Author Topic: Perch size distribution in Cascade  (Read 7920 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Perch size distribution in Cascade
« on: Jan 28, 2016, 04:36 PM »
When I fished Cascade years ago, there seemed to be a distribution of sizes as you would expect: Many small ones, and less quantity as they got larger. There were a lot of perch in the 8-12 inch range, and none I remember as large as those caught the last few years. (The lake biologist says these large fish are 8-10 years old.)
Even 3 years ago, you would catch plenty of fish to throw back (under 6 inches) and sometimes had to use a bigger bait just to keep from wasting too much time with them.
This year, I have not caught very many perch (not the buckets I hear some talk about) but they are almost all over 12 inches and mostly females. Others report the same kind of fishing- a slow bite, but large fish.
Is this representative of what others are seeing? Does this mean something about the fishery? Cascade is certainly a unique perch fishery, and I sure hope it can keep producing oversized perch.

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
Re: Perch size distribution in Cascade
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2016, 09:54 PM »
This year being the first time the wife and I have ever fished Cascade we really enjoyed the several days we spent on the ice and had fun catching some nice perch. Being a non resident now I don't have much say in this but I think the state should set a limit on the perch say 10 or 12 a day per angler. I'm not a biologist but I should think that would help the population some. I talked to several anglers while we were there that said they have seen buckets full of big perch come out of there in the spring and early summer, mostly spawners I would imagine.   

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2016, 10:06 PM »
Last I heard there is no shortage of perch. In fact, the abundance of perch will eventually lead to smaller sizes.

James

Offline No Trout Please

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2016, 10:22 PM »
While I think it's up to the angler to put some of those big spawners back I agree with SilverBullet perch can overpopulate and stunt out pretty quick! Right now if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Offline Bigfish33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2016, 01:55 AM »
If I remember right, IDFG surveyed the lake not too long ago and it was mentioned the perch population is extremely high and that there are signs that the fish size could get smaller over the next few years due to the abundance. I'll see if I can find the article. I know last summer I caught lots of fish of all age groups. I think it just depends where you're fishing and what you run into on a given day.

Offline Bigfish33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2016, 02:04 AM »
https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/media/viewNewsRelease.cfm?newsID=7969

Here's a link that gives some insight into the perch fishery.

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2016, 10:49 AM »
Right now if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Really ???  so we shouldn't think about the future of one of the greatest perch fishery's in the USA right now?
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2016, 11:37 AM »
I talked to the biologist a few weeks ago, and he admitted that they did not know why Cascade became so exceptional after the poisoning. He said if he know how to force a fishery like that to happen, he would get rich going all over the country doing. it. I keep hoping that this is a new normal, but unless anyone can come up with a reason otherwise, it seems like it should drift back to the old 1990s normal over time.
Not my wish, but my guess.
If there were ideas to maximize the time we keep this fishery in its current state, I would support it. If there were a way to get rid of the slush we have dealt with this year, I would be up for that as well.
 :tipup:

Offline No Trout Please

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2016, 01:19 PM »
I think about it all the time! I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with it as of now I mean you see those big spawners being pulled out and kept but their perch and they have tendency to overpopulate! I've seen all age classes being caught and people seem positive about what their seeing! I fished it in the early 90's when there were a lot of little ones and probably to many so when they talk about limits right now and I just don't think it's time or ever! The fisherman are keeping them in check and it been a good deal for everyone! When you see thousands of perch starving for air like I saw up there in the 90's along the banks now that's a different story, I am a huge supporter of perch, crappie, walleye etc. and I'd like to see more it'd be great if we had about 5 more Cascades and the department has done a lot of work up there and if they see something they'll make changes cause I know they want to keep it going strong.

Offline eastern brook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2016, 02:25 PM »
If you think about it they got a large amount of perch from Phillips lake in Oregon, and Cascade fishing turned excellent.

Offline No Trout Please

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2016, 03:09 PM »
That is true but the perch population was wiped out so they had to get em from somewhere!

Offline mtn8tive

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2016, 04:32 PM »
Really ???  so we shouldn't think about the future of one of the greatest perch fishery's in the USA right now?
Matt
I think that is exactly what most folks on here are doing.  If you don't want to believe the report from IFG you can get an idea of the population for yourself by cruising around the lake and watching your sonar in the fall.  I have had some exceptional days, catching many of those 13-15" fish in the fall, all the while watching my sonar indicate schools of fish probably in the 1000's. I for one would vote against any limits on perch on Cascade.

