The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: HT ice blue rods?  (Read 5886 times)

Offline jchab412

• IceShanty Rookie
HT ice blue rods?
« on: Feb 04, 2016, 05:38 PM »
Im sure some of you guys have used or still use these rods. Was looking at purchasing a couple since they are such a good price. They seem to get pretty good reviews, just wondering if anybody had any issues with them. Oh and what kind of reel do you use?

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: HT ice blue rods?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2016, 07:18 AM »
Have a bunch. Best deal in the industry. Are they the best out there nope but they are definitely good rods at great price. I even have a few of the 48" rods for open water jigging trout and panfish. Have caught steelhead up to 12lbs and stocked trout up to 9lbs on those rods.

I have a few inline reels and Shimano siennas in the  smallest size (50 I believe) on them. The siennas are great reels for the price. Smooth drag on a budget reel for sure

Offline jchab412

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2016, 07:57 AM »
Thanks deleware, yea they seem like a great deal l. Certainly not the best rod im sure but i cant bring myself to spend 50$ or more on an ice rod. Maybe one day but not anytime soon haha. Probably grab a couple of the 30 inch for hole hopping and a 24 inch for the shelter

Offline Brianm14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2016, 08:00 AM »
the Schooley Arctic Blue are about the same rod with same price. i have a few of them and they are awesome!.. no need so spend the extra money!..Also the a couple sienna 500 reels.. awesome reel for the money!

Offline DUGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2016, 10:00 AM »
Absolutely love this rod. Have tried many others and told my wife to buy me more for Xmas. I'm sure there is better quality when u hit the 100 dollar mark. But for the abuse they get in the sled and being tossed around, I'll stick to the HT. Great deal...
mike

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2016, 02:54 PM »
The only complaints I have (other than losing too many down the holes over the years) is the tips on the UL rods don't take a whole lot of abuse but the "higher end" UL's I have are the same story. I've yet to ever have 1 fail while actively fishing it but have snapped the tips on several from getting banged around in my sled, truck bed, ect
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2016, 03:04 PM »
Only ever had one tip break and if I remember correctly it was due to a tailgate smash which no rod would survive.

Did have a few sit weird in the sled all summer and now the guides twist towards the top, doesn't bother anything but some one that is anal I could see it bugging with the guides not perfectly inline. The small guides also freeze up pretty fast. Couple minor issues but still can't beat them for the price. Definitely ht's best product

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2016, 06:46 PM »
My personal opinion is that they are some of the best rods available at any price. OK, I'll rephrase that; For the way I fish, they are the best I have found. I use the 24" UL models with 2lb suffix line on modified schooley reels, fishing 3-4mm tungstens with maki plastics for panfish - And for that style of fishing, for me, they are as sweet as it gets.......
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2016, 06:51 PM »
I fish with many higher end combos, but you can't beat a ten dollar noodle rod for Perch.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2016, 07:12 PM »
I have 2 ice ugly sticks  with spring bobbers on both of them. They are rugged & work just fine for me  :tipup:

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2016, 08:14 PM »
Word of advice. Don't buy the HT ice blue in a combo. The reel is junks. Drag is not smooth at all. I thought I would take a chance since I could get it for $12.50. I ended up buying 2 this year. A 36" for hole hoping and an 18" for sight fishing. Put the Seinna 500 on the 36" rod and a small Tight Line Reel on the 18" rod. Haven't used the short rod yet but so far like the 36" rod.

Offline jchab412

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2016, 08:04 AM »
Thanks for all the input fellas!!, i ended up ordering the 30 inch ul, wanted a 24 inch as well but they were back ordered so ill have to wait on that

Offline Trapper-Randy74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2016, 12:23 PM »
I have one of the mentioned above ice blue combo's. 30" medium action and have had no problems at all. Will buy another!!!

T-R

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2016, 03:03 PM »
We have two 18", two 24", one 30" and a 36" Ice Blues rods.  They are our favorite ice rods.  For quality and price, they are a winner!
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2016, 03:16 PM »
they are pretty good rods for sure.  i have or did have a 36 incher and a buddy borrowed it last year and returned it a few inches shorter.  still works as my son loves it.  ordered another 36 incher as i  love to fish outside most of the time and love the action.  gonna prob get a few more of the 24 inchers for in the shanty when really cold and windy.

Offline panfishnut51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2016, 03:42 PM »
I have 2 of the ht ice blue bigeye series........39 inch ul n the 42 inch light in 2 seasons so far never had ice clog up the eyes.....will replace my other rods I have with them

Offline panfishnut51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:24 AM »
ooops sorry their not the ice blue rods their polar pro big eye series

Offline Rodsnapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2016, 04:58 PM »
Nice rod.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:10 PM »
Im sure some of you guys have used or still use these rods. Was looking at purchasing a couple since they are such a good price. They seem to get pretty good reviews, just wondering if anybody had any issues with them. Oh and what kind of reel do you use?
where are they on sale? the dommmmmmmmmmminator has one i like the sensitive tip thanks in advance
GOD BLESS
mo and dom
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2016, 07:11 AM »
fishusa (one of our sponsors) has them. They are very inexpensive so you'll pay less than $10 for a rod. in fact the 26" ultra light pro is on sale for $8.96 and the super flex's are about the same price.

Offline Fishsleeprepeat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2016, 08:55 PM »
The 24" I'll was my favorite rod. I broke the tip setting the hook inside a clam shelter. I wasn't used to the shorter ceiling height. It was definitely not the rods fault. I'll be getting a new 1 very soon. Just be careful how you leave it in the off season. It will stay permanently bent if you leave it that way for an extended period.

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2016, 10:04 PM »
Ice blues rod is among my favorite pan fish rod.  No need for a spring bobber with it.  Can feel a light hit clean back into the butt.  It can handle 20" bass, and big channel cats.  Plus it's a very affordable rod compared to others.  I've had mine for quite a few years now, and it's about time to retire her as she's starting to get a permanent bend from hooking so many fish lol. 

Offline StoneCat24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2016, 12:54 PM »
Looking for a new jigging rod I'm newer to ice fishing I'm using a Shakespeare gx2 right now.seems to do the trick for now.hoping to upgrade and have a few so no wasting time tying lines w lure change.any info would help ty
What are you going to do,just stand there and worry about it? IF that's the card you're dealt that's the card you play.Just pick up the slack and keep on going.

Offline jchab412

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2016, 01:31 PM »
I picked up one of the ht ice blue rods stonecat, and i must say for the price, i really like it. The eyes werent exactly perfectly lined up but that doesn't bother me too much and it seems like a rod that can take some abuse. 8$, cant beat that price. Although I'll probably buy a tickle stick for next season because I like having higher end stuff as well

Offline StoneCat24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2016, 02:38 PM »
I think I paid 22 or so for that Shakespeare two yrs ago. I need to get a combo setup just for ice.. I've been using my trout reels on my ice fishing rods
What are you going to do,just stand there and worry about it? IF that's the card you're dealt that's the card you play.Just pick up the slack and keep on going.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2016, 02:42 PM »
HT ice blue rods are what converted me from a bobber/tipup guy to a jigger.   Still have my first ice blue, its 20 years old now.   Still catches plenty of big panfish every single winter.

I still can't believe the money people spend on ice gear for panfish now.    Pop gear, thats what I call it.   You can have your $80 reels and $70 dollar rods.   You will still get out fished by the old man with a wooden jig stick or punk with an ice blue.   That might be the best part about fishing, the fish don't give a flying F what you use and how much you spent.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.