again ;D It was a slow day but I tried out my flasher for the first time and caught a few perch as well....safe to say I'm 'hooked' again :tipup:

screen shot on pc

Nice work.  Forums can be such a snakepit sometimes, but when people help other people, it sure makes it all worth it. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.