The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Polar Bird 4T - Maiden Voyage  (Read 6576 times)

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
Polar Bird 4T - Maiden Voyage
« on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:48 PM »
I got out on the lake yesterday and brought the 4T to put it to the test. Now, I'll start by saying that this is my first pop-up shack, so I don't have much to compare it to other than the couple others I've been in that belong to friends on different trips. I hadn't even taken it out of the bag prior to getting it on the ice, so I wasn't sure what was in store, but I watched several YouTube videos, so how hard could it be? It went up in less than two minutes, so I was impressed with that. I also really liked the bag it stores in, where all folds up in the bag and cinches tight with the straps and D-rings. Kind of reminds me of those knife sets in the canvas rolls.

The shelter seems very well built with quality materials. The feel of the fabric and quilted insulation seems very durable, along with the poles and metal hubs. After stepping inside the shack, I was impressed with how bright it is inside with the light-colored fabric. I know this isn't a desirable feature for some fishermen but I found it to be a welcome surprise. I also really liked all the overhead storage with the two large mesh pockets. I stashed all kinds of gear up there which kept it all out of the way. I know a lot of people don't care for the high placement of the windows, and I did have to get up out of my chair regularly to check my traps, but I didn't find this to be overly annoying. I was fishing solo, so what else am I going to do? I also really like the fact that the windows are removable for ventilation.

I have to say that the quilted insulation makes a huge difference compared to the uninsulated pop-ups I've been in. Granted, it was around 30 degrees yesterday, which isn't cold by ice fishing standards, but it was fairly breezy on the lake at times. I was perfectly cozy in the shack with no heater, even shedding layers while I was sitting reading a book. I made a bed on the floor for my pup and she was snoozing away comfortably. I didn't use the floor this time around so I can't speak to its function, maybe next time.

When it came time to pack up at the end of the day, the process couldn't have been any easier. It folds down in a matter of a minute and getting it back in the bag and cinched up is a breeze. Much easier than stuffing it in a bag and fighting to squish it in enough to get the zipper to barely close. To be honest, the carrying bag was one of the features that persuaded me to get the Polar Bird, simple as it sounds.

Overall I am very pleased with the Polar Bird and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a hub-style shelter. I'm glad I opted for the 4T at the last minute rather than 3T. I liked having the extra space, my pup did too. Again, big thanks to Wayne at Sebago Bait for offering to bring it up on his way to Moosehead and meeting me to drop it off. Great service and a great guy.

My only complaint of the day was the fact that I didn't have a single fish to show for my effort...Slow-bec lived up to its reputation for me yesterday.

Offline chum bucket

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Polar Bird 4T - Maiden Voyage
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:51 PM »
Glad you ended up liking the Polar Bird, looks roomy
Semper Fi

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:55 PM »
Thanks for sharing this. You just pushed me over two edges I was very close too. Polarbird, AND the 4T instead of the 3T.
Ordering... :)

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing this. You just pushed me over two edges I was very close too. Polarbird, AND the 4T instead of the 3T.
Ordering... :)

I was hesitant to get the 4T at first because I don't have a snowmobile or wheeler to haul my gear, I'm on foot everywhere I go, so I thought the 4T might be a little big to haul around. I caved at the last minute and opted for the extra space, my legs and back be "darned". I'm glad I did. I didn't find it cumbersome at all to drag in the sled.

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:03 PM »
The 4T is 5 lbs heavier. The floor might add another pound or so. I actually just ordered mine. I walk and drag too, but I'm not worried about a few pounds. Thanks!

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:07 PM »
Glad to be of assistance.

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2016, 11:33 PM »
Well you certainly assisted. Like so many here. So great to hear honest opinions about ice fishing stuff, especially when you don't agree. Not to mention fishing tips. We all have much more information on which to make a decision, and this site has helped me immeasurably in making good choices with limited resources. . Thanks again for being part of that.

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2016, 04:47 AM »
I'm very I pressed with mine aswell..
Wait until you try the floor out, what a difference it makes!! And you are right about the bag.. no more stuffing into a small bag and fighting a frozen zipper.!!

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:25 AM »
While I was fishing, a couple of different guys I didn't know stopped by to shoot the breeze and ask me about the shack. Neither had heard of Polar Bird and I think they were skeptical, thinking it was some cheap off-brand. Once I told them a bit about it and the company, and after they looked it over, they were pretty impressed. I think seeing one of these in person can really sell it. The quality is apparent.

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:30 AM »
I know I have 2 friends that have seen it and are sold on it...
I dint know why, but I've named mine the "dirty bird"... just sounds more fun..

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2016, 06:24 AM »
Oooh, that's good. I might have to steal that one.

