The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Ice gator head for nils?  (Read 777 times)

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Ice gator head for nils?
« on: Jan 28, 2016, 10:02 AM »
I'm a fan of Nils hand augers...have been for years...I've used a 6 incher for quite a while now...

A couple years ago I decided because of folks on this forum to invest in a Tanaka gas head and an 8 incher flight and head....

That worked fine until my kid drilled down into a sand bar screwing up the cutting blade on the 8 last spring.

This year the ice hasn't really been too thick, and I didn't have the 8 inch cutter head repaired over the summer anyway...so I have reverted back to using the 6 inch hand auger....

Gotta say I like not having to carry a bunch of heavy stuff around and am considering maybe getting the Lithium Ice Gator head to use with either my 8 inch or 6 inch nils drill bits in the future....I just ordered a new 8 inch head...figured I would send the dulled one out for repair and then would always have a spare on hand...(I had already the same for the 6 inch head...)

anyway...does anyone have any beta on the Ice Gator Annihilator with a nils...either a 6 or an 8?  I've seen the videos on u tube...just looking for real time experience...I could see something lighter than even the Tanaka...and the lithium electric is only 25 pounds...and no gas and no smoke...

I am not interested in a drill conversion...or even the drill and clam plate...at this time....should I be?  I kinda want a two handled thingy to control the beast while cutting...

I understand the price is steep..but I could probably unload my Tanaka head and/or the Jiffy model 30 I have (the good older one with no plastic!)...

I'm just getting old and want stuff that is lighter weight, takes up less room in my jet sled, is wicked easy to use (as in a no brainer) and is fully functional.....

Thanks in advance...

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice gator head for nils?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2016, 10:07 AM »
I just got a cordless drill adapter for my 8" nils hand auger and am planning to get a Milwaukee fuel 18v to use with it.  I will report once I've tried it out. 

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2016, 11:58 AM »
Just get an adapter and mount up a Mora to the Tanaka. That's all I have used for 3 years.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2016, 11:30 AM »
I have the lithium 28V Gator (waiting on the new 42V with 9.5" auger) with an 8" NILs bit.  It does one heck of a job on making holes in the ice.  There is absolutely nothing like it.  I also use a cordless drill option on a 6" Finbore - early ice.  Both have their place and both do a fine job in that place.  I would not give up the ice-gator for anything.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2016, 12:32 PM »
Just stick with your 8" Nils and hand crank.  Nothing is simpler or more reliable or lighter.
unless you are drilling more than 20 holes in ice thicker than 2.5 feet.
I've owned a Gator (lead batteries, and rigged up a long cable for batteries being carried in my sled).
Still too heavy or cumbersome.  I've had a Jiffy 30 10", Jiffy 2h 8", and a Tanaka with my Nils.
The older I get, the more I am trying to reduce weight, clutter and complexity.  The Nils hand
crank is surprising fast.
I wound up selling my Jiffy 30 and Gator.  I keep the 2hp Jiffy as back up to my Tanaka (which
I haven't been using much lately).

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2016, 01:49 PM »
That's OK if you got the shoulders to turn the crank.   @)

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2016, 06:31 AM »
Mainedog..

20 holes is very easy proposition right from the get go with a wife and two guests for a day of fishing.

If I'm in the mood for some swiss cheese and some serious fishing when I'm with my sons and their friends????...well you get the picture.

I agree with you 100% on the Nils manual augers. Just awesome....

However, I know that I do want some type of power head....and in particular one that is compatible with my Nils flights.  A malfunction of any kind can be taken care of easily enough because you then have manual backup if you bring the Nils handle along.

FWIW, as I said earlier I do have gas power,  and am happy enough with both options I own in particular the Tanaka, but I am being lured toward Lithium Battery type power heads....I know that lead acid battery types are light enough but the batteries themselves are heavy so they are not in the running....I also know that a drill conversion is not in the running, my friend has one...it works but is kinda clunky (I'd almost prefer to run the Nils manually than with a drill...I also know that a propane head replacement is not in the running.

I have read about all the problems with Ice Gators in the past...but the newer higher voltage Annihilator seems to have worked those problems out....and many people are happy now.

But the Ion and Lithium Laser have large corporate backing and engineering behind them...this could be a good thing or a bad...not exactly sure which way it works?...

But both the Ion and the Strikemaster Lithium Laser are also something that I am considering, as well as an Ice gator....so am trying to collect beta on all...the purchase will not be made anytime during this season but I will probably invest in one of the three when things go on sale over next summer....but a key thing will be easy connections to Nils flights with any.

I am actually am now kinda preferring the Ion...but I have no hands on experience with any.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2016, 11:00 AM »
I also love my IceGator. The newer one with li batteries is great. You will have no issues getting the right setup
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Fishn'Rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2016, 04:02 PM »
Cap, over on the NY board there is a thread about the IONs and the company owner comments frequently...you might be able to get the info straight from the source....so to speak.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.