Author Topic: My first pike!  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
My first pike!
« on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:30 PM »
Just caught my first pike today through the ice.  The only other pike I've caught was an accidental catch while flyfishing for smallmouth bass.  It was 10" long!  This is also the first fish I've ever caught on a tip up!  I got some tip ups from a couple members on here through the pay it forward thread, and this is the result!!  Pretty good trade for a pheasant hide!!  Girth was 18" and it was 16 pounds! 

Every year I go fishing on this day because it's the day my grandfather died 9 years ago.  This makes today very special.  Wish he could have been on the lake to see it.  But I'm still so dang excited I can't sit still. 

I have a boga grip, and I was once asked, "Why does a guy in Colorado need a boga grip?"  Well, here's your answer!!!  ;D
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: My first pike!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:54 PM »
Nice fish! No length? Gotta be 38 - 39" and nice and chubby. It's all down hill from here. I've got a couple places in WI where pike can fatten up on trout and whitefish. Completely different animals than the perch fed variety.

Now, if you're gonna be a pike guy, ditch the Boga.  :P As mama Tina told her daughter Lena on her wedding night: "Don't be such a hinkle pinkle, take it mit your hand!"  :woot:

Seriously, I guess Bogas are OK as the curve for hand landing toothies is fraught with battle scars. So way better than a gaff (never!). I've hand landed up to 47" on my own. I ran into trouble with a 45 once but that's another open water story.

Congratulations!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:59 PM »
nice job and first pike thru ice! must have been a rush!!
i never caught one on a tip up. supposed to be good eats and sweet tasting. lots of bones tho.
hope you get lots more of them. they eat too much.

Offline Westsloper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always something in my icehole!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2016, 06:55 PM »
Nicely done sir! Now you're going to be hooked! I caught my largest to date there in December, 39" 21lbs. Since I have wasted many hours chasing those toothy critters! And that puts you in 2nd place congrats! You knocked my dink 32 incher out of 3rd, I guess I'll have to go "waste" some more time up there!
Jiggin up jumbos!

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:13 PM »
Thank you guys.  Thanks a lot.  Been on cloud nine all day over this fish and the events surrounding today.  I will keep using the boga grip.  I can't bring myself to put my hands in the gills as I'm afraid it will hurt them.  I try not to even touch fish if I can help it so that I can return them without any harm, and in the best shape possible.  I had planned on returning this pike as well, but they are trying to thin out pike on this lake, and a friend of mine was fired last month, so it will certainly help him out.  Normally, I would have released it.  But my friend was on my mind, and I just couldn't "take food off his table".  Had I caught any more, I'd have released them.  He was ecstatic when I told him about this fish, and he said something this size will feed him for three or four days.  I normally don't keep fish, but don't have a problem with those who do, as long as they keep things on the legal side of the table. 

I didn't provide a length as I don't want to influence the measurement for the contest.  I know what it was, but I'll wait till it's posted in the tournament to say anything.  Just makes me feel honest about the contest if I wait to say anything I guess.  Sorry about knocking ya off the board Westsloper, but I've got a feeling this one won't make the final boards anyway.  There are some BIG pike out there somewhere.
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2016, 08:06 PM »
Awesome!

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2016, 08:30 PM »
Man, you guys out West sure have some great places to fish! Heck of a 1st pike, will be hard to top. I'd use the Boga too, best for you & the fish!

Online IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2016, 08:41 PM »
Trapper, congrads, on first ice water wolf, and on a special day, you will never forget this day. :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Bud

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:20 PM »
Awesome!  Congrats on an awesome 1st toothy critter through the ice!  What a beast!   :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Beerslushy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:38 PM »
Nice pike!  Congrats on your first.

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2016, 09:43 AM »
Way to go!  I'd say you are hooked on pike. 

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2016, 10:04 AM »
Congrats Raptor! Hell of a fish. 
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2016, 11:20 AM »
That is a very nice fish and despite some the opinions on this forum, it'll make some great table fare. There are some good pike fillet videos on YouTube if you haven't found them yet. Wye bones and how to make them disappear. Stick with the Boga or a leather glove. The pike on my avatar was my first big one that I landed by hand and I almost bled out by the time he was done with me. Good job , well done.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2016, 02:53 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'll be staying with the Boga for sure.  I don't like to injure fish, and I'm probably over cautious with it, but I'd rather be that way than ruin it for the kids growing up today.  I keep a fish now and then, and I did keep this pike for a buddy, but I release 90% or more of what I catch.  I figure that's pretty fair.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2016, 03:26 PM »
  I keep a fish now and then, and I did keep this pike for a buddy, but I release 90% or more of what I catch.  I figure that's pretty fair.