Offline METOVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Maine to Vermont & Back
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:57 AM »
I think the Polar Bird club will be growing as more people see them out on the lake and get a chance to take a look at them. I agree, the floor is sweet among all the other qualities. I did rip my bag by yanking on the straps trying to move it in the sled. I contacted the company and they said it was designed to be picked up or carried by the shoulder straps and not the straps used to secure the shelter in the bag. They did offer to reimburse me for having the bag fixed or to send me a new one. I opted for a new bag which came this weekend. Thanks Nikolay!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2016, 09:35 AM »
I got my 4T Saturday afternoon and set it up in the living room for a trail run. The wife was even impressed with the room and the dogs loved it. I didn't make it out Sunday, but will try it next weekend if there is any ice. I also like the feature of a pouch for the anchors in the bag. I was also thinking about cutting another hole  for my transducer, but I can just slide the cable under the edge of the floor to a hole and cover it up. I think this will be my best portable so far.
Steve

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2016, 09:44 AM »
just trying to understand why I would want to buy one for the bag or the floor. I see that floor being a real headache in slush or with a lot of water on the ice...freezing in etc?

I was thinking the exact same thing and actually had the same question typed this morning.
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2016, 09:48 AM »
I was wondering how the blood, scales and fish slime cleaned up.
Steve

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2016, 09:50 AM »
For me, the fact that the whole shack is insulated at price-point similar to non-insulated competitors, was a big selling point. I was in my brother-in-law's Eskimo 6120 Friday night that he just got. It's the non-insulated version and really dark inside, which some people may prefer. The quality and durability of the poles and hubs of the Polar Bird were far superior to the Eskimo. The floor is removable so if it is slushy and wet on the ice, then you simply don't have to use it, but it's certainly nice to have when the situation allows for it.

Again, I didn't have a shelter previous to the Polar Bird and was in the market for one so I don't have much to compare but for me, the Polar Bird has features - even small, seemingly insignificant ones - that pushed me to choose it.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2016, 09:56 AM »
I've got the 3T, with floor.  Won it, here on IS, in their contest.  I really like the Polar Bird.  They are NOT the same as the pop-ups.  Material and workmanship are above the rest, in my opinion.  The bag is a plus, as is the floor.  The floor is ioptional, you need to drag it out if you think it's not going to be an asset in given conditions.

Just my 2 cents.  @)

Offline YukonCorleone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2016, 10:06 AM »
Does it have loops at the corners for ice anchor screws?  Looks like it does from the pic.
Fish On!!!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2016, 10:29 AM »
You can use the bag as sleeping bag if you wanted too.
Steve

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2016, 10:30 AM »
Does it have loops at the corners for ice anchor screws?  Looks like it does from the pic.

It does and comes with 4 ice anchors. It also comes with straps that you can attach to the hubs and anchor it that way.

Offline YukonCorleone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2016, 10:39 AM »
Nice thanks for the info
Fish On!!!

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2016, 08:34 PM »
Ordered my 4T last night. Shipped this morning and due at my house Wednesday! Woohoo.

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2016, 08:52 PM »
I don't think you'll be disappointed! Let us know what you think of it.

Offline Frontier87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2016, 11:36 AM »
Went out fishing with a friend in his new polar bird 3T, this thing is awesome. Rugged construction, very warm ( I was barefoot by end of day). The option of having a floor when conditions allow was a great feature. Needless to say I went and order a 3T the next day for myself.

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2016, 01:21 PM »
If anyone is thinking about purchasing one, we have (2) three person shacks left with the free floor $269.00 each.
http://www.sebagobait.com/
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Fri 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Weekends starting at 5:00 am during ice fishing season (Jan 1, 2019)

THE HOME OF FREE AUGER BLADE SHARPENING

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2016, 11:50 PM »
Went out fishing with a friend in his new polar bird 3T, this thing is awesome. Rugged construction, very warm ( I was barefoot by end of day). The option of having a floor when conditions allow was a great feature. Needless to say I went and order a 3T the next day for myself.

Thank you very much for your support and kind words on our products!
The Polar Bird Team

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2016, 01:03 PM »
I used the floor for the first time on Saturday. It was a little heavier than I anticipated, so the sled was a little more weighted down hauling it up the lake on foot. I was impressed with how easy it goes in and comes out. It certainly helps prevent "wind lift" too when it gets breezy. I thought it insulated well and it was nice to walk around on a dry surface instead of the wet, slippery ice that most pop-ups have after some melting. The floor does slide around a bit when it's wet underneath it but I didn't find it bothersome. I didn't use the holes to fish out of, since I usually only fish tip-ups, so I can't speak to how effective they are or easy to use. I did notice some of the material wasn't completely sealed together around one of the holes and I'm hoping no water made its way into the inside of the floor, but I'm not too concerned about it. Overall it's a nice option to have. It's not always necessary to bring it along or use it, depending on conditions, but when it is, it's great to have it.

Offline gadabout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2016, 01:23 PM »
damn, looks comfy. very cool
Gadabout

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2016, 02:10 PM »
From the sounds of everyones reviews I should buy one.

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2016, 04:06 PM »
From the sounds of everyones reviews I should buy one.

If you're in the market for a portable, I'd give them a hard look.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.