The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Rapid City Club for Boys - Hooked on Hardwater Event - Dave Genz  (Read 915 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I've been honored, and humbled, to be a part of the Hooked on Hardwater event which raises funds to support The Club for Boys of Rapid City, SD and introduces many young boys to their first ice fishing experience. There will be a dinner, raffles, a live and silent auction and Dave Genz will be attending this year. Other prizes include a Vexilar (FL-28 if I recall correctly), Clam Nanook shack, Skinzit fish cleaning tool and much more. And then you'll get to meet Dave Genz as well.  A great value for only $15.00 a ticket. I hope any Wyoming Ice Shanty member who is around Rapid City on the 20th would help support this great event for the boys who have a tougher road than most. Thank you.

This is Devon and myself at last years event!

Hooked on Hardwater tickets are available today at Scheels, the Rooster, the Club for Boys Thrift Store, and the Club for Boys front office. Tickets are $15.00 and limited seating so get your tickets today! The legendary Dave Genz will be attending! For questions, please contact Chantel at [email protected]

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
Awsome thing they are doing here, fishing of any kind is one of those things you get to take with you for life if you so choose, very awsome! Congrats on the honor as well, has to feel good X2

Offline wyo10

• Team IceShanty Regular
That's awesome, wish they would do more stuff like this for kids in southeast Wyoming

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
That's a truley amazing event there to many children that grow up without fathers, mine past away when I was young. It it truley an honor to pass down the knowledge that I have to my step children. I wish there was an event like this in Casper. Maybe I should start one ?? As a step father who just lost his children and wife I beg you fathers to be a part of your kids lives and get them outside as much as you can. Most of the kids today don't appreciate the simple things in life. If there any children in the Casper area or if you guys know of someone in hard time pleas lend a hand and give these kids a chance to enjoy life's simple pleasures. I'm currently in a sling from surgery but would be more than happy to lend a hand to anyone in need.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
We have ice pro's coming in from as far as Ontario Canada to spend the day with one of the boys. In fact, a number of the boys attending have requested to have "their" guy from last year fish with them again. There is a limited number we can take (60 boys this year) and the demand to go is so high, basically a lottery is held for the boys to attend. I can tell you this, you spend a day with one of these boys and see their smiles when they pull in their first fish through the ice, and know they have a disadvantaged home life, it changes you. The first year even Jason Mitchell had tears in his eyes as he spoke at the banquet.

Doz621, by all means if you have the time and desire to start something in the Casper area, there are enough local guys around, I believe one could take 8-10 kids with one-on-one attention for the afternoon as a group.

A pro guide, Robby Rhembrandt, from Nebraska posted this about HoH just to give you an idea of what we experience:

I have been fortunate enough over the last few years to be invited, too in my opinion one of the greatest ice fishing events in the nation. There is no doubt the Hooked on Hardwater event is nothing short of heartwarming, touching, and emotional in some cases. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this event check out the video below. They pair a professional fisherman with a young man from the Rapid City Club for Boys for a day of ice fishing.

Many of the young men come from homes where they are fortunate to have food on the table and people to influence positive decision making. But sadly many of the boys do not even have the opportunity to own a pair of winter boots, coat, or gloves. I will be leaving for Rapid City South Dakota on February 17, 2016 for the third annual Hooked on Hardwater.

The very first year the young man paired with me showed up in a worn out pair of shoes with Walmart sacks taped to his legs. There was no doubt he enjoyed the heater but I do believe I witnessed first-hand the devastation of his home life slip into an enormous smile when he reeled in his first fish.

My goal this year is to not only send the young men home with fishing memories but a pleasant feeling of warmth and gratefulness. If any of you have coats, boots, gloves, or anything else you may think these young men could use please send me a private message and I would be happy to pick it up and take it with me. Not every day gives us the opportunity to save a life but every day gives you multiple opportunity’s to affect one. I have no doubt that these boys will appreciate you’re generosity.

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
What a great event & opportunity!  I wouldn't be able to make it personally, but would like to.  If we can bring something like this to Wyoming, I would be interested in helping out in any way that I could.

Offline wyo10

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yeah we all still know rapid city has that but what about Wyoming? Good cause but we always hear about it else where. Don't know if it comes down to money or what, I have children that love the outdoors, I have even brought with me other kids from friends and family that don't have the chance to be outdoors. No program their or help. I really think something like this in Casper and Cheyenne or anywhere would be beneficial in the long run. We have nothing but let's keep building bars and restaurants and hotels instead of things for our youth and their youth to enjoy

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I'll be fishing with a local Scout group this weekend too. Remember, it doesn't need to be an actual "event", take a local or neighborhood kid out who may not have the opportunity.

A few of you may get together and start something small which may lead to bigger things or even sponsors. I don't have the time to devote to launching a similar event in NE Wyoming, but I do have time to give when needed. I believe a few of you have what it takes to start something in your area, and there are kids who would certainly benefit.

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
WYOUTDOORS: I have a box of snow pants and winter coats to donate to your cause where in ne. Wyoming are you

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Gillette.

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
Would you like these coats winter hats gloves and snow pants help out ?

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I believe they would certainly put them to good use. PM your number and I'll give you a call tomorrow. Thanks!

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey WYOUTDOORS I don't have the ability to start new topics can you start a thread for the donations from Casper guys if you get a chance thanks !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.