Author Topic: How big a heater needed?  (Read 1205 times)

Offline weber56

• IceShanty Rookie
How big a heater needed?
« on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:35 PM »
Looking at a Clam Yukon TC. I'm using a sunflower heater in my 3 man Frabill but think this might be a little too much for the Yukon? I was wondering if anyone would suggest the big buddy, the smaller buddy or something different? Thanks!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How big a heater needed?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:39 PM »
Buddy Jr should work fine. Big Buddy on high should roast you out of there depending upon the wind and temps. Personally I wouldn't use a sunflower in a smaller setup simply for safety reasons, but I know some who do.

Offline RustyWaterDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2016, 08:36 PM »
The regular buddy should be fine. I use one in my thermal x and it keeps it plenty warm. Just make sure if it's windy that you shovel some snow or ice shavings on the skirting to keep the wind out.

Offline Fryinpan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2016, 08:28 AM »
We have a Big Buddy and it really is too big.  We operate it on low setting 90% of the time which is just one side burning. We have friends with the "Buddy" (regular size) and it is fine and easier to pack.  We are in a Clam thermal flip.  WE have heated larger pop up shelters when groups are along for the day.  The shelters are use as a warming hut for everyone.  Still medium setting on the big buddy does the job most of the time.  It is rare that we used high with the Big Buddy. 
We get out on some big water 10 miles from the truck some times so we decided when we quit the sunflowers we would do the BIG Buddy and a 5lb propane bottle.  It works fine....but...  It is a little over kill in my opinion.  I believe a regular buddy in a thermal flip would be great.  Hope that helps some.   :tipup:

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2016, 08:38 AM »
Portable Buddy( 4,000-9,000 BTU   ) or the Hunting Buddy (6000-12,000 BTU) ..the Hunting Buddy may be a better option..as you could use it in your 3 man (assuming its uninsulated) a multitasker 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Kingsumo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2016, 09:51 AM »
My brother has same house and he uses mr heater cooker/heater. I think i might get one too. My buddy heater is not warm enough at times. Plus cooker/heater is half the price.

Offline jgouldin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:18 PM »
I have the hunting buddy in my yukon and run it on low 75% of the time unless I have wife or kids with me but it would be my choice.
Gouldin

Offline weber56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2016, 09:01 PM »
I appreciate the input everyone! I'm thinking the hunting buddy is my best option.

Offline ouray

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2016, 09:51 AM »
We carry a big buddy and a full size bottle most of the time. Don't need that much heat usually,  wife uses medium more than I would, but the bottle sitting on the skirt keeps the sled from blowing away when you stand up.. SOMETIMES.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.