The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tungsten jigs, any brand better than the other?  (Read 2369 times)

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
Tungsten jigs, any brand better than the other?
« on: Feb 04, 2016, 09:25 AM »
 ???Tungsten jigs and what you put on them? I had 3 in my box, red glitter, idk what brand they are...they certainly get you to the bottom fast!  I've been using the basic small fat head or some maggots, mostly crappie fishing with them...
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "the Green Hornet strikes again!!!"
Re: Tungsten jigs, any brand better than the other?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2016, 11:09 AM »
Check out catchemallcustomjigsan dtackle.com and Contrabandbaits.com

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2016, 12:24 PM »
Thanks man...I checked them out...I picked up two packs of the "kraken", a 1" soft plastic leggy creature, glow blue and chartreuse. The video sold me.

Offline pimple pounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2016, 12:53 PM »
I have been using some 4mm tungsten jigs from eBay. Got some last year and some 1inch plastics from eBay as well and have been doing pretty well with them. The few times I have been out this year a dark jig with either a red or black tail has produced the best.

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2016, 02:30 PM »
Essox the kraken is one of his hot new baits my go to is the waxytail and the fry like I said I have used nothing but plastics for at least three years and with the numerous styles contraband offers I have yet to not find something the fish want!!! Just have to be willing to experiment until you find what triggers them

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2016, 03:53 PM »
I've got all the brand names and eBay cheapo tungsten. Once I  awhile one of the cheap ones break a hook or eye but for the most part I only lose a few a year. I go with the basic gold, silver in painted ones any more after hundreds of fish on the painted ones and still was catching them after the paint chipped off. Seems like the what you put on the jig matters more then what the jig color is.

Been 100% plastic for a few years. Don't know if I catch any more fish as guys using live Bait but do think I catch bigger fish on average. They look more natural especially the nymph and worm pieces compared to wax worms or maggots that arnt naturally swimming around lakes under the ice

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2016, 04:21 PM »
The plastics are the way to catch bigger, but bait catches number for the most part.  Regarding tungsten jigs, Wolfe make a nice one, , I would stay away from the ones on ebay that are unpainted and $10 for so many.  I bought some and in one day I had 3 hooks break when trying to get them out of a gills mouth

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2016, 10:21 AM »
Thanks guys ;D. Last Saturday was the first time I used tungsten with a scented plastic, here's what happened..5 jigging rods in a row from left to right, jawjacker with a glow lead jig/Minnie, teardrop/Minnie, buckshot spoon/Minnie, glow cicada/Minnie, and finally, red tungsten/black scented plastic.  I watched 11 fish in a row, on the flasher, from the first bait near bottom, then to each glow/Minnie, until they got to the tungsten/plastic wich they nailed.  in the dark, bout 830p....never jigged anything, all dead stick, caught fish on Minnie's but way more on tungsten, two crappies, 12" and 13 3/4"...we will see tonight and tomorrow night.

Offline pimple pounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2016, 11:37 AM »
I agree the contraband blood worm has been good so far... A lot of options as far as color and shapes so switching up till you find the right setup has been critical. Nothing against live bait but it's rewarding to catch them on artificial only. And I still use live bait once in awhile.

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2016, 12:18 PM »
I think it makes it so you are confident, live or artificial...I know personally, if we wanted to go for crappie, and didn't have minnows, we probably aren't gonna go.

Offline JPascavage52

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2016, 12:47 PM »
VMCs with mustache worms, or clam plastics. Of course, I use a Marcum flasher, Strikemaster auger, Luhr Jensen jerkbaits, Terminator jigs, and many Rapala crankbaits throughout the year, so I may be biased to the Rapala brand  ;)
Pro staff for:

Liquid Mayhem
Titan Tungsten
Lunker City
Toad Thumper Lures

Youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing/videos

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2016, 08:08 AM »
Um yyyyeahhh...I'm probably not gonna use somethin called a "mustache worm."  Rapala or not.  But seriously, the VMC ice stuff doesn't do anything for me.  I like the paint schemes on the jigs from "yourbobbersdown.com." I think the others look sloppy. Ima go with them. ;D

Offline sloughdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2016, 09:13 AM »
Another fan here of the Fiskas Wolfram tungsten jigs. Actually the baitshop at Canoe Creek has a big selection of them at around $3 a piece. The devil jig by Fiskas has been deadly for me. It's the one with 3 hinged hooks with coned weight in middle.
For plastics I like the little nuggie and atom plastics. Those plastics from contraband look good. Gonna have to try them out.