Good move on getting someone else to eat that slimy thing- :P

Although you may have lost a buddy!  LOL-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2016, 03:34 PM »
HAHAHAHA!!!!!  He loves them.  We've taken some to him before as we are trying to help him out since he lost his job.

Offline Westsloper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always something in my icehole!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:29 PM »
Despite being a $&@?# to fillet, they're actually quite tasty! I keep all the 24-28" fish I catch, fry the fillets and pickle the y-bones.
Jiggin up jumbos!

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:42 PM »
Might have to try eating my next one, unless its huge again.  I've never liked eating big, older fish.  They just don't seem to taste right.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Pike as table fare. Glad all you guys hate 'em, that just leaves more for me! Y-bones are EZPZ to slip out for a completely boneless fillet. And yes, raptortrapper, bigger fish have a different texture and just don't eat as well. On the other hand I've carved up a couple of 40+ over the years and they make awesome poormans lobster..... ;)

24 -30 inches is my "keeper" window except in the south part of the state that has a min size of 26". Bigger than that I prefer to return to the gene pool. I could say I'd make an exception in the case of a severely damaged fish but even at that, they have a better chance of survival in their element as opposed to my cast iron skillet of grease....

I was really upset a number of years ago when I had to leave a 37" musky float that I knew would never make it (after over two hours of revival protocol) because the min size on that body was 45". They eat good too but don't tell anyone..... ::)

I believe in C&R but I'm not a 100%er. In-Fish promotes "selective harvest" and I can live with that. :thumbsup:

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:05 PM »
I believe in C&R but I'm not a 100%er. In-Fish promotes "selective harvest" and I can live with that. :thumbsup:
Yup!  I agree with this.  I have my own slot limits on perch and trout.  Guess I'll have to get limits for the pike too.  24" to 30" sounds like a good slot limit to me! ;D

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:29 PM »
Nice ... did you bust a cap in him when you... got him on the ice ? What caliber is proficient  in dispatching a water wolf  45 lc... 454 .. 500sw?
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline mike 7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:34 PM »
Great fish
That will be hard to top. Congrats

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2016, 08:20 PM »
Nice ... did you bust a cap in him when you... got him on the ice ? What caliber is proficient  in dispatching a water wolf  45 lc... 454 .. 500sw?

45 Colt with a 335gr LNGC would probably do the job very well.  I'm sure my 500JRH with the 440gr WFNGC and 23gr of H110 would have volunteered to do it too, but all I had on me was my 1911 TRP with some stock 45 ACP Federal Hydroshock, and I wasn't about to waste one of those on a pike!  WAY to expensive!!!

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2016, 04:06 PM »
Sheesh with that load you could dispatch  the fish and punch new holes to fish through... and leave  the  auger home. Lmao
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2016, 05:45 PM »
Sheesh with that load you could dispatch  the fish and punch new holes to fish through... and leave  the  auger home. Lmao

HAHA!!!  No kidding!!  And clear the ice of all others trying to fish!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2016, 07:02 AM »

Back "in the day" Northwoods musky guides would pack a .38 in the tackle box as it was legal to shoot muskies as a method of "landing". My uncle had a little Beretta .25 tip-up in his tackle box. Only used it once to my knowledge.

I laugh thinking about some of the scenes that likely transpired with a couple of greenhorns, a handgun and a rambunctious musky at the boatside. :roflmao: Holes in the boat, hit the prop, someone's foot; if there were only YouTube from back then......

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2016, 04:31 AM »

musky ---- They eat good too but don't tell anyone..... ::)

Might be the 1st time I've ever heard this, Don't think i know anyone who has eaten one.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2016, 04:42 AM »
RaptorTrapper, I think you are mistaken.  Your Grandfather WAS with you! You just didn't see him, but he was there.

Online IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2016, 10:11 AM »
I think he might have paid another visit yesterday  ;D
Bud

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2016, 10:49 AM »
RaptorTrapper, I think you are mistaken.  Your Grandfather WAS with you! You just didn't see him, but he was there.

I agree!  And like IFF said, he was there again!  Caught a 31" pike, and my buddy caught a 32" pike a couple hours later!!  He's holding both of them in the picture.  Then IFF and I both caught a couple small ones! 

Good to meet up with ya Bud, and anxious to do it again.  Was a good day!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.