Author Topic: Hand spikes for self rescue?  (Read 4655 times)

Offline zuren

• IceShanty Rookie
Hand spikes for self rescue?
« on: Jan 27, 2016, 11:35 AM »
I've always carried some gutter nails as hand spikes but should probably upgrade to something more formal.  I've read that some guys make their own (nail sticking out of a 1" chunk of dowel rod).  Then there are commercial versions:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17200796&cp=4406646.4413993.4414792.4414811.29335066&categoryId=29335126

What do guys typically carry?

Thanks!

Offline NewIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hand spikes for self rescue?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2016, 12:06 PM »
I carry the commercial brand. They are only a few dollars and I carry a couple of extra sets for buddies that forget theirs.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2016, 04:03 PM »
I have the I think frabill, retractable spikes, so when you stab it in ice it grips, and when pulled out its covered!!

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2016, 07:31 PM »
I use the commercial. I have a pair by Celsius and also a pair by eagle claw. They're both the same thing. Just a different color. If you plan to go the home-made route I would reccomend using a couple old AMERICAN MADE screw drivers. Just cut them short and grind the tips to a point. Drill a couple holes in the handles and attach some cord to them. The nice thing about my store boughts is they stick into each other safely shielding the spikes.

Offline MFDIRT13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2016, 08:23 PM »
I run the HT black retractable style and I have the same style frabill pair. They are nice if you have a jacket or bibs that have holders for them. The exposed spike kind that stick into each other are good too. We don't have great ice where I live right now and I keep them with me whenever I go out! Hope I don't need to use them this season!
On the hunt for TROUT!!!

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2016, 11:40 PM »
Get the kind where the spike from one handle stores itself into the other handle forming a big loop you then you can drape  over you head and under one arm.  The retracts don't do that and are harder to carry as they are dangling down your sleeves and are likely to be where you can't get them or not used at all. It is all about wearing them and having them with you if you do go under. 

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2016, 02:40 PM »
I run the HT black retractable style and I have the same style frabill pair. They are nice if you have a jacket or bibs that have holders for them. The exposed spike kind that stick into each other are good too. We don't have great ice where I live right now and I keep them with me whenever I go out! Hope I don't need to use them this season!
i too use the ht picks of life i try to drape them down sleeves. i saw a jacket with lil velcro holders kept picks secure on outside of sleeves neat idea
GOD BLESS
MO
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2016, 08:09 PM »
Just buy the kind that bullpine mentioned and wear them around your neck.  For a couple of bucks, it's way cheaper than two screwdrivers and would probably cost you that much to make your own, unless you already have the materials laying around.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2016, 09:11 AM »
I carry the retractable ones after seeing a DNR officer carrying  them.  Don't know the brand and don't usually see them in the stores.

Offline jcrow75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:40 PM »
I have the retractable kind and the ones that lock into each other. Both are good I think although I have not had the need to use them. My kids used to lay on the ice and use them to drag themselves along the ice to race each other. It kept them busy and they certainly knew how to use them!

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:53 AM »
Just buy the kind that bullpine mentioned and wear them around your neck.  For a couple of bucks, it's way cheaper than two screwdrivers and would probably cost you that much to make your own, unless you already have the materials laying around.

x2

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2016, 03:57 PM »
If you're that worried about falling through the ice, wear a PFD or floatation suit. They will bob you back to the surface while you recover from the shock and panic of falling through. Then after you've regained your senses you can use your picks to help you back up on the ice if your hands are still working and not cramped from the cold which can be a big problem with just using ice picks alone and no floatation.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline throughtheroof

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2016, 04:57 PM »
 While on the topic, and just something a little different-sometimes when I am venturing out to scout out the very first ice, I bring a 10 or 11 foot composite or aluminum pole with me just under one of my arms.  I haven't had to use it but the concept is there, if you fall in it will be there to support you and spread out the weight. It is also a good tool to stop you from going completely under.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2016, 05:16 PM »
PFDs are cheap and on sale during the winter months:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/life-jackets-vests/fishing-boating-life-jackets%7C/pc/104794380/c/104741280/sc/104328180/cabela-s-deluxe-adult-flotation-vest/733800.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-boating-life-jackets%2F_%2FN-1100591%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104328180

You can wear one under your coat if you're afraid to be seen wearing one (I personally think they make you look smarter than the people that don't wear them).

Might be the best $15 you ever spend!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2016, 12:49 PM »
I have a few pairs of home made spikes I always wear a pair and carry extras in case someone forgets theirs.

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2016, 11:37 PM »
What ever version you decide to use make sure they are accessible. When you are in the water is not the time to try searching through your pockets. Mine were in my exterior breast pocket and I could not get them out when I needed them. They are attached to the out side now.

Offline burck17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:02 AM »
I really need to get some spikes, what features I guess should I look for, I just feel like it would be to easy to accidently stab yourself if you don't do it right.

Chute82

« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2016, 01:20 PM »
I have the Frabill ones and I have used them... They work.. Got me out of the water quick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.