The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Fish Piles  (Read 5738 times)

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fish Piles
« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:00 AM »
Good post Machine makes people aware of the law.
  Rp

Offline shibes24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:13 AM »
Slightly different angle.  I've never really thought about it but if I've reached a limit, isn't it still legal to fish as long as I do not keep any?  That would be like a bass tourney when someone has their fish limit but is searching for a bigger fish?

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:40 AM »
Slightly different angle.  I've never really thought about it but if I've reached a limit, isn't it still legal to fish as long as I do not keep any?  That would be like a bass tourney when someone has their fish limit but is searching for a bigger fish?
I wouldn't want to gamble the cost of a ticket to find out

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 03, 2016, 11:41 AM »
I fish for perch with two other guys in my boat frequently.  Been checked a couple times and never once has a CO asked how many fish each guy had in the live well.  I have offered that we need "X" amount more to make a limit.  Happened with walleye once on Drummond.  My friend and I had nine in the live well and were both still fishing.  The CO that boarded us just said good job and asked what we were using.  And the response above is perfect...this is the way the big lake guys roll....whether they are charters or just regular John Does.  That said, yes if you are obviously filling somebody else's limit and the CO is watching you do it...or if you tell the CO that you kept 35 gills and your buddy kept 15...you are asking for a ticket.  Take your lumps and learn a lesson.  I always keep my fish separate on the ice, its so easy.  The boat is another story.
             You are talking about 2 different seasons here, soft water which is harder to keep fish separate, because of spoilage, and hard water, very easy to keep "your" fish separate, that's prolly why the boat is different!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #34 on: Feb 03, 2016, 11:46 AM »
most boats have 2 livewells.if I have 3 guys in my boat I bring a fish basket also.im not getting any tickets or giving them my interpretation of the law.you wont win  against the law.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 03, 2016, 11:52 AM »
most boats have 2 livewells.if I have 3 guys in my boat I bring a fish basket also.im not getting any tickets or giving them my interpretation of the law.you wont win  against the law.
              This guy knows what he is talking about!!  Each officer is different, but trying to tell them the way the law is, will pi** them off!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #36 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:07 PM »
              This guy knows what he is talking about!!  Each officer is different, but trying to tell them the way the law is, will pi** them off!!
lets just say in my younger days I fought the law and the law won..many times.i follow rules a lot better now that im older but still don't like authority that much.lol

Offline RedShantyMi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:16 PM »
Again there is no boat limit in Mi. Also their is no culling of fish allowed. Fishing tournament need an exemption in order for contestants to size up.  Any released fish must be  returned immediately to the water.

Offline Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:18 PM »
talked with a C.O. today and he said they will not bother to ask who caught what so long as you are under limit. Being as there are so many people fishing in shanties keeping fish separate is not necessary. I also ask about weather or not you can use three tip ups. I knew you could but asked because I saw a question about that, The answer is yes, You can fish with three lines no matter how you do it. One last question I asked is weather or not if I have friends or relatives fishing with me using my tip ups do they have to be marked with their address, He told me no so as long as each person can say which ones they are using. I hope this is useful. Thanks
Life is tough, Its tougher when you're stupid

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:20 PM »
talked with a C.O. today and he said they will not bother to ask who caught what so long as you are under limit. Being as there are so many people fishing in shanties keeping fish separate is not necessary. I also ask about weather or not you can use three tip ups. I knew you could but asked because I saw a question about that, The answer is yes, You can fish with three lines no matter how you do it. One last question I asked is weather or not if I have friends or relatives fishing with me using my tip ups do they have to be marked with their address, He told me no so as long as each person can say which ones they are using. I hope this is useful. Thanks
            They do here, as I said each officer is different!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #40 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:32 PM »
            They do here, as I said each officer is different!!
yes I agree. each officer could have a different interpretation of the law even depending on their mood that day lol.just because one officer said that does not mean the whole fleet thinks that.

Offline Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:46 PM »
I agree, please do not take what I said as gospel,  The truth is you are allowed 25 pannies and any thing different is subject to the COs word. I just wish the laws were more clear on some issues

Offline Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:52 PM »
I might also add that I ran a charter boat on Lake Erie for 20 years and never once was asked to identify whos fish were whos , Even in Canadian water. Heck I guess after all of that I have not really been much help. Sorry

Offline Beats sittin at the house

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 03, 2016, 03:39 PM »
Well guess I'm no help to this situation.......gotta catch alot of fish to worry about it! :'(
There's never a bad day of fishing!

Offline Outdoor2dacore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 03, 2016, 03:52 PM »
I don't think a CO would care "how well you took it."  You'd be paying a fine for over-limit and restitution fees all the same. LOL!

Love it when guys try the tough-guy persona with COs. It makes their day.

Skippy,

I never once said I would give the CO a hard time or be confrontational.  I just wouldn't be happy, my success in positive encounters with COs comes from letting them do their job and being good to them, they are folks just like us with families, they are just doing their jobs.  What I am more or less saying it that I really disagree with them following the letter of the law in this instance and feel most will use their better judgement and won't knit pick it. 

By the way, how's the fishing been up at Northern? I spent 6 years up there and miss it greatly sometimes, some awesome memories on the water up there. 

