New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: NYS ice fishing Regulation changes  (Read 2107 times)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
NYS ice fishing Regulation changes
« on: Jan 27, 2016, 10:57 AM »
So the seven device / line change is welcome to clearing up the confusion of what's a tip up and what's a hand line, But The rumor of you no longer need to name and address your traps... can't find it anywhere.

Can I get a ruling here?  ???
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
Re: NYS ice fishing Regulation changes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2016, 11:08 AM »
So the seven device / line change is welcome to clearing up the confusion of what's a tip up and what's a hand line, But The rumor of you no longer need to name and address your traps... can't find it anywhere.

Pg. 4 of the 2015-2016 Fishing Guide under "Highlights of Changes" http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/fishguide15.pdf

• A total of seven ice fishing devices/lines is
allowed for ice fishing (statewide) with a
total of 15 ice fishing devices/lines for Lake
Champlain. Names and addresses are not
required on ice fishing devices.

Offline cporter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2016, 01:25 PM »
I don't agree with the no name and address change, It makes it harder for DEC to send some one a ticket when they leave a set tip up on the lake after they leave.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2016, 01:55 PM »
I have heard that the NO NAME was an error and will be changed next year....I know I am not taking my names off because if you drill close to my holes, I want you to know who is hunting you down...lol....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2016, 01:11 AM »
7 lines in the water total, any combination of rods, tip up and tip downs, with or without signalibg device. No information required on device. ...... I will keep my info on mine... Just in case I forget to pjck it up.... I let a fellow ice fisherman know he left a tip up on the ice just last week. I caught him before he left. But if I didbt, his info would have helped me to get it back to him.
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2016, 05:42 AM »
Here weeee gooooo again..I bet there's at least 20 pages with this talk ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2016, 06:19 AM »

if your  not smart enough to read the  rule book then  then make sure you put your name and address on them and  have a  permission slip from thehome before you attempt  to fish alone!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2016, 06:28 AM »
Ding, Ding,Ding...............................................
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2016, 06:35 AM »
I put my trap tags on my tip ups...& I use 2 jig poles...
images.jpeg

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2016, 06:41 AM »
I took all my  trap tags  off  and  use  my dec  back tag number  now ......you don't want  some  anti to find your trap and  come to your house to protest  or messing with your  home when your not there ......

you  don't need to put your name  and  address on traps anymore  either  just  you  dec  id  number ....it's in the book too

you  guys  know  the state  prints those  books  for more  reasons the cleaning fish on or  lineing  kitty liter boxes  right?????

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2016, 06:45 AM »
you  guys  know  the state  prints those  books  for more  reasons the cleaning fish on or  lineing  kitty liter boxes  right?????

They use to mail one to me every year since I have a lifetime license but they stopped doing that a couple years ago to save money  :-\ Now I have to use that dang inter web thingy to find the regulations or just ask on here and cause a ruckus  :o

I hear they are changing the muskie length again

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2016, 10:55 AM »
loud  you can print one  off  line  or  get one free where ever  licenses are  sold  ...wal mart  ot  your  town clerk

Offline jschmitt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2016, 11:24 AM »
I don't agree with the no name and address change, It makes it harder for DEC to send some one a ticket when they leave a set tip up on the lake after they leave.
Your kidding me right.  You want people to get fined?  If that is really what you meant, and I hope it isn't, im pretty sure you sound like a deputy I once knew. Must be rough to want bad things to happen to others. Frankly I don't think anyone wants to leave a tip up on the ice when they leave at the cost of them.  Maybe I took you wrong but there seems to be a lot of people that like jonny law to get involved in everything. I say the fewer money grabbing lawdogs the better.  Maybe I mistook ya though....

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2016, 11:37 AM »

I  always  leave  mine  with  your  name and  address on them   :callcops: :roflmao:

ya  can't  make  this  stuff up man ......

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2016, 12:01 PM »
I have my name on everything that way someone else can't say its theirs if the walk by and pick it up or if I drop it I can hopefully get it returned to me if your not doing anything illegal you don't have to worry about getting tickets fines or even hassled by the DEC most of the wardens I've come across are real decent and fair and for the 10-15 minutes of your time they'll even give up some info on some good spots    if you ask

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2016, 12:11 PM »
loud  you can print one  off  line  or  get one free where ever  licenses are  sold  ...wal mart  ot  your  town clerk

I like searching this inter web thing for information... heck why waste gas driving somewhere when i can get everything I need through this screen thingy thats on my lap

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline TipUpDave!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2016, 01:12 PM »
Yeah, same here, fish with a group and I label everything just so I remember what is mine.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2016, 04:20 PM »
Your kidding me right.  You want people to get fined?  If that is really what you meant, and I hope it isn't, im pretty sure you sound like a deputy I once knew. Must be rough to want bad things to happen to others. Frankly I don't think anyone wants to leave a tip up on the ice when they leave at the cost of them.  Maybe I took you wrong but there seems to be a lot of people that like jonny law to get involved in everything. I say the fewer money grabbing lawdogs the better.  Maybe I mistook ya though....

I said the same thing to myself.. I accidently left a trap on the lake once, got halfway home turned around and went back.. It was right in the hole i set it in lol.. That would be about the dumbest thing to get a ticket for..

That said, my other thinking was if someone is going to go through the trouble of leaving a tip up out unattended for a day, i doubt they are gonna go through the trouble of putting their names on the traps lol..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline bfelins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2016, 05:10 PM »
I always thought it was to keep guys from putting out more than legal.  Kinda hard to say you have five out there when there are seven or eight out there with your name on it.   N.Y. only state I fished  that that rule.

Offline cporter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2016, 03:33 PM »

More than once I've come across a SET tip up frozen into the ice from the day or days before.... On a separate occasion, I took a sled ride out on the Sacandaga during the Walleye Challenge a few years ago and saw a flag with not a person in sight, back through the same bay an hour or so later, same flag, no one around. So yes, I think they should get a ticket, just like me if I forgot my fishing license, kept 300 perch in one day or had no insurance on my machine.

Offline cporter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2016, 03:36 PM »

Just to clarify, I wouldn't be the one turning them in, I would much rather return the pieces  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.