Author Topic: Nils Auger - Best Investment Yet!  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Nils Auger - Best Investment Yet!
« Reply #30 on: Feb 02, 2016, 06:56 AM »
Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase, keep us posted :thumbsup:

WS

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:30 AM »
So Far:

Pros: The cover looks like it should work fine
Cons: I can longer substitute digging holes in the ice for a trip to the gym :)

Agreed, the only difference being that you have a good chance finding a pair of SM blades hanging on a peg at the local bait store.   That's why if you have a Nils it's imperative to have an extra cutting head.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:34 AM »
I think that is a good idea. I noticed last night that the cutting blades ARE the head. How deeply, or how many times can they be touched up?
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:50 AM »
 The recommendations on sharpening are very much appreciated, thank you. 
 I don't have a problem with the 6" Nils cover but I do have a routine down for putting on and off.
 The 8" cover can be a bit of a Chinese Finger Trap though and had a few scary moments with it.
A Strikemaster cover works and better yet is the Cold Snap cover but hey can be knocked off too.   If the Cold Snap saved the blade from being damaged just once it has paid for itself.    I know Dtro was one of the first to use the magnets.  If you go that route put duct tape of something over the magnet to protect the edge and bottom of the blade from getting dinged up.

The 6" Nils hand auger is pretty sweet and cuts a hole fast with little effort.   Putting a drill on it really is amazing.
I like hearing 1st hand experiences by Nils owners when it comes to how long a blades lasts before it needs sharpening.  As you have read they can go for years before needing sharpening.   Good point on drying the blade and oil to prevent rust.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #34 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:05 AM »
So Frank, another poster was saying that the 8" Nils doesn't hold it's sharpness nearly as well as the 6"?  What are your thoughts on this? 

I have the 8" coming in the mail, hope it's not true! ;D

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 02, 2016, 11:15 AM »
I hope Frank sees this and replies because I am interested too. No matter what the answer, you'll probably always partially wish you had the other. I received the 6" a couple weeks ago and it is so easy to auger a hole with it I almost immediately wished I'd bought the 8"!
You can't have everything...
I think I'm going to start drilling two holes right next to each other, one for the transducer. 6 is a little tight for a transducer and a circle swimming monster crappie!

Offline BC_ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 02, 2016, 04:53 PM »
I bought an auger at a lawn sale  it looks like a nils  it says ur iaapoart on it  finland  is this auger a  nils  got the offset handle and blade like a nils  paid 5 bucks and got a second head with it

Could be an older Fin Bore. I had posted this one last year to find out because it looked a lot like the nils.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=300451.msg3152146#msg3152146
}<((((°> 
                }<((((°>

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:13 PM »
So Frank, another poster was saying that the 8" Nils doesn't hold it's sharpness nearly as well as the 6"?  What are your thoughts on this? 

I have the 8" coming in the mail, hope it's not true! ;D

I will post a pic of my 8" spoon and cutting head tomorrow...I don't think you have anything to worry about!

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 03, 2016, 07:08 AM »
   The blades are made from the same stock.  Here are the most common ways to dull your blades.  Drilling in too shallow of water, getting dropped, and getting hit with ice scoops.    How many times have you seen someone dragging an auger across the ice?    Next up would be drilling on dirty ice.   If you see road crud dropped from cars don't drill there.   Guard falls off in the back of the truck gear gets a popcorn ride to the lake.    All that is damage from the user and no fault of the blade.  So if you can eliminate all of those your ahead of the game. 
 Last of all sand/dirt blown onto the ice.  That is what I call dulled. Not a whole lot you can do about that but its only makes up for a small portion of blades that need sharpening.  Most times it is user error.

Will a 8" blade go dull or become dull or damaged before a 4.5" blade?  Yes!
Here is why.
I give you a 3" florescent tube in one hand and in the other 5'.
Go out in a hail storm and start swinging the tubes around.
What are the chances the 5' tube will break before the 3' tube?
Could that have been avoided?  Yes.

Put the guard on when your done drilling.  That will protect the blade,  the dog, and a clumsy buddy.
 Don't let anything but clean ice touch the blades.

Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #39 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:12 AM »
Thanks for that info, Frank. 

My Nils 8" Arctic Trekker came in the mail yesterday.  I put it together, and went straight to the pond behind my house.  I used the handle to drill my first holes, as I don't have a drill yet that will fit the top of the auger unit.  Took a little getting used to with the offset handle, but I got it.  Drilled several holes in about 12 inches of ice, then kicked myself in the ass for not buying this 20 years ago. 

