Author Topic: Fish finder screen size?  (Read 2768 times)

Offline zuren

• IceShanty Rookie
Fish finder screen size?
« on: Feb 04, 2016, 03:43 PM »
I went to use my Eagle Cuda 242 portable fish finder and found that the screen was dead.  The unit powers on, buttons respond, but the screen is blank.  The battery is new and charged so I'm of the opinion that they screen/unit is dead.  I may open it up and see if there is anything obvious but my experience is that when LCD screens fail, it costs more to repair than to buy something different.  I have 2 transducers (one mounted in my kayak) so I'm scanning Ebay for units compatible with my current 'ducers.  The 242 has a smaller 4" screen.

I'm considering Eagle Cuda and compatible Lowrance units.  I'm heavily leaning toward the Lowrance X-4 Pro (4" screen) but there are 5" units that are compatible (e.g. Eagle Fishmark 320).  Do most guys stick to the compact, 4" units or is it nice to have a larger unit?  I figure a 5" unit probably eats more battery so that is something to consider.  I would use this as a portable unit for my kayak, canoe, ice fishing, and use it in a boat if/when I own one.  Here are the models that I know to work with my transducers:

4" compact units
Eagle Cuda 128
Eagle Cuda 128 P
Eagle Cuda 168
Eagle Cuda 168 EX
Eagle Cuda 242
Eagle Cuda 250 S/Map
Eagle Cuda 300
Eagle Cuda 350
Eagle FishEasy 240
Eagle FishEasy 245 DS
Eagle FishEasy 250 DS
Eagle FishEasy 320
Lowrance M56 S/MAP
Lowrance M68C S/MAP
Lowrance SeaFinder 245DS
Lowrance X47
Lowrance X-50 DS
Lowrance X67C

4.5-5" units
Lowrance X47EX
Lowrance X-86 DS
Lowrance X96
Eagle FishElite 500C
Eagle FishElite 502C iGPS
Eagle FishElite 640C
Eagle FishElite 642C iGPS
Eagle FishMark 320
Eagle FishMark 500C
Eagle FishMark 640C

Opinions on screen size and specific units to look for would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fish finder screen size?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2016, 05:19 PM »
Don't give up on fixing it.  I replaced the display on a laptop and it wasn't that much or too hard.  You just need to be able to find a replacement.  And it might just be the connector to the screen isn't making good contact.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2016, 11:37 AM »
I put a X96 in the for sale area that has graph and flasher

Offline fishwing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2016, 05:21 PM »
I have an Eagle Cuda 128 that I used to use for ice fishing, it was a great help for finding fish and seeing the depth of fish and brush. It was never effective at showing my jig. Stepping up to a Showdown and a Vexilar was a great improvement from there. My Eagle could be for sale. I now use a Lowrance Elite 7 as well and it can show a small jig well but not near another sonar. The interference rejection settings do almost nothing to help.

Offline zuren

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2016, 10:08 PM »
I'm bringing this topic back up as I'm now in a place to be more serious about obtaining a fish finder.  I missed out on an auction for a Lowrance M68C and one I was bidding one went higher than I'm willing to pay.

I think my focus now is a finder that has the ability to be a flasher and maybe forget having integrated GPS.  Are there many arguments for staying with a unit that has GPS?  My phone has GPS and I have a handheld unit so I'm feeling that it not very critical.  Plus, on a 4-5" screen, you are either in one mode or the other.  Uses are ice fishing and in my canoe or kayak on small local waters.

Thanks!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2016, 08:21 AM »
check the maps of a unit you might want to own to see if your small lakes are even in it or not. mine are not and so not worth owning an all in one with gps on screen. if i care to mark an area, i have my smart phone with gps, but i can always find my back because the lakes are so small.

screen size depends on how much graph info you want it to hold at any given time and how much more other information it can show along side the graph like marcum lx6/7/9 has for an example. these units show graph and flasher or graph and vertical displays with zoom in it's own dedicated chart/display. it can have up to four charts/displays at one time or all the way down to just one and has six to choose from and is designed for ice fishing first but can be used in open water with their high speed transducer sold separately. the mount it comes with can be used to hold it to your boat, it's aluminum.

sounds like their may be a funds issues being you mentioned an auction. that tells me you want a used unit and a deep discount. if so, these units do show up for sale used. they are a harder learning curve to get used to than say a three button vex so i think those for sale are because it's too much machine. on the other hand, it is much harder to out grow and offers so many tweaks and features.
because you mentioned screen size, i would presume you want a digital unit and you don't care about the other type, so you are versed in using digital units. this would be the choice i recommend for you. it also has 4 color palate choices including gray scale like their showdown has for color blind eyes and six color which is what i am used to coming from a humminbird ice-55 that also used 6 color.

new, you can get the 6 inch version (lx6s) for 550$ or so. their has been a 50$ price spike in these units over this summer.

as far as the display on your old unit goes, the back light burns out and is called a light engine. that's what lights up the pixels so you can see them. it may be a power source for it went bad or the light engine itself. check to see if every thing is tight that comes from the display to the board it runs to.
if your handy with meters you can measure the transistors if they are not SMD mounted, inspect capacitors and resistors and look for corrosion. if you want to learn electronics more, leave it plugged in for a final inspection and measure voltages feeding the display to make sure all of them have voltage and at least one should be a ground or no voltage. ground can be black in color. it's easy to discover what ground is because the ground circuit on the board is the largest in coverage on the copper side of the board and many of the components connect to it and you will see it soon after looking for it this way. also look for cold solder joints where the solder is not shiny and very dull in appearance. look for the lead to be only partially connected and maybe even loose.

if you can run it thru a search engine, you may find a typical problem that unit encounters and may be an easy fix or you might find out it's not worth the time of day to do any thing with it. you could call the manufacturer to see what they charge to get it back on it's feet and weigh your options after you have all the info you can find.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2016, 03:41 PM »
a black and white (greyscale actually) lcd like that doesn't need a backlight to present a visible picture

look here for a used unit that will work with your transducer http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Honestly, by the time you look around for something compatible with your transducer, buy it used, and hopefully get a working unit, you might be better off getting an x3 or x4 (or similar) and going to town. Why piss around with tracking down used items that may or may not work once they arrive at your doorstep?

There are several options out there from Lowrance, Humminbird, Marcum, Vexilar and so on that will be easier to use and perform better than those old greyscale cuda's did

Catchin' Fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.