Offline Bigfish33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2016, 07:55 PM »
I personally think that it would take much more fishing pressure than it gets now to put a dent in the population. That doesn't mean I think people should just keep to keep, if you're going to use them, use them, if not let them go.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2016, 08:31 PM »
My fishing experience at cascade has only been the last 5 ice seasons so my knowledge is limited.  But I did notice this year that the overall size was as large as the last two years with larger fish not as abundant as the last to years.  But the big fish were BIG compared to 2 years ago.  I've always thought that at some point the balance of fish size in Cascade will tip, it's the natural course of things, just think of Devils lake or some other perch destinations, some years they're great some years they're not.  Cascade is a truly amazing fishery and there is a reason we drove 30 hours one way to fish it ;).

I will say that every year we get a pretty healthy size distribution hook and line from the southern and northern lake basins for whatever reason.  I think these areas might have a higher zooplankton population? Maybe water conditions age-0 perch really like? Not too sure but it does seem like the distribution is more consistent in these areas to a typical warm water fishery.

I'd be more worried about the copepods (lice) on all the trout over 20" we caught this year, that is what concerns me more.  Although I'm a "Spiny-ray" guy I do really battling those bruisers from time to time and it would be a shame to have their body condition compromised by the parasites.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2016, 07:32 PM »
Hope you guys start finding some smaller fish. Only catching a single age class is not a good sign. Hopefully the next generation of jumbos are just hiding out somewhere getting big.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2016, 12:58 PM »
Hope you guys start finding some smaller fish. Only catching a single age class is not a good sign. Hopefully the next generation of jumbos are just hiding out somewhere getting big.

Don't worry.  There are plenty of fish in all age classes. 

IMO, the best way to ensure that the perch jumbo's keep coming is for lots of people to fish the lake hard and keep every perch they catch.  I've been of that opinion for many years.  Under population = large fish, but lower numbers.  Over population = smaller fish, but higher numbers.  Seems like about the only ones who agree with me are the fish and game cops.

(Now I guess I'll just sit back and wait for the hate messages.   ;D   Oh.  No I won't.  I'm going fishing instead.)

Offline No Trout Please

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2016, 01:27 PM »
There are some but I think most people would agree with that!

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2016, 01:35 PM »
Hmmmm.  I kinda thought you'd be one of the ones to disagree.

Question.  What do you do with the ones that are too small to eat?

Offline No Trout Please

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2016, 01:41 PM »
If I could get a good bunch of 7-8 inchers I'd be happy with that! How about you?

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2016, 01:48 PM »
7-8 inchers are eaters.  Actually, I prefer to eat the 8-12 inchers over the 14-16 inchers.  I prefer to catch the 14+ inchers, but I'll eat those too. 

You avoided my question.  What do you do with the ones that are too small to eat?

Offline No Trout Please

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2016, 01:56 PM »
Well I've kept some 4 inchers scaled them and gutted them instead of filleting them and fried them whole and they were very good!

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2016, 01:59 PM »
Still avoiding the question.......

As would I.........

Offline No Trout Please

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2016, 02:01 PM »
What do you want me to say? Eggs? I said I kept 4 inchers

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2016, 02:22 PM »
We threw back all of our little ones when we were out there last weekend. This is the law, there is no interpretation other than perch are listed as a gamefish per IFG and it's clearly stated that it's against the law to waste game fish, I. E. Leaving them on the ice - "wanton waste". Either keep em to eat (whatever sizes you desire) or put em back. 15" perch are a 4" perch at some point in their life, correct?

Offline No Trout Please

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2016, 02:29 PM »
This is true! I've never left a perch on the ice in my life! My preferred range is 7-8 inchers I kept some 4 inchers scaled em and fried em up and they were good nobody ever said anything about leaving them on the ice that topics already been discussed a they shut it down just as fast!

Offline No Trout Please

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2016, 02:33 PM »
I usually throw back the little ones anyway to I wasn't at the reservoir I was fishing in the river there below the dam and decided to keep a few to eat!

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2016, 02:34 PM »
I'm talking in general, not at anyone specific. We see it here in the Midwest with little bluegills. I've seen it multiple times over the years on Cascade so I figured I'd throw my .02$ in on it. Keep what you want to eat, put the rest back. Simple stuff. This was my 5th year of fishing Cascade and it's in fine shape, every bit as good as it was back then. It's not broken.

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2016, 02:43 PM »
As somebody else said, the slush could go away and everyone would be happy. You know it's bad when mountain sleds get buried! :o

Offline No Trout Please

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2016, 02:45 PM »
Agree!

Offline No Trout Please

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2016, 02:48 PM »
I got family in Dallas SD spent a lot of time back there! Pretty windy though

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor