The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ATV registration question  (Read 4667 times)

Offline dodgetech4

• IceShanty Rookie
ATV registration question
« on: Feb 03, 2016, 10:38 AM »
I have a question about atv registration in VT. I know you are suppose to register your ATV in Vermont if your from out of state and using them on Vermont lakes. I have my quads registered in another state that does not practice reciprocity with Vermont. Do the game wardens ticket you if your not legal in vermont but you are legal in antother state? Or do they give you a verbal warning and say next time register it in vermont.

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
Re: ATV registration question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2016, 10:48 AM »
Wouldn't risk it. They usually don't mess around in Vt.
I talked with a Vt F&G officer about ATV reg laws a few weeks back, (I live in NH). He said ATV's need to be registered in Vt, Snowmobiles need to just be registered and insured (this is if you are NOT using the trail Systems, only riding Water bodies). But he also eluded to the fact that it may change in near future for ATV's and they are likely to be treated as a boat (just needs to be registered). Stay tuned for that....
Chasing Ice

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2016, 10:58 AM »
Everytime ive run into a,warden on the ice with my wheeler they have checked my reg.

Offline dodgetech4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:33 PM »
how much is the fine for a un registered atv

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:34 PM »
Get it registered here. Don't take the risk it is a big fine close to 200, and game wardens around here are not like cops who will give warnings if you chat them up. They are often looking to give a ticket for anything they possibly can just to do it, they will go out of there way to try to find a violation. I got ticketed 3 years ago for an unregistered ATV. I had bought it private sale on a Friday night, and wanted to use it to pull my new shanty out the next day on Carmi. We pulled the shack out and then went back to shore. Warden showed up as we were gassing the ATV up in the State park boat launch lot. I had a bill of sale from the day before, showing I had owned the rig less than 24 hours, and I at the time was not aware that it needed to be registered if it was not going on VASA. My buddy chatted with the warden for a minute and then he asked if we were going to be using the atv on the lake. He was honest with the warden, and the ATV was running. He told him how we had just gotten it and it was its maiden voyage for us. Warden issued a ticket for 160 for an unregistered vehicle that I had literally purchased at 8pm the night before. We were never seen operating it, but it being out of the truck running next to my truck was enough to get a ticket. No option to load it up and walk, no explanation of the rules etc. Just gave us a ticket. It was far and away the worst experience I have ever had dealing with any form of law enforcement in the state. So I don't take any risks with things like that when ice fishing.

Offline dodgetech4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:38 PM »
I think im going to take a day off work and drive to the nearest VT DMV and get my quads registered. I'm assuming they issue the plates right then and there. I dont want any problems with Johnny Law

Offline vermont mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:57 PM »
Yes it's a good idea to get them registered, quads? So they're are both suzuki's?
Lol

Offline dodgetech4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2016, 01:00 PM »
haha no a Kawasaki and a Yamaha

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2016, 02:44 PM »
Yes they must be registered in Vt.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2016, 03:40 PM »
give me a break please, do we red a car in vt too if from ny when we drive in vt. ??? reg is reg no matter where its still registered id fight it to the end. ive been in vt, never ask for a vt reg, my quad is reg in NY

Offline vermont mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2016, 04:58 PM »
give me a break please, do we red a car in vt too if from ny when we drive in vt. ??? reg is reg no matter where its still registered id fight it to the end. ive been in vt, never ask for a vt reg, my quad is reg in NY

Any body want to smell my feet?

Offline Fat Tony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2016, 05:27 PM »
Wouldn't risk it. They usually don't mess around in Vt.
I talked with a Vt F&G officer about ATV reg laws a few weeks back, (I live in NH). He said ATV's need to be registered in Vt, Snowmobiles need to just be registered and insured (this is if you are NOT using the trail Systems, only riding Water bodies). But he also eluded to the fact that it may change in near future for ATV's and they are likely to be treated as a boat (just needs to be registered). Stay tuned for that....

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but if you live out of state and are registered in that state your considered registered in VT. Maybe trail registration different but this is what I found;
Chapter 31 sub section 3502 e
(e) An all-terrain vehicle owned by a person who is a resident of any other state or province shall be deemed to be properly registered for the purposes of this chapter if it is registered in accordance with the laws of the state or province in which its owner resides, but only to the extent that a similar exemption or privilege is granted under the laws of that state or province for all-terrain vehicles registered in this state by a resident of this state. (Added 1983, No. 240 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 2001, No. 75 (Adj. Sess.), § 11; 2007, No. 76, § 33b; 2009, No. 50, § 80.)

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:14 PM »
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but if you live out of state and are registered in that state your considered registered in VT. Maybe trail registration different but this is what I found;
Chapter 31 sub section 3502 e
(e) An all-terrain vehicle owned by a person who is a resident of any other state or province shall be deemed to be properly registered for the purposes of this chapter if it is registered in accordance with the laws of the state or province in which its owner resides, but only to the extent that a similar exemption or privilege is granted under the laws of that state or province for all-terrain vehicles registered in this state by a resident of this state. (Added 1983, No. 240 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 2001, No. 75 (Adj. Sess.), § 11; 2007, No. 76, § 33b; 2009, No. 50, § 80.)
This is the reciprocate law. If your state let's us then you can here. If your state doesn't let us then we don't let you either.