The blade cover is OK.  I think it has to go on in one certain location to actually stay on.  I will mark the auger and cover with magic marker to remedy this. 

Here is a pic of the top of the auger.  No adapter needed, just add drill, and start drilling.  With handle removed, of course.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:21 AM »
I scored my 6" Nils last week - I am also kicking myself in the ass for not having one before now!
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 03, 2016, 03:24 PM »
Ice surveyor,    the drill chuck will have 3 jaws that will fit into the 3 indents on the Nils shaft.  Align those up and tighter her down.
  With that 8" standard head I'd settle for nothing less then 1000 in. lbs or torque.   Have fun with it.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #42 on: Feb 03, 2016, 05:57 PM »
I ordered a Milwaukee Fuel Drill with 1200 in/lbs. today.  I should be good.  All I'll need now are  :tipup:'s

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #43 on: Feb 12, 2016, 11:21 AM »
What you are looking at is a match made in heaven.  8" nils trekker, and a Milwaukee 2704 drill.  I drilled 27 holes through 12" of ice yesterday, and still had plenty of battery power to go.  I might just have to make a video of this combo in action, it's that good.  I timed one of the holes drilled, and came up with 5.1 seconds.  Drill is set on speed 1. 

Offline WiMeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 12, 2016, 03:59 PM »
Ice Shanty Gang,
I too made the switch to electric this Winter. I went with the 6" Nils cordless drill auger(Orange one) and paired it up with the brushless, 5ah,18V Milwaukee Fuel hammer drill(2704)
Man o man does that thing cut!!! My ole Jiffy will be collecting A LOT of dust in the garage!!! So worth the investment and so much lighter when ya have to go find the fish!!!
If you on the fence like I was for a couple years, make the jump now and enjoy it!!!
WiMeatHunter

Offline graywolf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:32 PM »
Frank, a year ago you had made the comment about sometimes having to resurface a Nils head that had been mistreated.  Would you mind sharing some of your knowledge on this comment?  Sorry if I am a little bit off of the post, but Nils is Nils and any time you can gain knowledge and how to treat it, better pay attention.  Someone with the amount of this man's knowledge about the Nils head and how to fix it,  are far and few between (unless you live in Finland and can speak the language).
Thanks Frank

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 13, 2016, 08:57 AM »
Will a nils fit on my Ion power head? Can anybody help me out with this??? Last thread I asked the same question and got ignored? Thank you in advance!!!

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 13, 2016, 09:09 AM »
Quote from: EricB86
Will a nils fit on my Ion power head? Can anybody help me out with this??? Last thread I asked the same question and got ignored? Thank you in advance!!!
Not without an adapter. Where to find one??? ??? Go to a machine shop and have one custom made. ;)
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 13, 2016, 09:29 AM »
Seems like most prefer the 6" to the 8"? I've always fished out of 8-10" holes. The 10 is overkill, as I mainly fish for pan fish and walleyes. Seriously considering grabbing the 6 and pairing it with the rigid drill.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #49 on: Feb 13, 2016, 09:29 AM »
The photo is on the box of the Nils Arctic Trekker that I bought.  Obviously, Nils makes an adapter. 

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 13, 2016, 09:53 AM »
Not without an adapter. Where to find one??? ??? Go to a machine shop and have one custom made. ;)
[/quote

That's kinda what I thought! But I don't want to pull the trigger on purchasing till I know it can be done.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 13, 2016, 10:03 AM »
 Graywolf,     if I mention resurfacing a Nils blade it would be in reference to the bottom of the blade which you would normally never touch.
 If the blade was sharpened wrong, specifically attempted to sharpen the bottom, remove burr, or barley touched the bottom of the blade is all damage from an owner with good intentions.   Don't do it.    Magnets placed in a cover can do more damage then someone putting a bevel on the bottom because the whole width of the blade can be marred.  That has to be taken completely out.   Rust and pitting have to be taken out. Imagine shaving with a rusty razor blade.  If there is rust you can't get it to hold an edge. 
 If the blade was flat it would be easier but a blade could still be ruined.   Add a curve to a blade and it complicates matters.  Really what your doing is trying to save a blade that is otherwise DOA.

About using an ION with Nils. Sure it can be done you'll just have to come up with an adapter. 
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.