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:03 PM »

It's not what you catch but what you keep, even if it's given to someone else.

Correct ^

.        You better stay in the fort then!!  It's how many u catch!!

Wrong^

I can catch an give away 24 gills to anyone, and catch 50000 more legally as long as I don't keep any more...

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:08 PM »
             You are talking about 2 different seasons here, soft water which is harder to keep fish separate, because of spoilage, and hard water, very easy to keep "your" fish separate, that's prolly why the boat is different!!

I looked everywhere and there is nothing that says the law changes with the weather....

Actually I did look because that line of thought is preposterous!

<°)))>{

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:20 PM »
I looked everywhere and there is nothing that says the law changes with the weather....

Actually I did look because that line of thought is preposterous!

<°)))>{
                    You can do anything you want, if you want to stretch the rule, but where I fish you will pay if you "give any fish to anyone" with 24 or so in your bucket, and by the way numerous guys have found out the hard way!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:25 PM »
                    You can do anything you want, if you want to stretch the rule, but where I fish you will pay if you "give any fish to anyone" with 24 or so in your bucket, and by the way numerous guys have found out the hard way!!

I didn't keep any, gave away 24, and caught and released 200 more...

Perfectly legal, and not stretching anything...

<°)))>{

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:29 PM »
I didn't keep any, gave away 24, and caught and released 200 more...

Perfectly legal, and not stretching anything...

<°)))>{
             That's legal!

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #50 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:24 PM »
Why throw them on the ice...do you want attention? I always put them in my bucket or creel to keep the sight fisherman away.... ;D

Offline TK81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 05, 2016, 04:36 AM »
Why throw them on the ice...do you want attention? I always put them in my bucket or creel to keep the sight fisherman away.... ;D

Bingo, we have a winner.  Only if I am alone on a lake and out of sight do I leave my fish laying on the ice.  And the only reason I do it is if I am hole hopping a relatively small area, I will leave the fish by the hole I caught them from...gives me an idea of which holes are the best. 

The reason I brought up the soft water analogy is because I think guys routinely put all their keepers in the live well and I have not heard of a CO asking multiple guys in a boat how many each kept.  All I have heard is that they just count total fish and make sure the group isn't over.  That's my experience and the experience of a couple of my friends that run charter businesses.  I'm sure that some CO's may look at things differently, but I have not seen nor heard of that scenario. 

Offline bigrich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 05, 2016, 08:36 AM »
If the CO writes a ticket that you feel is in error fight it in court. People fight tickets every day. You may lose but that is the best place to argue your case, not on the ice.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 05, 2016, 08:39 AM »
If the CO writes a ticket that you feel is in error fight it in court. People fight tickets every day. You may lose but that is the best place to argue your case, not on the ice.
      The bad thing is it would probably cost at least twice as much, which if you won would be great, but if lost be a double whammy!!

Offline bigrich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 05, 2016, 08:50 AM »
      The bad thing is it would probably cost at least twice as much, which if you won would be great, but if lost be a double whammy!!

True but the option is still there.

Offline fishinbro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 05, 2016, 09:31 AM »
Two people one licence 1 pale, count fish to meany for for 1 licence,"busted"

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
« Reply #56 on: Feb 05, 2016, 03:16 PM »
 ** TRUE STORY*** I took my boat out on detroit river to ice fish the back basins... We all got a limit of perch and had em in our bucket... We kept 49 each to play it safe... This hardass CO made us dump our buckets out and counted... He was doing it to everyone. We were legal so no ticket... But the CO said with a very cocky voice " Your lucky you guys separated the fish otherwise the boat owner would be getting a ticket for being over his limit"... again this guy was a total prick.... I said what about walleye when I jig and 3 of us go, I have to bring 3 coolers?? He said YES or you better know what fish belongs to what person, he actually said to tag them with a sharpie..... So the answer is

Yes you are suppose to keep em separate, yes you CAN get a ticket..... NO you CANNOT tell the CO to prove it... Its the other way around, you have to prove to them what is yours.

That being said most CO's if you are polite and respectable would not fine you for this but they CAN if they wanted

Offline GILL GETTER 357

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 05, 2016, 05:55 PM »
SAD SAD WORLD WE LIVE IN. >:(

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #58 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:44 AM »
Skippy,

I never once said I would give the CO a hard time or be confrontational.  I just wouldn't be happy, my success in positive encounters with COs comes from letting them do their job and being good to them, they are folks just like us with families, they are just doing their jobs.  What I am more or less saying it that I really disagree with them following the letter of the law in this instance and feel most will use their better judgement and won't knit pick it. 

By the way, how's the fishing been up at Northern? I spent 6 years up there and miss it greatly sometimes, some awesome memories on the water up there.

You name a species, and it's biting. Probably the best season I've had yet.

Lakers, Rainbows, and Walleye have been my most recent targets. Getting tired of eating gills and perch.

Still looking for those elusive brookies/Browns.

Offline TheMightyKraken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 09, 2016, 12:45 PM »
Never met a CO that would do this, they are always decent peeps

Now maybe if you are acting like an idiot or drunk and obnoxious he or she may write tickets.

When did everyone suddenly become a lawyer?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.