Offline Fat Tony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:07 PM »
This is the reciprocate law. If your state let's us then you can here. If your state doesn't let us then we don't let you either.

Ahhhhh!  Makes sense now... Massachusetts doesn't reciprocate anything ! I'll take my chances tho.

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2016, 09:32 AM »
lakerman, you are safe. NY and VT are reciprocal. here is an excerpt from VASA:

Q. Does my ATV have to be registered in Vermont?
A. Yes. The only states which offer VT reciprocity are New York and Pennsylvania. If you are registered in NY or PA your registration is honored in VT, all others must register in VT with the Vemont Department of Motor Vehicles. NY and PA registrations pay the higher out of state fee, which allows VASA to capture the trail portion of the registration money we do not receive when a machine is registered in another state.

Q. I thought New Hampshire and Vermont had registration reciprocity?
A.New Hampshire ended registration reciprocity with Vermont on December 31, 2013. 

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2016, 09:55 AM »
lakerman, you are safe. NY and VT are reciprocal. here is an excerpt from VASA:

Q. Does my ATV have to be registered in Vermont?
A. Yes. The only states which offer VT reciprocity are New York and Pennsylvania. If you are registered in NY or PA your registration is honored in VT, all others must register in VT with the Vemont Department of Motor Vehicles. NY and PA registrations pay the higher out of state fee, which allows VASA to capture the trail portion of the registration money we do not receive when a machine is registered in another state.

Q. I thought New Hampshire and Vermont had registration reciprocity?
A.New Hampshire ended registration reciprocity with Vermont on December 31, 2013.

Thank you. Cut. Dry.
Chasing Ice

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2016, 10:11 AM »
No problem. Too bad we lost our reciprocity with you guys. I would think it would be in both of our states' interests to be reciprocal. I would think this lack of reciprocity thing with all states turns off more business than it does earning more money for the states. Though I guess I'm not surprised as the gov't will stick its hand out before it lets any business have a chance. It's annoying because the moment an out of stater comes to VT and buys bait, they've probably paid more for the bait than they did the registration! Although I know it's not Vermont's fault as they are the ones offering the reciprocity, and the other states are the ones turning it down. I feel like outdoor recreation is a great conduit for local businesses and anything that promotes it is worthwhile. Sorry for the rant.

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2016, 10:40 AM »
No problem. Too bad we lost our reciprocity with you guys. I would think it would be in both of our states' interests to be reciprocal. I would think this lack of reciprocity thing with all states turns off more business than it does earning more money for the states. Though I guess I'm not surprised as the gov't will stick its hand out before it lets any business have a chance. It's annoying because the moment an out of stater comes to VT and buys bait, they've probably paid more for the bait than they did the registration! Although I know it's not Vermont's fault as they are the ones offering the reciprocity, and the other states are the ones turning it down. I feel like outdoor recreation is a great conduit for local businesses and anything that promotes it is worthwhile. Sorry for the rant.
I agree with you 100% Outdoor Rec accounts for a damn good share of Vt/NH economy in rural area businesses that would otherwise have a hard time staying afloat.
The VT F&G officer I talked to said Vt is contemplating opening the reg law for ATV's to treat them like a boat. IT makes sense; no difference between driving my NH registered boat across the pond, and driving my NH reg wheeler across the (frozen) pond. Im interested to see how this discussion with the law makers pans out. They usually don't like forfeiting opportunities to rake in revenue despite drowning local businesses.
Chasing Ice

Offline bradleyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2016, 10:05 AM »
Universal reciprocity for ATV registrations has been the law in VT since June of 2015. Here's the new language from V.S.A. Title 23 Chapter 31:

(e) An all-terrain vehicle owned by a person who is a resident of any other state or province shall be deemed to be properly registered for the purposes of this chapter if it is registered in accordance with the laws of the state or province in which its owner resides. (Added 1983, No. 240 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 2001, No. 75 (Adj. Sess.), § 11; 2007, No. 76, § 33b; 2009, No. 50, § 80; 2015, No. 50, § 26, eff. June 3, 2015.)

They deleted the requirement that other states offer reciprocity. I've confirmed this with the wardens office and mentioned that there are apparently quite a few of their officers who are unaware of this. They told me that "it's being addressed". Even if they do get their wardens up to speed that still leaves state troopers, sheriffs, etc. I'll be carrying a copy of the law with me while riding.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #19 on: Sep 05, 2016, 11:25 AM »
Yes it's a good idea to get them registered, quads? So they're are both suzuki's?
Lol

That's good stuff right there t
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline RedMister

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Oct 20, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Ok, now I must ask, just to be clear.. My ATV is insured and registered in NY. I understand that I am fine in VT but do I have to be a member of VASA just to ride my ATV on iced lakes?

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #21 on: Oct 21, 2016, 11:36 AM »
No only if riding on Vasa trail system.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.