With tungsten it's my understanding that it's heated to a much higher temperature compared to lead resulting in the hook losing temper and weakening it. I know I have broken plenty of hooks on tungsten jigs no matter the brand.

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2016, 10:40 AM »
I agree the contraband blood worm has been good so far... A lot of options as far as color and shapes so switching up till you find the right setup has been critical. Nothing against live bait but it's rewarding to catch them on artificial only. And I still use live bait once in awhile.
it is rewarding, my dad is a dedicated fly fisherman, tried and true...he's always on me to find something artificial that I can use and catch fish. Otherwise, I don't think I would've ever considered abandoning minnows ;)

Offline pimple pounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2016, 11:20 AM »
A buddy and I fished yesterday afternoon from 11:00 till about 2:00 and between us caught about 50 to 60 crappies. Cloud cover rolled in and the fish turned on we only kept 15 but had a blast non the less. We only fished with tungsten jigs and plastics and when you drilled the right hole it was on. Really cool to not have to stop somewhere for bait. Ice was 4 to 5 inches so we didn't venture out far.

Offline Rodsnapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2016, 05:02 PM »
VMC waxy jigs in glow

Offline Clam Sr.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Sportsmensdirect heavy metal jigs are fantastic.  I haven't had a hook break in the 5+years I e been using them.

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:56 AM »
A buddy and I fished yesterday afternoon from 11:00 till about 2:00 and between us caught about 50 to 60 crappies. Cloud cover rolled in and the fish turned on we only kept 15 but had a blast non the less. We only fished with tungsten jigs and plastics and when you drilled the right hole it was on.
How 'bout it!!!  ;D

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:58 AM »
Sportsmensdirect heavy metal jigs are fantastic.  I haven't had a hook break in the 5+years I e been using them.
oh yeah? We'll have to check them out...thanx ;)

Offline pvbehr920

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2016, 04:19 PM »
I use The Drop by Clam in gold color.

If you want to stick to family owned, I suggest Brantner Jigs.  Their patterns and paints jobs are spectacular, and they  put a groove in the jig instead of a protruding eyelet where you insert your line.  On the downside, they get very backed, so your order probably won't arrive until April.
Makiplastics Pro Staff
Clam Outdoors Pro Staff (Powerstick)

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:01 PM »
And another downside to brantner is the high price tag over 4$ a jig on most of them same for clam jigs way over priced

Offline pvbehr920

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:11 PM »
And another downside to brantner is the high price tag over 4$ a jig on most of them same for clam jigs way over priced

I wish that I could argue that, but I can't -  I wait until they go on sale.  The defense with Brantner is that there are a few color patterns that have worked for me when nothing else would.
Makiplastics Pro Staff

Offline pvbehr920

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:12 PM »
And nobody has mentioned Kender Outdoors.  Great price tag, and fast shipping.  Very pleased.
Makiplastics Pro Staff

Offline NJChris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:02 PM »
For the past few years i've done really good with 1/64th oz VMC tungsten tubby jigs, tipped with a wax worm. So far this year the new fly jigs and chandelier jigs tipped with wax worms are catching plenty of fish too

Offline keylight

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2016, 09:44 AM »
The clams and the fiskas have done well for me this year. And also some regular marimoskas

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2016, 02:50 PM »
I wish that I could argue that, but I can't -  I wait until they go on sale.  The defense with Brantner is that there are a few color patterns that have worked for me when nothing else would.
I don't wait for things to go on sale when I can get another one basically the same for under 3$ and ik what you mean with certain colors that's why I got a few custom painted from CatchEmAll

Offline Filthyfisherman21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2016, 10:46 PM »
I like the Vmc tungsten tubby jig. Very strong for its size

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2016, 05:34 AM »
The bait shop I prefer has a whole wall of Fiskas. I buy one or two every time I stop. Considering how many times I will never change jigs for 2 weeks,  I am starting to look like I collect new, unopened Fiskas.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Strongice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2016, 09:27 AM »
I bought some of the Drop from Clam at Dick's on sale after the season ended 2 years ago. The gold colr has been a solid producer for me. I tip with either a waxworm or mousie.

Offline sobozj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 14, 2016, 09:48 AM »
Size 14 or 16 Skandia jigs work great for just about everything from picky gills to pickerel.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.